Lyrics copyrights are needed

Thread: Lyrics copyrights are needed

Tags: None
  1. hellsd said:

Default Lyrics copyrights are needed

Hi All,

I just found this wonderful forum and I would like to know if one of you can asssit with me with the following:

I would like to use the lyrics of the following Christmas songs for retail product(I will just print the lyrics):
    FROSTY THE SNOWMAN
    LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
    We Wish You A Merry Christmas
    Jingle Bells
    Silent Night

However, before starting mass production, I tried to look for the copyrights owners of the songs and what is the fee I would need to pay for each of the song's lyrics.
    So I found out that these songs:
    FROSTY THE SNOWMAN
    LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW

The copyrights are owned by warnerchappell and they want ~8% for each product - Does it make sens?

However, I didn't find who is the owner of the following, maybe they are public domain:
    We Wish You A Merry Christmas
    Jingle Bells
    Silent Night

I really appreciate your guidline or any piece of advice you can give :-)

Regards,

Roy.

Jester said:

We Wish You A Merry Christmas (Taken from Wikipedia)
    "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" is a popular secular sixteenth-century English carol from the West Country of England. It is one of the few traditional holiday carols that makes mention of the New Year celebration.
    I'm guessing that's Public Domain

Jingle Bells (taken from Wikipedia)
    "Jingle Bells", also known as "One Horse Open Sleigh", is one of the best known and commonly sung secular Christmas songs in the world. It was written by James Lord Pierpont (1822–1893) and copyrighted under the title 'One Horse Open Sleigh' on September 16, 1857.

Silent Night (taken from wikipedia)
    "Silent Night" ("Stille Nacht") is a popular Christmas carol. The original lyrics of the song Stille Nacht were written in German by the priest Father Josef Mohr and the melody was composed by the Austrian headmaster Franz Xaver Gruber. The version of the melody that is generally sung today differs slightly (particularly in the final strain) from Gruber's original. Today, the lyrics and melody are in the public domain.

3. hellsd said:

Thanks Jester, that is also my assumption, but how can I be sure.
    Shall I advise with legal entity? Is there any official refernece for these?

As I understand, since these 3 are public domain, I can use the lyrics free, but I just want to make sure. Up until now, I didn't find an official documentation and I have no idea where to find it...

Jester said:

Quote Originally Posted by hellsd View Post
    Shall I advise with legal entity? Is there any official refernece for these?
    http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/pr...usic_copyright
    ^^ English Copyright Laws

You can find the international laws either from there or on the net

As I understand, since these 3 are public domain
    No, Only two are public domain.
    As I've already mentioned, Jingle Bells is copywritten.
    "...One likes to believe in the freedom of music
    but glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity."