St. Dominic's Preview (Van Morrison)

Thread: St. Dominic's Preview (Van Morrison)

Tags: None
  1. jpjgolden said:

Default St. Dominic's Preview (Van Morrison)

I need help understanding some of the lyrics to St. Dominic's Preview released in 1972. According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_D..._Preview_(song), Morrison learned of a mass being held at St. Dominic's in San Francisco. The mass was for peace in Belfast, Ireland.

Specifically, I'm lost on the bold lyrics, below. What does he mean when he refers to a 'jagged storey block'?

In the second case, which town blew what hoist? And was it San Francisco, Belfast or Buffalo?

I will appreciate any light you can shine on this problem for me.

Meanwhile back in San Francisco
    We're trying hard to make this whole thing blend,
    As we sit upon this jagged
    Storey block, with you my friend.

And it's a long way to Buffalo.
    It's a long way to Belfast city too.
    And I'm hoping the choice won't blow the hoist
    'cos this town, they bit off more than they can chew.

jandros said:

I honestly don't know, but no one else has replied yet ... so ... my "non-reply" should move this topic higher again for the sake of visibility ... for a moment or two at least. Someone should catch it soon. But while I'm here, what the heck, I'll give it a feeble shot-in-the-dark:

jagged storey block ... "jagged" story just refers to war-torn Belfast? The story of the jagged situation ... and they're just sitting, watching (or talking?), wondering if the deal in SF will help anything??

choice won't blow the hoist ... if no one else suggests anything specific, maybe it's just conveniently poetic?

Weak response I know, but I'm also interested to see if there's more to it. I like some of VM's stuff.
    Last edited by jandros; 07-12-2008 at 10:48 PM.
  3. jpjgolden said:

Thanks for your thoughts, jandros. Yes, it is difficult separating poetic license from meaningful dialog. Also, not having a keen enough personal understanding of the troubles hampers me, too.

JP
  4. tgrs said:

as van said his lyrics are just words and don't have to mean anything.
    don't look for a meaning in everything he writes just enjoy his music.
  5. jpjgolden said:

You're probably right, tgrs. Thanks, anyway.

JP