Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

solita from sola, so means alone (female)
    solo =alone (male)

disfrasando: can mean
    1 you are using costumes
    2. dissimulation, deface with words and expressions what it feels like
    so the correct translation depends of the whole sentece

juntito: together, next to you... very tight

quedense: from the verb quedarse
    1.stay
    2. left behind
    and also depends of the whole sentece

dimelo: from the verb decir=say
    1. tell me
    2. to say

ten (compasion): ten comes from the verb tener=have
    have compassion

empeze: comes from the verb empezar=start/begin

coloradita:
    that u have ur face red of shame or courage
    that burn your skin with sun

todito: all

hope help you
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

partsbabe said:

Smile I don't think anyone answered you...

Quote Originally Posted by Princesa_020 View Post
    How do you say, what goes around, comes back around in spanish?

al que al cielo escupe a la cara le cae ? Or the saying with the puerco? lol
    I would probably use one of these, depending on the situation:
    Se cosecha lo que se sembra = you reap what you sew
    Echando a perder, se aprende = by ruining things, you learn
    Toma tu tomate = take your tomato (take what's coming to you)

guess.who.bebek said:

Quote Originally Posted by Princesa_020 View Post
    How do you say, what goes around, comes back around in spanish?
    Its not supposed to be what goes around, comes around?! :-S
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpPe_xvihA

Tucumana88 said:

Creo que la traducción más cercana es la de SE COSECHA LO QUE SE SIEMBRA.
    Como son frases populares, es dificil traducirlas a un idioma.
  5. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tucumana88 View Post
    Creo que la traducción más cercana es la de SE COSECHA LO QUE SE SIEMBRA.
    Como son frases populares, es dificil traducirlas a un idioma.
    yea, idioms only make sense in the language they were made it

xiurell said:

another similar idiom "cría cuervos y te sacarán los ojos"

damarys said:

Pregunta:
    Do you say "el mar" or "la mar", as in "the ocean"? Muchisimas gracias.

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Pregunta:
    Do you say "el mar" or "la mar", as in "the ocean"? Muchisimas gracias.
    It's "el mar" but waaaaay back in the day, like back when it was just spoken in Spain, they would say "la mar."

You can maybe get away with it in poetry, but other than that, just stick with "el."

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    It's "el mar" but waaaaay back in the day, like back when it was just spoken in Spain, they would say "la mar."

You can maybe get away with it in poetry, but other than that, just stick with "el."
    Thank you, DeBaires! That explains why I've heard it both ways! I do read poetry.
    I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I'm in the process of translating a song that I hope to sing next week and I just kept going back and forth on it. I did settle on "el mar" but was very unsure.

xiurell said:

Thank you, DeBaires! That explains why I've heard it both ways! I do read poetry.
    I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I'm in the process of translating a song that I hope to sing next week and I just kept going back and forth on it. I did settle on "el mar" but was very unsure.
    In fact, fishermen, sailors use to say "la mar" in femenine much as English speaking sailors might refer to the sea as 'she'.

some exemples

hacerse a la mar (liter) to set sail;
    alta mar - open sea, on the high seas

damarys said:

Thank you so much! That makes sense.
  12. dmoney101 said:

Ok, so today, my bipolar spanish teacher got mad at our class (like always, and i still don't know why) and he assigned us a ton of work. He made everybody do a bunch of book work, except those that were unlucky enough for him to consider "hispanoblantes" who had to do a huge translation paper. For some reason, he decided to consider me un hispanoblante (i was the only white person lol). The translation page is so hard, none of the other actual native speakers could really figure it out, so i definitely had problems (since the Spanish i know is extremely slang, and i barely know anything proper lol). Can anybody help me out? I finished half the paper and have a few paragraphs to go
    Some of the words have side notes with definitions, so i'll include those in parentheses.

Cuando los famas (don't translate that word) salen de viaje, sus costumbres al pernoctar (pernoctar=pasar la noche en alguna parte; dormir) en una ciudad son las siguientes: Un fama va al hotel y averigua cautelosamente (cautelosamente=con gran cuidado) los precios, la calidad de las sábanas y el color de las alfombras. El segundo se traslada (se traslada=transporta, se dirige, se va, cambia de lugar) a la comisaría (comisaría=oficina de la policía) y labra un acta (labra un acta=escribe una lista oficial) declarando los muebles e inmuebles (muebles e inmuebles=todas las posesiones) de los tres, así como el inventario del contenido de sus valijas (valijas=maletas). El tercer fama va al hospital y copia las listas de los médicos de guardia y sus especialidades.

Terminadas estas diligencias (diligencias =tareas necasrias para realizar un proyecto), los viajeros se reúnen en la plaza mayor de la ciudad, se comunican sus observaciones, y entran en el café a beber un aperitivo. Pero antes se toman de las manos y danzan en ronda. Esta danza recibe el nombre de Alegría de los famas".

Cuando los cronopios (skip cronopios, it's a made up word) van de viaje, encuentran los hoteles llenos, los trenes ya se han marchado, llueve a gritos, y los taxis no quieren llevarlos o les cobran precious altisimos. Los cronopios no se desaniman porque creen firmemente que estas cosas les ocurren a todos, y a la hora de dormir se dicen unos a otros: "La hermosa ciudad, la hermosísima ciudad". Y sueñan toda la choe que en la ciudad hay grandes fiestas y que ellos están invitados. Al otro día se levantan conentísimos, y así es como viajan los cronopios.

Las esperanzas, sedentarias (sedentarias=inmóviles, se aplica a la person que no se mueve mucho, que se queda sentada), se dejan viajar por las cosas y los hombres, y son como las estatuas que hay que ir a ver porque ellas no se molestan.

OH MY GOD! What kind of crap is that for a person that's been speaking spanish for about a year??? There's 11 questions about the paper i've gotta translate, but i think i can do those by myself. This is horrible!

damarys said:

The guy sounds like a jerk! As an educator, I would generally consider this cheating, but this is not homework, in my book, so what the heck? The last paragraph doesn't make much sense, but I hope it's helpful anyway. Good luck!

Cuando los famas (don't translate that word) salen de viaje, sus costumbres al pernoctar (pernoctar=pasar la noche en alguna parte; dormir) en una ciudad son las siguientes: Un fama va al hotel y averigua cautelosamente (cautelosamente=con gran cuidado) los precios, la calidad de las sábanas y el color de las alfombras. El segundo se traslada (se traslada=transporta, se dirige, se va, cambia de lugar) a la comisaría (comisaría=oficina de la policía) y labra un acta (labra un acta=escribe una lista oficial) declarando los muebles e inmuebles (muebles e inmuebles=todas las posesiones) de los tres, así como el inventario del contenido de sus valijas (valijas=maletas). El tercer fama va al hospital y copia las listas de los médicos de guardia y sus especialidades.

When the famas go on a trip, their sleeping (nighttime) customs in a city are the following: One fama goes to a hotel and finds out with great care the prices, the quality of the sheets and the color of the carpets. The second one goes to a the police station where he writes an official list declaring the furniture and all the possesions of all three, as well as an inventory of the contents of their suitcases. The third fama goes to the hospital and copies a list of the doctors on call and their specialties.

Terminadas estas diligencias (diligencias =tareas necasrias para realizar un proyecto), los viajeros se reúnen en la plaza mayor de la ciudad, se comunican sus observaciones, y entran en el café a beber un aperitivo. Pero antes se toman de las manos y danzan en ronda. Esta danza recibe el nombre de Alegría de los famas".

After these chores are done, the travelers get together in the downtown area of the city, talk about their observations to each other, and walk into a coffee shop to get a drink. But before that they hold hands and dance in a circle. This dance is named the Joy of the Famas.

Cuando los cronopios (skip cronopios, it's a made up word) van de viaje, encuentran los hoteles llenos, los trenes ya se han marchado, llueve a gritos, y los taxis no quieren llevarlos o les cobran precious altisimos. Los cronopios no se desaniman porque creen firmemente que estas cosas les ocurren a todos, y a la hora de dormir se dicen unos a otros: "La hermosa ciudad, la hermosísima ciudad". Y sueñan toda la choe que en la ciudad hay grandes fiestas y que ellos están invitados. Al otro día se levantan conentísimos, y así es como viajan los cronopios.

When the cronopios go on a trip, they find the hotels are full, the trains have already left, it is raining hard (cats and dogs), and the taxis don't want to take them anywhere or they charge very high fares. The cronopios are not discouraged because they firmly believe that these things happen to all, and when it is time to sleep they tell each other: "The city is beautiful, the most beautiful city." And they dream all night that the there are big parties in the city and that they are invited. The next day the way up happily, and that is how the cronopios travel.

Las esperanzas, sedentarias (sedentarias=inmóviles, se aplica a la person que no se mueve mucho, que se queda sentada), se dejan viajar por las cosas y los hombres, y son como las estatuas que hay que ir a ver porque ellas no se molestan.

The hopes, sedentaries, allow themselves to be driven by things and men, and they are like statues that one must go to them to see them, because they are not to be bothered.
    Last edited by damarys; 09-09-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Misspellings!

partsbabe said:

When the famas go on a trip, their overnight customs in a city are the following:
    One fama goes to the hotel to investigate carefully the prices, the quality of the sheets and the color of the rugs/carpeting.
    The second fama goes to the police station and writes an official list declaring all of the possessions of the three, an inventory of the contents of their suitcases.
    The third fama goes to the hospital and copies the lists of the doctors of the guard(s) and their specialties
    Once finished with these assignments, the travelers meet up in the center square of the city, they discuss their observations, and they go into a caf&#233; to have an aperitif (pre-meal cocktail) .
    But first, they join hands and dance in a circle. This dance is called ‘the happiness of the famas’

When the cronopios go on a trip, they find the hotels full, the trains have already left, it rains cats & dogs, and the taxis don’t want to pick them up or they charge them extremely high prices.
    The cronopios do not become disheartened because they firmly believe that these things happen to everyone, and at bedtime they say to one another, “The beautiful city, the very beautiful city”.
    And they dream all night that in the city there are great parties and that they are invited. The next day they wake up very contented, and that is how the cronopios travel.
    The hopes, being sedentary, leave traveling up to the things and the men, and are like statues which one must go to see because they are not bothered.

I just translated what you wrote, but some of it doesn't make the best sense to me - even though it's clearly a non-sensicle story. Double check what the original assignment says and double check anything that looks off to you.
    I had an a-hole spanish teacher one year too, he considered only Castellano to be actual spanish - so those of us that spoke latin american spanish were lower class citizens to him, and were treated as such.
    Anyway, GOOD LUCK!
  15. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by partsbabe View Post
    When the famas go on a trip, their overnight customs in a city are the following:
    One fama goes to the hotel to investigate carefully the prices, the quality of the sheets and the color of the rugs/carpeting.
    The second fama goes to the police station and writes an official list declaring all of the possessions of the three, an inventory of the contents of their suitcases.
    The third fama goes to the hospital and copies the lists of the doctors of the guard(s) and their specialties
    Once finished with these assignments, the travelers meet up in the center square of the city, they discuss their observations, and they go into a café to have an aperitif (pre-meal cocktail) .
    But first, they join hands and dance in a circle. This dance is called ‘the happiness of the famas’

When the cronopios go on a trip, they find the hotels full, the trains have already left, it rains cats & dogs, and the taxis don’t want to pick them up or they charge them extremely high prices.
    The cronopios do not become disheartened because they firmly believe that these things happen to everyone, and at bedtime they say to one another, “The beautiful city, the very beautiful city”.
    And they dream all night that in the city there are great parties and that they are invited. The next day they wake up very contented, and that is how the cronopios travel.
    The hopes, being sedentary, leave traveling up to the things and the men, and are like statues which one must go to see because they are not bothered.

I just translated what you wrote, but some of it doesn't make the best sense to me - even though it's clearly a non-sensicle story. Double check what the original assignment says and double check anything that looks off to you.
    I had an a-hole spanish teacher one year too, he considered only Castellano to be actual spanish - so those of us that spoke latin american spanish were lower class citizens to him, and were treated as such.
    Anyway, GOOD LUCK!
    Thank you so much. i didn't understand anything since all my spanish is super-slang
  16. dmoney101 said:

The guy sounds like a jerk! As an educator, I would generally consider this cheating, but this is not homework, in my book, so what the heck? The last paragraph doesn't make much sense, but I hope it's helpful anyway. Good luck!

When the famas go on a trip, their sleeping (nighttime) customs in a city are the following: One fama goes to a hotel and finds out with great care the prices, the quality of the sheets and the color of the carpets. The second one goes to a the police station where he writes an official list declaring the furniture and all the possesions of all three, as well as an inventory of the contents of their suitcases. The third fama goes to the hospital and copies a list of the doctors on call and their specialties.

After these chores are done, the travelers get together in the downtown area of the city, talk about their observations to each other, and walk into a coffee shop to get a drink. But before that they hold hands and dance in a circle. This dance is named the Joy of the Famas.

When the cronopios go on a trip, they find the hotels are full, the trains have already left, it is raining hard (cats and dogs), and the taxis don't want to take them anywhere or they charge very high fares. The cronopios are not discouraged because they firmly believe that these things happen to all, and when it is time to sleep they tell each other: "The city is beautiful, the most beautiful city." And they dream all night that the there are big parties in the city and that they are invited. The next day the way up happily, and that is how the cronopios travel.

The hopes, sedentaries, allow themselves to be driven by things and men, and they are like statues that one must go to them to see them, because they are not to be bothered.
    Thanks too, and as an educator, would you assign something like this to someone who's only learned from 1 year of spanish in school, and slang from music? that doesn't even make any sense.

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    Thanks too, and as an educator, would you assign something like this to someone who's only learned from 1 year of spanish in school, and slang from music? that doesn't even make any sense.
    Absolutely not! If I were your parent, I would file a complaint with the principal! Hang in there!
  18. dmoney101 said:

Absolutely not! If I were your parent, I would file a complaint with the principal! Hang in there!
    yea, i think my mom's gonna call up there. she loves to raise a scene, but i don't.
    Last edited by dmoney101; 09-09-2008 at 08:06 PM.

damarys said:

Your mom sounds like someone I would like. She's going to look out for you. Control your urges and work hard in his class. The only way to fight someone like this, is by beating him at his own game.... ACE the class!!!!
    Unfortunately, he probably has tenure and there may be nothing the adminstration can do about it, other than putting him on an improvement plan. But then, if he knows he is being watched, he may just decide to actually teach!
  20. dmoney101 said:

Your mom sounds like someone I would like. She's going to look out for you. Control your urges and work hard in his class. The only way to fight someone like this, is by beating him at his own game.... ACE the class!!!!
    Unfortunately, he probably has tenure and there may be nothing the adminstration can do about it, other than putting him on an improvement plan. But then, if he knows he is being watched, he may just decide to actually teach!
    yea, i got a 99 in that class. i'd have over a 100, but i mess up and spell things the way i talk some times lol. The weird thing is he's really cool sometimes. it's like one day he's great, then the next day he's psychotic. for instance, yesterday we had a discussion about different ways to say maricon jaja. then me and him just had a conversation about spanish and stuff while we weren't doing anything in class. a lot of people think he's bipolar, and i agree