Voy a --> I am going to
    subir --> climb? or is subir por climb?
    la escalera --> the ladder?

Im not sure where the por comes in?

Vamos a ir en automo'vil
    Vamos a --> We are going
    en automo'vil --> in/by car?
    ir --> ?

Also, i've installed the spanish keyboard, but I cant find the accents the only letters i've found are ¡ and ñ, how do I do the accented a, e, i, o, u and upside down exclamation mark? Which keyboard do I need? I tried spain internation port and mexico but none of them are working

How do I say you are going to...?
    Esta's?

If sentarse is to sit
    What is sentarme? Im sitting?
    But isnt estoy sentado I am sitting?

sentar -> to sit
    sentado -> sitting
    sentarse? sentarme?

Thank you!!

VivaPalestina said:

Hola!! Can someone double check if I've spelt these right please? Gracias!!

To drink - beber
    To eat - comer
    To work - trabajar
    To sleep - durmer
    To play - jugar
    To read - leer
    To write - escriber
    To run - correr
    To walk - camiar
    To sit - sentar
    To stand - parado (?)
    To smile - sonrer
    To cry - llorar
    To buy - comprar
    To climb - subir (por)
    To drive - viajar
    To listen - escuchar

Zahra2008 said:

here you go ya habibty

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Hola!! Can someone double check if I've spelt these right please? Gracias!!

To drink - beber
    To eat - comer
    To work - trabajar
    To sleep - dormir
    To play - jugar
    To read - leer
    To write - escribir
    To run - correr
    To walk - caminar
    To sit - sentar
    To stand - pararse
    To smile - sonreir
    To cry - llorar
    To buy - comprar
    To climb - subir (por)
    To drive - viajar
    To listen - escuchar
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

VivaPalestina said:

Yislamo ya 3omri
  5. Erito said:

You should try with Ctrl + Alt, works for me in the accents for example Ctrl + Alt + A = á I have the US International keyboard also the key ' works to make the accent

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation!!!

hey handsome i hope your doing well so what's new? i hope we will chat soon
    Last edited by x0babiigirlx0; 06-20-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3
  7. Angelbuns said:

I must be a real old fart.... what's a hookie party?!

Quote Originally Posted by x0babiigirlx0 View Post
    Translation!!

would you like to come to a hookie party with me it's not going to be in a club this party is going to be at my friends house she has a really big house she told me to invite alot of people she wants alot of guys to come so everyone has a dancing partner and it will be fun because everyone can meet new people

AnnaFoster said:

Can someone double check these? ¡Muchas Gracias!

No esperes ser conocido.

Don't wait to be introduced. (to someone).

¿Conociste algunas muchachas?
    Did you meet any girls?
    *is there a difference between 'any girls' and 'some girls'?

Ella nació aquí, y él nació en México. Se conocieron en un baile. No hablaban (each other's) idioma pero se salían para 5 años y despues se casaban. Por supuesto ahora, despues de 25 años, ¡ella puede hablar español, y él puede hablar ingles!
    She was born here, and he was born in Mexico. They met at a dance. They didn't speak each other's language but they dated for 5 years and then got married. Of course now, 25 years later, she can speak Spanish, and he can speak English!

(I'm having issues choosing between preterit and imperfect...I don't know how "each other's" would translate and I'm not sure about "of course now").

Lastly:
    I know you use 'dejar de' to tell someone to stop doing something ie: "¡Deja de cantar!" Stop singing! But how do you just say "stop!" ?
  9. Erito said:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbuns View Post
    I must be a real old fart.... what's a hookie party?!
    I've seen that on some movies and as far as I know a hookie party is a party with you know prostitutes

citlalli said:

@AnnaFoster:

No esperes ser conocido.
    Don't wait to be introduced. (to someone).
    No esperes a que te presenten. If you say "ser conocido" you're telling the person not to expect to be famous /well known

¿Conociste algunas muchachas?
    Did you meet any girls?
    *is there a difference between 'any girls' and 'some girls'? No.

Ella nació aquí, y él nació en México. Se conocieron en un baile. No hablaban el mismo idioma/ un idioma en común/ ella no hablaba español y él no hablaba ingles pero estuvieron saliendo por 5 años y despues se casaron. Por supuesto que ahora, despues de 25 años, ¡ella sabe hablar español y él sabe hablar ingles!
    She was born here, and he was born in Mexico. They met at a dance. They didn't speak each other's language but they dated for 5 years and then got married. Of course now, 25 years later, she can speak Spanish, and he can speak English!

(I'm having issues choosing between preterit and imperfect...I don't know how "each other's" would translate and I'm not sure about "of course now"). Normally, "each other" can translate as "mutuo" or "reciproco", but not here; that's why I changed it a bit: "No hablaban el mismo idioma (they didn't speak the same language), "No hablaban/tenían un idioma en común" (they didn't speak/have a language in common, "Ella no hablaba español y él no hablaba ingles (She didn't speak Spanish and he didn't speak English".

Lastly:
    I know you use 'dejar de' to tell someone to stop doing something ie: "¡Deja de cantar!" Stop singing! But how do you just say "stop!" ¡Ya basta! / ¡Suficiente! / ¡Ya parale!/ ¡Ya callate!* *use this last one only when you want the person to stop speaking, arguing or making any sort of noise.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

Translation!!!

hey handsome i hope your doing well so what's new? i hope we will chat soon
    ¡Hola guapo! Espero que estés bien; ¿y qué noticias/novedades me tienes? Espero que podamos chatear pronto.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

@Viva:

Voy a subir por la escalera
    Voy a --> I am going to
    subir --> climb? or is subir por climb? Only "subir". ("I'm going to climb the tree"=Voy a subir al árbol. )
    la escalera --> the ladder? Yes, "escalera" can be "ladder", but also "staircase".

Im not sure where the por comes in?

Vamos a ir en automo'vil
    Vamos a --> We are going
    en automo'vil --> in/by car?by car.
    ir --> ? "to go".

Also, i've installed the spanish keyboard, but I cant find the accents the only letters i've found are ¡ and ñ, how do I do the accented a, e, i, o, u and upside down exclamation mark? Which keyboard do I need? I tried spain internation port and mexico but none of them are working

How do I say you are going to...?
    Esta's? No; "vas a":

I'm going to =Voy a
    You're going to =Vas a (informal 'you')
    You're going to =Va a (formal 'you')
    He/She's going to =Va a
    We're going to =Vamos a
    You're going to (plural)= Van a (Latin America)/ Vais a (Spain)
    They're going to= Van a

If sentarse is to sit
    What is sentarme? Im sitting? No, it's the infinitive: Voy a sentarme (I'm going to sit). Quiero sentarme (I want to sit).
    But isnt estoy sentado I am sitting? Yes, and in your case is "estoy sentada

sentar -> to sit
    sentado -> sitting
    sentarse? sentarme? "Sentarse" is the infinitive form for the third person (or the second person formal): La niña quiere sentarse (the girl wants to sit); el anciano va a sentarse en el balcón (The old man is going to sit on the balcony); ¿Quiere (usted) sentarse? (Would you like to sit?).

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation !

a duela a quien le duela ?

citlalli said:

Translation !

le duela a quien le duela ?
    ...no matter what...

or

...like it or not...

AnnaFoster said:

Ok.... I have a few un-fun questions....

No esperes a que te presenten. Is there an easy way to grasp why 'a que' is in this sentence?

Estuvieron saliendo = they were dating? If I wanted to say "they dated" would it just be .....salieron por 5 años.... ? And, is it preterit b/c it has a recognizable start and end?

Is it wrong to say "she can speak spanish / ella puede hablar español" ? Maybe that's something that doesn't directly translate.

Thanks!
  16. rizzymunchy said:

transaltion plz

me arecuerdo de toda esas fotos, si juma se be se muere

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by rizzymunchy View Post
    transaltion plz

me arecuerdo de toda esas fotos, si juma se be se muere
    I do remember all these photos, if Juma look her/himself dies

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation!!

it does not matter i like you for who you are and not what is on the outside but what is on the inside

Zahra2008 said:

Translation!!

it does not matter i like you for who you are and not what is on the outside but what is on the inside
    no importa, me gustas por ser quien eres y no por lo que está fuera sino lo que está dentro

AnnaFoster said:

Is this correct?

By wednesday, we're going to see who'll win the bet.
    Para el miercoles, vamos a ver quien ganará la apuesta.

There were lots of draws so we'll just have to judge* this particular bet by the points.
    Había/hubo? muchos partidos empatados asi que nomas tendremos que decidir esta apuesta particular por los puntos.

*In english, I'd say "judge/juzgar" but in spanish maybe "decide/decidir" is best?
    Last edited by AnnaFoster; 06-21-2010 at 09:25 PM.