Help with a Classic rock song

Thread: Help with a Classic rock song

Tags: None
  1. Maj said:

Default Help with a Classic rock song

I heard this song the other day, and it was on a oldies/classic rock station.
    And it threw me off majorly, because this song had a very distorted lead guitar along with a distorted bass, over powering the vocalist, even when I turned the volume up higher, the vocals were hard to make out, not the kind of song Id expect to find on there but its clear its a older song, Im guessing early 70's. Now, the song progressed on just with the singer singing, this same riff which was very fast and catchy and the bass was very fast until a solo, which was a bit of a silence if I recall right with a keyboard playing a very soft sound, then finally a short guitar solo kicks in and back to the regular song it goes.

The vocalist voice wasnt that deep and sounded mostly clear, the only lyrics I could pickup was something along the lines of "time for a change (we gotta or you gotta) rearrange"

any other questions ill try to answer.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks

2. Maj said:

Yeah its classic rock, this station only plays songs that are like mid to late 70's and back.
    And its clear just by the sound of the guitar, its early 70's
    The distort was sorta like a heavy fuzz if its any help.

Another thing I remember is, the lyric structure was odd, it almost sounded to me like there was no chorus, HOWEVER, there most certainly could have, it was just like the main parts led right into the chorus with out any change.

Once again, any helps appreciated ^^

atmaestro said:

Try "Change Partners" by Crosby Stills & Nash

So we change partners
    Time to change partners
    You must change partners
    Again
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

4. Maj said:

lolipop, well the thing about it is, you are on the right track, if i had to say a band i think it would be, bad company would be one of much choices,

atmaster, isn't 'change partners' a acoustic song, just from my memory Im thinking it is. and I dont Think (keyword lol) its a Crosby stills and Nash type song.
    Its more heavier feeling

logan01 said:

Roll With The Changes by Reo Speedwagon ??

6. Maj said:

Logan, thats not it but thanks, the vocals are similar, clean like that song, but the lead is alot more louder and covering the vocals.
    And i kind of had a flashback today, and I sort of rem how the vocals sounded, you know how ozzy sounds, in certain songs, like Flying High Again, well, the vocals kinda resembled that.
    There is a possibility this could be a Black Sabbath song, know any songs by them that sound like my first description with the lyrics?

7. Musicismyfirstlove said:

I have to try this one (because of the "change and rearrange)

Graham Nash -Chicago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYddWeNoP0

8. Maj said:

thanks Music, but thats not it either
    your getting the vocal sound, but i think everyones missing the lead guitar, it has a lead guitar thats loud, and distorted, with a fast and catchy riff

9. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Right , try this Michael Kiske & Gamma Ray -Time to break free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue6xQf9HFpQ

10. Maj said:

Sorry thats not it, rem its an older song, 70s and back most likely.
    Any other ideas?

11. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Nooo , not really , maybe something by Jeff Beck

(Guessing now because of the organ bit) Deep Purple /Uriah Heep..

12. Maj said:

Music, its highly possible something by deep purple, but do you know anysongs by either of those bands that sound similar, if so please say so, Im looking at them at the moment but they have lots of songs lol

also i've sent the radio station i heard it on emails but yet no luck with a response from them

13. Musicismyfirstlove said:

No , I'm sorry to say ..I'm at a dead end here , I can't match the lyrics (and believe me I tried )and am not familiar enough with Deep Purple ..

atmaestro said:

Well my wild guess is from the 1970's...

The Brady Bunch (yes, from the TV show, believe it or not) produced several music albums. One of the songs, "Time to Change", has lyrics that are a close match for your lyrics.

Well its time to change
    then its time to change
    move by the time come along for the ride, dont you see
    when its time to change you've got to rearrange
    move your heart to what your gonnabe.

Zachary Throne performed a cover of the song for the movie, "Very Brady Sequel" in 1997.

Also Michael Carpenter had a cover of the song in 2002.
    Last edited by atmaestro; 07-18-2008 at 05:40 PM.

15. Maj said:

Its alright, thanks for trying Music.

Atmaster, the only problem is the brady bunch music wasnt exactly rock, but it was pop lol.
    True the lyrics have similar parts, but the songs are nothing alike.

Thanks though, if you have any ideas of some other songs its very appreciated, as with other people as well!!

atmaestro said:

Yeah there wasn't a snowball's chance in Hades that the Brady Bunch was your song but I couldn't resist... My next wild guesses are:

"Time for a Change" by Helix, LyinMachine or Pendragon

17. Maj said:

I found a song called Time For a Change by helix, but I couldnt find the lyrics for it or find a preview or anything of it.
    I couldnt even find a band called LyinMachine and I couldnt find any songs similar by Pendragon.

I still have no response from the radio station which is depressing its been a week now, and Im not sure how long the computer system will show if it does show what songs its played.
    But im still trying lol

atmaestro said:

Oops... The name of the band is LyinHeart.

Here are some links with a 30 second sample:

Helix
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...3:jnfwxclrldke

LyinHeart
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...3:hbfqxmygldte

Pendragon
    http://mp3slot.com/al40069/Kowtow/

19. Maj said:

hmmm, the helix one, between 0:03-0:04 till 0:14 resembled like the fast paced sound of the song i heard, but then it quits, then vocalist starts, in the song I heard, during what I heard of it, the guitar was playing the riff whilst the singer sung, if you know how the rest of that Helix song goes, does that sound like it?

And the LyinHeart and Pendragon definitely arent it.

20. HunKs said:

Hi - I'll probably just add to confusion - or maybe spark someone's memory.... How about something from Led Zeppelin - they always sounded somewhat distorted to me (one of the reason's that I never quite latched on to 'em, me being a "text" man!!)!!

HunKs