Learning German language

Thread: Learning German language

Tags: None

guess.who.bebek said:

what about pronunciation ? can someone help me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpPe_xvihA

2. slotzi said:

Talking From realy german

Ich finds cool das sich auch leute die sonst nix mit deutsch zu tun habe sich acuh damit mal befassen

3. simplyme said:

is it true, that english and german are sister languages? I took a year of german, 10 yrs ago, and the verbs were very similar. most verbs were just like in english, the only difference is that they take an -EN at the end.

i'd love to learn this language, and i know the basics, but i'd like somebody to explain me the grammar. it's been so long, that i've forgotten most of it.
    Last edited by simplyme; 10-07-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: misspelling

Lyssa said:

Yes German and English are linked that's true^^

Is there any specific grammar point you'd like to know? Like you said you have some basics, I don't really know where to start in explanations XD
    Maybe the best way is to give us sentences where you hesitate for us to correct and explain the rule

muge said:

hallo jedermann, ich könnte deutsch ehemals, aber leider hab ich vergessen manche dinge. so, meine fragen sind:

1) was war der unterschied mit konj 1. und 2. ich erinnere, dass konjunktive 1 eine form ist, dass wir in kindergeschichten usw benützen. und konj 2 eine form wie zum beispiel in englisch " i would, i could". es tut mir leid dass ich diese formen vergessen habe. könnt ihr bitte diese forme für personal pronomen machen als ich, du, er/sie/es, wir ihr sie Sie?

und ich hoffe dass ihr die message versteht

vielen dank!

muge said:

anyone???

Cosmonaut said:

Hey Müge, nice to see you over on our forum!

The problem I encounter when trying to help you is that I haven't a clue and secondly that hardly anyone does ever use it right (I just read a wiki article to find out what Konjunktiv is, lol)

First chance to help you after you've translated so many things in the Turkish section and now I can't do it, aww -- maybe wait for Steena, she's probably smarter regarding the German language than I am

muge said:

thank you cosmonaut, even wanting to help is something precious to me, i really appreciate that.. well when i was in highschool, i learnt german and study it for 7 years, but even my english is better than my german, can you believe it so, i m trying to remember and improve my german, i started with this question.. i think this is my only problem about grammer, but i really have to improve my "wortschatz".

Lyssa said:

Well, for the verb "sein"

Konj I is:

Ich sei
    du sei(e)st
    er/es/sie sei
    Ihr seiet
    sie seien
    Sie seien

Konj II is:

ich wäre
    du wärest
    er/es/sie wäre
    wir wären
    ihr wäret
    sie wären
    Sie wären

Now about the difference it's harder to explain when you should use one or the other XD In my German book they say:
    Konj I is to express:
    - indirect speech
    - simultanity
    - a wish
    Konj II:
    - in place of Konj I (due to confusions possibility)
    - for a wish that seems impossible
    - to be polite

muge said:

ah, thank you so much. i will make some examples in order to see if i get them correctly or not, can you control them:

er hat mir gesagt dass Stefan 22 Jahre alt sei. (konj 1)
    ich würde in Atina leben. ( konj 2, a wish)

are they correct?

Cosmonaut said:

The first one definitely is correct, the second one is too, but it's too short to be understood (it just means "I'd live in Atina"...should be a bit longer like I'd live in Atina if I had enough money or something of the sort I think.) -> Ich würde in Atina leben, wenn ich genug Geld hätte.

And yea I know what you mean about "Wortschatz"...it's the same for me in Turkish...I'm just doing a course at university (I'm actually their only student haha) but grammar isn't a problem at all, it's just remembering all the words...

Steena said:

A "Wortschatz" is of no use if can't handle any grammar I see that every day ... I know so many words but when facing a particular sentence I am just completely overcharged with the grammar though I know each and every word the sentence consists of Learning both simultaneously is the best you can do!
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

muge said:

cosmanaut, vielen Dank für meine Saetze kontrollieren. ich hab nicht gewissen dass du turkish lernst. wenn du fragen hast, darfst ( oder kannst? ) du mir fragen, ich werde meine beste machen. ah, ich kann nicht glauben dass ich zdp (zentrale deutsche prüfung) habe und steena, du hast recht, ich soll meinen wortschatz verbessern und manchen grammatik regeln erinnern, aber ich hab keine ahnung wie ich den mache. vielleicht mit deutscher musik hören und bücher lesen, genau?

lol, i hope you guys understand what i m talking about

Nachthart said:

soooo. what are the regular endings for verbs and how do you conjugate them? I took 2 years of spanish and found ir boring but their verb endings were AR,ER,and IR. So far all I can see in German is EN but I'm probably wrong. Nothing is ever that easy... but like the Spanish AR verbs congugates to:
    Yo(I) [-o
    Tu(you) -as
    El/Ella(he/she) -a
    Nos.(we) -amos
    Vos.(you formal) -ais
    Ellos(they) -an

how would the Germans do it...? (I hope I'm making myself understandable...)

citlalli said:

Hi! Yes, you are right, german verbs end in "-en". And for the conjugation the endings are as follows:

Ich (I) -e
    du (you, singular, informal) -st
    er/sie/es (he/she/it) -t
    wir (we) -en
    ihr (you, plural, informal) -t
    sie (they) -en
    Sie (you, formal) -en

For example:

verb machen (to do, to make)

Ich mache
    du machst
    er/sie/es macht
    wir machen
    ihr macht
    sie machen
    Sie machen

When a verb ends in "ten" (eg "arbeiten"), then we add an extra "e" in the second and third persons in singular and the second in plural:

du arbeitest
    er/sie/es arbeitet
    ihr arbeitet

I hope this helps you a bit
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Nachthart said:

Default nya

cool beans. I'll take note of it and if I think of some other questions durring the day I'll post it. Lol. My boyfriends dislikes this forum. He doesn't want me learning German b/c he's Jewish and only relates anything German to "Dumb@$$ Nazi" ...>,> so non-supportive...

citlalli said:

If I had listened to all my relatives' and friends' opinions and prejudices, I would never had learnt any language, done any travelling and would have married my neighbour and had 20 kids by now... LOL... you just keep it up as long as it makes you happy
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Cosmonaut said:

No offense, but your boyfriend is a braindead tool if he really thinks so. As has been said in the previous post, do whatever you feel is right...and if you have questions, of course, you are more than welcome to post them here. And regarding "Endungen"...it's not quite as logical as it is in Spanish, we have many irregular endings and the logic is not really to be found (in most cases)...but from what I have been told, it really pays off to learn it (internationally)...I mean, I personally wouldn't want to do it, but it's what people have told me! So, good luck!

Nachthart said:

Unhappy

I don't think he's neccissarily braindead...he just likes to argue. He's "Mein Kampf"lol. It gives us something to disagree on since we're the same everywhere else, but newayz... It makes it a little easier having 2 German transfers in my math class...It would be a whole lot easier if we just had an actual class though. I'm just printing of a bunch of common verbs and go ahead and start learning those, I figure it's a good place to start, that and numbers. Another question though... In spanish everything had a gender, words ending in "o" were generally male and "a" endings ment female. What is that like in German?

citlalli said:

In German there are three genders: female, male and neutral. Unfortunately there are only a few rules, and the rest u have to memorize . These are the rules I remember now (sorry if I forget some, but I'm just taking it out of my head, as I don't have my german course or grammar books with me):

Endings -ung -heit -keit -tion are female. For example Übung (exercise), Freiheit (freedom), Möglichkeit (possibility), Revolution (revolution).

Endings -lein and -chen are neutral. Mädchen (girl), Büchlein (little book).

For professions and nationalities in most cases -er is for male and -erin for female: Lehrer (teacher, male), Lehrerin (teacher, female); Italiener (italian man), Italienerin.

That's it for now! If I think of more I'll post them here