Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by rizzymunchy View Post
    Hi can anyone help me out with this file just a quick translation from spanish to english would be a great help , Hope to hear from you soon

http://www.zshare.net/audio/19200234b10d0eec/
    hey, I did it on private message
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!
  2. dmoney101 said:

if you're saying something is "by" someone (like a song or book), you use "por" right?

Tucumana88 said:

you mean like the writer of a book? In that case we say, for example, "Cien a&#241;os de Soledad", POR or DE Gabriel Garc&#237;a Marquez.
  4. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tucumana88 View Post
    you mean like the writer of a book? In that case we say, for example, "Cien años de Soledad", POR or DE Gabriel García Marquez.
    yea, that's what i meant. i always thought it would be de, but every time I found lyrics or whatever on the internet it would always say "por"
    grax

Zahra2008 said:

por or de, both are correct!!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!
  6. KRedding said:

Default I'm showing my age, I guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    wow, that was the most polite thank you post i've seen
    My Momma done taught me well!
    I think I'm alot older than most of the people here and I guess some things die hard. According to my Mother we should always politely thank those who help us! I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out internet/modern slang in English much less Spanish so I do genuinely appreciate coming to this forum. It's fun to participate in the threads although I haven't been able to help anyone yet. If I am being too "elderly" please let me know and I'll try to relax a bit
    Kathi

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by KRedding View Post
    I think I'm alot older than most of the people here and I guess some things die hard. According to my Mother we should always politely thank those who help us! I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out internet/modern slang in English much less Spanish so I do genuinely appreciate coming to this forum. It's fun to participate in the threads although I haven't been able to help anyone yet. If I am being too "elderly" please let me know and I'll try to relax a bit
    Kathi
    There is no such thing as age on the internet.... you can be as young (or as old) as you feel! I have an e-mail buddy of mine (my name sake) who is 99 years old; she will be turning 100 this year. I think having computer knowledge and being willing to learn has kept her young. When she writes to me or sends me a joke, she sounds like she is 21!

Are you SURE you are you are a lot older than most here? You just don't know! And most people won't really care! Welcome to the forum!!!
  8. dmoney101 said:

Kathi
    well i'm a teenager, so if you want some help with slang, i'm the person to hit up. i don't think i could have a proper conversation lol. actually, i've only used usted one time in my entire life when i was talking to my teacher, then i just used tu after that jaja
  9. KRedding said:

dmoney - I may have to take you up on that! I am going to be meeting some young musicians (20-ish) and all the Spanish I have been taught is the usted form. So feel free to update my lingo!
    Thanks!
    Kathi
  10. dmoney101 said:

dmoney - I may have to take you up on that! I am going to be meeting some young musicians (20-ish) and all the Spanish I have been taught is the usted form. So feel free to update my lingo!
    Thanks!
    Kathi
    usted? lol, wao. tu tienes que aprender la forma de tu. eso es muy importante. you'll sound like an old man if you don't jajaja

istanbulgal said:

wow, that was the most polite thank you post i've seen
    I agree, but i think for the sake of space, it is better to say your please & thank you's within the same post rather than send a separate post for "thank you" and another for "you're welcome". But yes, no doubt it feels very good when your translation/help & time is appreciated rather than taken for granted.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    I agree, but i think for the sake of space, it is better to say your please & thank you's within the same post rather than send a separate post for "thank you" and another for "you're welcome". But yes, no doubt it feels very good when your translation/help & time is appreciated rather than taken for granted.
    Okay, I wasn't sure what the correct procedure here is for "please" and "thank you.". As a translator, I do like to hear that people like the work that I have done for them but I also don't want to say, "here is my translation, and by the way, you are welcome!" It's kind of awkward. Don't you think?
  13. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Okay, I wasn't sure what the correct procedure here is for "please" and "thank you.". As a translator, I do like to hear that people like the work that I have done for them but I also don't want to say, "here is my translation, and by the way, you are welcome!" It's kind of awkward. Don't you think?
    yea, saying "you're welcome" before someone says thanks is a kind of jerk-ish thing to do

istanbulgal said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    ... but I also don't want to say, "here is my translation, and by the way, you are welcome!" It's kind of awkward. Don't you think?
    Of course saying "you're welcome" is not appropriate in absence of a "thank you" first, that goes without saying, however, some posters say "thank you in advance" in their initial post, and it is in this scenario that it is appropriate to say "you're welcome" or say nothing at all.

We're always reminded at work by our IT personnel to avoid two words type email so I always think of this, thus the reason i rarely respond to someone who thanks me in a second post (unless it is a longer response), and when I request a translation, I thank them in advance in my 1st post and don't consider this to be rude. What I consider rude is the absence of the word "please".
    Albert Einstein
  15. KRedding said:

Default JaJaJa

usted? lol, wao. tu tienes que aprender la forma de tu. eso es muy importante. you'll sound like an old man if you don't jajaja
    Would rather sound like an old woman if I have a choice I bought a book about speaking with friends, so I hope that will help!
  16. dmoney101 said:

Would rather sound like an old woman if I have a choice I bought a book about speaking with friends, so I hope that will help!
    lol, sorry. honestly, i can't give you much advice other than learning all the tú forms of words since that's just how i learned to talk naturally
  17. rizzymunchy said:

I have this phrase that is said to me quite often on the phone and im just a tiny bit confused of the meaning of it , because in someways the context fits buts others it doesnt , maybe because my spanish is not so good that I have made a mistake with the meaning behind this

the phrase is t&#250; nunca lo pasa nada

I have been thinking that this means , you never pass anything

but im assuming im wrong now as the context does not fit in with conversations

Although being a phonecall i could of miss heard what was said or how prounouced so i have upload a file with the phrase being said , so if anyone has the time to listen and explain if i have been hearing correct and the meaning would be great

here is the link
    no no.wav - 1.48MB

istanbulgal said:

Rizzymunchy: audio was not very clear, but i think it might mean that nothing new ever happens with you, ie: that you never have anything to say or something like that.
    Albert Einstein

damarys said:

"a ti nunca le pasa nada".... that's how I understood it. Like istanbulgal said, it means, "nothing ever happens to you".

This is probably in response to someone asking you, "what's up?" and you answer, "Nothing". Then the response is, "A ti nunca le pasa nada."

Tucumana88 said:

In fact, the correct way would be "A ti nunca TE pasa nada"