Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Erito View Post
    the thing is I guess prender is more common in countries like Mexico but at least here we use encender but like I said both are correct and a spanish speaker will easily understand what are you trying to say.
    just like Erito said, 'prender' is more use here in Mexico
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

AnnaFoster said:

Are both these right?

Te hice tamales.

Hice tamales para ti.
  3. Erito said:

yes well If you wanna know the second is more polite than the first one, note I'm not saying that the first one is vulgar or something.

AnnaFoster said:

yes well If you wanna know the second is more polite than the first one, note I'm not saying that the first one is vulgar or something.
    Thank you, I'm always interested in knowing which is more polite as I chose my words in English very carefully. Erito, I appreciate it.

AnnaFoster said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    just like Erito said, 'prender' is more use here in Mexico

And that's just what I need to know.

AnnaFoster said:

How do I say please:

I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas

Queria desearte un "Feliz Navidad"
  7. Erito said:

yes basically it is like that but sometimes like this we don't use the past tense "Queria" plus we skip that part and just say "Feliz Navidad y prospero año nuevo" or just "Feliz Navidad" or "Te deseo una Feliz Navidad" "Le deseo una Feliz Navidad" with the "Usted" form.

well it depends on the person. you can use all of those sentences or just the one you have selected.

AnnaFoster said:

yes basically it is like that but sometimes like this we don't use the past tense "Queria" plus we skip that part and just say "Feliz Navidad y prospero año nuevo" or just "Feliz Navidad" or "Te deseo una Feliz Navidad" "Le deseo una Feliz Navidad" with the "Usted" form.

well it depends on the person. you can use all of those sentences or just the one you have selected.
    In this case, I am talking in past tense to someone I didn't get the opportunity to wish a merry christmas.
  9. Erito said:

ohh then your sentece is correct

AnnaFoster said:

Can someone help me with this one?

I don't know what I did for you to stop talking to me.

My try: No sé lo que hice ... .... dejar de hablarme. ? I'm stuck in the middle.

bedroomeyes said:

You could say: "No sé qué hice para que dejaras de hablar conmigo" or "No sé qué hice que ahora no quieras hablar conmigo."
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    -Albert Einstein

AnnaFoster said:

How do I say "Does your house have heat? Or will your room be freezing cold? I don't like to be cold indoors. You'll have your work cut out for you keeping me warm."

*"work cut out for you" is an expression in English, it means that your task will be a challenge but it's clear and ready to be done. I don't know if there's a similar phrase in Spanish. (preferably Mexican).

Thank you

AnnaFoster said:

Is: Crees que aguantes? like saying "can you deal with it / can you handle it" ? Lit: can you bear/stand (it)?

Is it aguantes in this sentence or aguantas?

If it's aguantes then that's subj. Is it subj. because 'crees que' precedes it?

¡Gracias y Feliz Año Nuevo! "Cheers!"

AnnaFoster said:

Hello, how would this translate?

Estoy deseoso porque me des un beso.

Thanks!
  15. Erito said:

I'm wishing a kiss from you.
  16. Erito said:

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaFoster View Post
    How do I say "Does your house have heat? Or will your room be freezing cold? I don't like to be cold indoors. You'll have your work cut out for you keeping me warm."

*"work cut out for you" is an expression in English, it means that your task will be a challenge but it's clear and ready to be done. I don't know if there's a similar phrase in Spanish. (preferably Mexican).

Thank you
    ¿Tu casa tiene calefacción? | Does your house have heat?
    ¿tu cuarto es muy frío? | will your room be freezing cold?
    No me gustan los lugares fríos | I don't like to be cold indoors. (lugar means place but in this case you both already know that you are talking about a room)
    for the You'll have your work cut out for you keeping me warm." actually there are a lot of phrases in spanish similar to this but they change country to country so I cannot really tell you an exact definition to this one.

AnnaFoster said:

I'm wishing a kiss from you.

But then wouldn't that be "estoy deseando......" ?

I know I'm wishing a kiss from you is basically the same meaning as what this says but I think this is written differently and I'd like to know. Deseoso is an adjective right?

I'm eager because you/you'll give me a kiss. ?

it's really the porque that's throwing me off with me des in present tense.

AnnaFoster said:

¿Tu casa tiene calefacción? | Does your house have heat?
    ¿tu cuarto es muy frío? | will your room be freezing cold?
    No me gustan los lugares fríos | I don't like to be cold indoors. (lugar means place but in this case you both already know that you are talking about a room)
    for the You'll have your work cut out for you keeping me warm." actually there are a lot of phrases in spanish similar to this but they change country to country so I cannot really tell you an exact definition to this one.
    I know just enough Spanish that this isn't quite what I'm trying to say. But thank you, Erito for your time!

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaFoster View Post
    But then wouldn't that be "estoy deseando......" ?

I know I'm wishing a kiss from you is basically the same meaning as what this says but I think this is written differently and I'd like to know. Deseoso is an adjective right?

I'm eager because you/you'll give me a kiss. ?

it's really the porque that's throwing me off with me des in present tense.
    Estoy deseoso por que me des un beso (des is in subjuctive present)

que me des un beso (is a subordinate clause) can be substituted for a substantive

ex. Estoy deseoso por esto

Others alternatives to the sentence:

Estoy deseando que me des un beso
    Estoy impaciente que me des un beso

AnnaFoster said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Estoy deseoso por que me des un beso (des is in subjuctive present)

que me des un beso (is a subordinate clause) can be substituted for a substantive

ex. Estoy deseoso por esto

Others alternatives to the sentence:

Estoy deseando que me des un beso
    Estoy impaciente que me des un beso

Ahhh ha ha! 2 words, por que. Thank you!!