strange request - arabic names

Thread: strange request - arabic names

Tags: None
  1. Jihan said:

Default strange request - arabic names

I've got a question about Arabic names...well I'd like to find names that represent the English name VICTORIA the best in Arabic.

In addition to that I need the Arabic name in its writing as well as the transcription

I've got some names already and it would be great if somebody could help me with that and tell me of those names are really standing for victory, triumph, success and what the Arabic transcription would be.

If anybody knows further names similar to the meaning of VICTORIA, please tell me

These are the ones that I've got (please tell me also if they are truly female names)

Barika
    Entissar
    Faizah
    Fawziyah
    Hadassah
    Muyasser
    Najah / Najiha
    Nasira
    Wafiqah
    Yumn
    Zafar / Zafirah

Thanks in advance

larosa said:

Barika(this one is not good ,i don't know such name)
    Entissar(this one seems to be the most accurate)
    Faizah(it means winner and not victorious)
    Fawziyah(the same)
    Hadassah(it's not a name)
    Muyasser(making things easy doesn't exist as a name there is "tayseer")
    Najah / Najiha(it means successful)
    Nasira(that's wanna is accurate too)
    Wafiqah(not really)
    Yumn(there is yumna ,but yumn means wealth)
    Zafar / Zafirah(may be zafira but not as god as nasira or intisar)

i would go for intisar

3. Jihan said:

Quote Originally Posted by larosa View Post
    Barika(this one is not good ,i don't know such name)
    Entissar(this one seems to be the most accurate)
    Faizah(it means winner and not victorious)
    Fawziyah(the same)
    Hadassah(it's not a name)
    Muyasser(making things easy doesn't exist as a name there is "tayseer")
    Najah / Najiha(it means successful)
    Nasira(that's wanna is accurate too)
    Wafiqah(not really)
    Yumn(there is yumna ,but yumn means wealth)
    Zafar / Zafirah(may be zafira but not as god as nasira or intisar)

i would go for intisar

I didn't prefer Barika anyway

yeah, I think Entissar means triumph, which would be greatly fitting

Faizah and Fawziyah are ok

I've read that "Hadassar" means tree of myrtle, which is a symbol for victory

And Yumn means luck and wealth

whcih ones are commonly used as names...and which rarely?

Thanks by the way for your answer
    Last edited by Jihan; 07-24-2008 at 12:32 PM.

4. Jihan said:

Oh, and another thing...could you write for me all of them in Arabic, please?

larosa said:

ok

Barika//بريكة(not a name)
    Entissar//انتصار(it is a name)
    Faizah//فائزة /فايزة(it is a name)
    Fawziyah//فوزية(it is a name)
    Hadassah//(i've never heard of it )
    Muyasser//ميسر(i daon't think so)
    Najah / Najiha//نجاح/ناجحة (the first is a name)
    Nasira//نصيرة(it is a name)
    Wafiqah//وفيقة(not really)
    Yumn//يمن(it is a name but mostly yumna)
    Zafar / Zafirah//ظفر .ظفيرة(not a name)

6. Jihan said:

Oh, and Hadassah is Hebrew, I think,

הדסה hadAssa ... mh, it's strang...and it was the name of the Queen Esther

So not Arabic, I guess

larosa said:

yes i guess so too

LOUIE said:

ARE YOU TRYING TO NAME YOUR DAUGHTER? OR JUST TRYING TO HAVE FUN AND LEARN ABOUT ARABIC GIRLY NAMES? Cause If I WERE YOU, I wouldn't choose any of those names for my daughter, unless you were black{ they use old arabic names } which are rare to hear in the middle east like (TARIKA) which is the female version of TARIK. so I would like to say VIctoria sounds way better than MINTESSRA, and winner sound much better than RABHA never make this mistake if you're going to pick a name for your daughter, good luck

9. Jihan said:

Quote Originally Posted by LOUIE View Post
    ARE YOU TRYING TO NAME YOUR DAUGHTER? OR JUST TRYING TO HAVE FUN AND LEARN ABOUT ARABIC GIRLY NAMES? Cause If I WERE YOU, I wouldn't choose any of those names for my daughter, unless you were black{ they use old arabic names } which are rare to hear in the middle east like (TARIKA) which is the female version of TARIK. so I would like to say VIctoria sounds way better than MINTESSRA, and winner sound much better than RABHA never make this mistake if you're going to pick a name for your daughter, good luck
    I don't have children, Dear...anyhow

No, actually I was just interested in this, as one of my friends wanted to know, what would be the best transfer of her name in Arabic...I knew about some, but didn't know if they're rather popular or not...anyway, about so many I felt they just sound like belly dancers' names...

Cordially

Jihan

10. Jihan said:

@ Louie: and I wouldn't say that Victoria sounds way better than MINTESSRA, and winner sounds much better than RABHA...but that's my view

Daydream said:

Faiza and Najah would be the more common newer names, but they're all pretty old and most people don't use those names nowadays.
    Ya reitni 2amle b sha3rak, kel lama ashta2lak atsa7sel w ashoufak ♥

12. Jihan said:

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream View Post
    Faiza and Najah would be the more common newer names, but they're all pretty old and most people don't use those names nowadays.

I don't know...in Germany for example there seems to be a trend to use eldery names again

Anyway, thanks for the answers

Daydream said:

Sure, they can always make a comeback because some people like the more classic names, but they're not very common anymore.

14. Jihan said:

Sure, they can always make a comeback because some people like the more classic names, but they're not very common anymore.
    Well, I mean the name Victoria is pretty antique as well...but somehow timeless...I don't know how it is about Arabic names...anyway, I like my one *smile*

Daydream said:

There are some names that never go out of style like Mohamed, Ahmed, Mahmoud.. there's almost one in every Arab family hehehe

Is your name Jihan or is it just a nickname here? Regardless it's a pretty name

16. Jihan said:

There are some names that never go out of style like Mohamed, Ahmed, Mahmoud.. there's almost one in every Arab family hehehe

Is your name Jihan or is it just a nickname here? Regardless it's a pretty name

yes, there is to distinguish between Arabic and Islamic names as well...I mean, not every Arabic name is Islamic as well...so if there's somebody looking for a Muslim name it has be taken care of this as well...anyhow

If you will call "Ahmad" in the souq...I think thousands willl return *laugh*...but there are many nice Arabic names, though

Best Rewards

LOUIE said:

well, I had a friend named AHMED AHMED MOUhammed. sure there are tons of beautiful arabic names. more than you can imagine

18. Monox D. I-Fly said:

Well, one of my coworker's (joined my workplace at the exact same day as me) name is Faizah. I myself was named Faizal. Also, one of my female friend uses Annaja as her last name on her FB account (granted, it was just meant as an abbreviation of her parents' names).