Learning German language

Thread: Learning German language

Tags: None

Steena said:

You got it? I am surprised! In case you do not understand something I tried to explain (really, I am not too good at explaining) - ask again! Because there are others who maybe have different ways to explain something.
    And in case you need something else, just go ahead and ask!
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

tim2286 said:

numbers ... ugh ... how would you say something like 53,943. I just pulled the number of out my ***. I know that let's say 10,000 is zehntausend, is my number dreifunfzigtausendneunhundretdreiundvierzig then? There must be a space somewhere in there.

Steena said:

Yes you are very close dreiundfünfzigtausend neunhundert dreiundvierzig

Kaulitz_girl_483 said:

Hey leute!!!
    Well i have 6 quessstions

1. I know that when a word ends in “chen” its like diiminutive (kusschen, bisschen, blumchen), and i was wondering if this works with names too...u know, “tom” could b “tomchen” (like tommy)? or not?

2. *** means “hamma geil”?, i know that it comes from =hammer geil, but what means exactly?

3. when i should use “scheiss” n “scheisse”, i mean whats the difference?

4. mmm i listened a song on a DVD, just a little part...i googled it, cuz i wanna know what’s the songtext, but i just found 1 website when these “sentences” r

““Und später kann er bringt einen Stern zurück, dass er mir sagt, sie mich besuchen, wenn sie wollen“

I mean who knows if its correct (but i dont trust in that source), maybe someone of u guys...could watch the video, here’s the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jxxeqU9ucI
    I just wanna know the german text of the 4:32 - 4:43 minute (when bill sing “something”)...the englisch translation is:

“And then she sends me a star back, which says “drop by if you want to”
    Its correct? Or not?

So the german text that i found is wrong, huh? Cuz “sie” doesnt fit there!, so it would b “du”...anyways please tell me what did u listen in the video

There r 3 sentences i guess...its quietly help me!

5. How do u say “u rock!” in german?

6. and this is about holidays...mmm i was chating with a german girl once, and i asked her if there in DE they celebrate halloween, and she told me “no”, thhats clear, and she started to talk about “carnival” (¿?) she wrote a weird name, that i cannot remember XD, so whats the name of the German Carnival?

Ok...maybe these r silly questions, but answer them, bitte?!
    Tschuess ^^
    Ps: sorry... my english is like a nightmare

Steena said:

1. I know that when a word ends in “chen” its like diiminutive (kusschen, bisschen, blumchen), and i was wondering if this works with names too...u know, “tom” could b “tomchen” (like tommy)? or not?
    No, -chen is most often not used with names That happens only at rare occasions and with little girls.

2. *** means “hamma geil”?, i know that it comes from =hammer geil, but what means exactly?
    Absolutely awesome - it's pretty much part of slang and commonly used among youths

3. when i should use “scheiss” n “scheisse”, i mean whats the difference?
    "Scheisse" can be used on its own, when you use "Scheiss" there needs to be a second word, like "Scheiss Schule".

4. mmm i listened a song on a DVD, just a little part...i googled it, cuz i wanna know what’s the songtext, but i just found 1 website when these “sentences” r

““Und später kann er bringt einen Stern zurück, dass er mir sagt, sie mich besuchen, wenn sie wollen“

I mean who knows if its correct (but i dont trust in that source), maybe someone of u guys...could watch the video, here’s the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jxxeqU9ucI
    I just wanna know the german text of the 4:32 - 4:43 minute (when bill sing “something”)...the englisch translation is:

“And then she sends me a star back, which says “drop by if you want to”
    Its correct? Or not?

So the german text that i found is wrong, huh? Cuz “sie” doesnt fit there!, so it would b “du”...anyways please tell me what did u listen in the video

There r 3 sentences i guess...its quietly help me!

The sentence is "Und dann schickt sie mir nen Stern zurück und da steht dann für mich drauf: 'Wenn du Lust hast, komm vorbei'. The English translation given in the video is right

5. How do u say “u rock!” in german?
    Hamma geil Or "Klasse", "Super gemacht", "Spitze"

6. and this is about holidays...mmm i was chating with a german girl once, and i asked her if there in DE they celebrate halloween, and she told me “no”, thhats clear, and she started to talk about “carnival” (¿?) she wrote a weird name, that i cannot remember XD, so whats the name of the German Carnival?
    That depends on where you live in Germany. There are regions in the country where Carnival is very popular and there are some, where it's not celebrated too much. We call it "Karneval" or "Fastnacht", "Fasching" - three words for the same thing.

Kaulitz_girl_483 said:

coool Steena, i apreciate it, danke schoen

Cosmonaut said:

No, -chen is most often not used with names That happens only at rare occasions and with little girls.

Just as a minor addition, I think you may use "-lein" instead (for names).

So e.g. Tom -> Tomilein, Chris -> Chrisilein etc -- if you want to use the diminutive forms

Kaulitz_girl_483 said:

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
    Just as a minor addition, I think you may use "-lein" instead (for names).

So e.g. Tom -> Tomilein, Chris -> Chrisilein etc -- if you want to use the diminutive forms
    thanxxxxxxxxx
    for the info

Kaulitz_girl_483 said:

Red face

ok, this is my last question (i mean 4 now) , i just need to know this, i asked here about killerpilze songs n stuff, cuz i wanna listen them, but...i found this video, its a really short video, so could someone of u...tranlate it for me, i dont understand a **** hahaha, all i know is that they're laughing on bill kaulitz, so that pissed me off, or maybe they're not????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJefoz8Y
    mmm well jo and max said something could u tell me what they're talking about?
    Last edited by Kaulitz_girl_483; 02-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.

citlalli said:

1st. guy "Die, die Frisur von Bill früher und jetzt.... so geil ist die nicht"

2nd. guy "Also, früher fand ich sie ganz schlimm, aber jetzt kann man sehr gut..."

1st guy interrupts and says "... jetzt ist es noch schlimmer!!!"
    -------------------------

1st. guy "Bill's hairdo before and now.... it's not that cool"

2nd. guy "Well, I found it quite bad before, but now it's possible to..."

1st guy "... now it's even worse!!!"
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Kaulitz_girl_483 said:

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    1st. guy "Die, die Frisur von Bill früher und jetzt.... so geil ist die nicht"

2nd. guy "Also, früher fand ich sie ganz schlimm, aber jetzt kann man sehr gut..."

1st guy interrupts and says "... jetzt ist es noch schlimmer!!!"
    -------------------------

1st. guy "Bill's hairdo before and now.... it's not that cool"

2nd. guy "Well, I found it quite bad before, but now it's possible to..."

1st guy "... now it's even worse!!!"
    omg...i almost pass out, ***????
    thanx citlalli are u from mexico, right? or italy? anyways i apreciate it...
    kusschen 4dich

Cosmonaut said:

Haha yea, maybe the guy with hair like this (I don't judge or anything but...) shouldn't laugh about Bill

citlalli said:

LOL ... da hast du völlig Recht Cosmo/ you're completely right about it Cosmo

@Kaulitz girl: you're welcome Yes, I'm from Mexico, are you argentinian?
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

tim2286 said:

with all the talk about swiss german. I want to know how different is German in Germany/Switzerland/Austria? Is it like american english/british english?

Cosmonaut said:

You can say so, yes.

They use different words and pronounce them differently but in the end it's based on the same language and we understand each other without any problems (or only with minor problems in my case). It's the same with American/British English as far as I can tell.

Have a good day!

sohuda said:

hi, can anyone translate those lines:
    Tränen fließen über Tränen
    Schmerzen die mich so sehr quälen
    Du warst der Sinn für mein Leben
    Ohne Dich will ich nicht Leben

Wars nur ein Traum gewesen
    Tag und Nacht verlorne Seelen
    Wörter in mir die nicht reden
    Ich gibs auf, du willst nicht lieben

thanks
    The hours of pain have yielded good,
    Which prosperous days refused;
    As herbs, though scentless when entire,
    Spread fragrance when they’re bruised.

Cosmonaut said:

Quote Originally Posted by sohuda View Post
    hi, can anyone translate those lines:
    Tränen fließen über Tränen // Tears flow over tears (alot of tears basically)
    Schmerzen die mich so sehr quälen // Pains that torture me so greatly
    Du warst der Sinn für mein Leben // You were the sense/point of my life
    Ohne Dich will ich nicht Leben // Without you I no longer want to live

Wars nur ein Traum gewesen // Was just a dream
    Tag und Nacht verlorne Seelen // Lost souls day and night
    Wörter in mir die nicht reden // Words inside of me that don't talk/speak
    Ich gibs auf, du willst nicht lieben // I give up, you don't want to love

thanks

There you go. Where is it taken from?

sohuda said:

thanks a lot Cosmonaut!! it's taken from a turkish song that has 2 verses in German, it's called: Kaderime yazilansin
    here's a link for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293OF8EYdk0
    The hours of pain have yielded good,
    Which prosperous days refused;
    As herbs, though scentless when entire,
    Spread fragrance when they’re bruised.

tim2286 said:

a couple of (hopefully easy) questions:

1. What is the difference between let's say sauber and sauberlich. My understanding is that one is used when a noun is not in the sentence. Das ist sauber. and the other one when the noun is present am I right? .... sauberlich loeffel ... The dictionary says clean, neat for both even though the two words are different.

2. Is the 'd' in Stadt silent? then stadt and staat sound almost the same. The second's 'aa' silent is longer than 'a'.

Steena said:

1. What is the difference between let's say sauber and sauberlich. My understanding is that one is used when a noun is not in the sentence. Das ist sauber. and the other one when the noun is present am I right? .... sauberlich loeffel ... The dictionary says clean, neat for both even though the two words are different.

Sauber does exist, sauberlich doesn't That's the difference Maybe you just picked a bad example but I do not get what you mean. Your example is: Ein sauberer Löffel; sauber in this case is the adjective. Do you mean "säuberlich"? I'd say that this is not commonly used anymore, it is an adjective as well. When you're unsure about which of these two you'd use in a sentence: Just pick the first anyways! You can't be much wrong with that!

2. Is the 'd' in Stadt silent? then stadt and staat sound almost the same. The second's 'aa' silent is longer than 'a'.

No it isn't, but it is not pronounced strongly, that's why people always think it is not pronounced. The 'dt'-sound is harder than the simple 't'.