song of solomon

Thread: song of solomon

Tags: None
  1. franny6 said:

Default song of solomon

Help can somebody translate into hebrew that I can read,the following text. This would help me greatly.
    Shalom
    Reading: From the Song of Solomon

Chapter 2: 10-13,

My beloved speaks and says to me:
    Arise my love, my fair one,
    and come away;
    for the winter is past,
    the rain is over and gone.
    The flowers appear on the earth;
    the time of singing has come,
    and the voice of the turtledove
    is heard in our land.

The fig tree puts forth its figs,
    and the vines are in blossom;
    they give forth fragrance.
    Arise my love, my fair one,
    and come away.

2. atthis said:

This is simply the original, not a translation:

עָנָה דוֹדִי וְאָמַר לִי; קוּמִי לָךְ רַעְיָתִי יָפָתִי וּלְכִי־לָךְ׃ כִּי־הִנֵּה הַסְּתָיו עָבָר; הַגֶּשֶׁם חָלַף הָלַךְ לוֹ׃ הַנִּצָּנִים נִרְאוּ בָאָרֶץ, עֵת הַזָּמִיר הִגִּיעַ; וְקוֹל הַתּוֹר נִשְׁמַע בְּאַרְצֵנוּ׃ הַתְּאֵנָה חָנְטָה פַגֶּיהָ, וְהַגְּפָנִים סְמָדַר נָתְנוּ רֵיחַ; קוּמִי לְכִי רַעְיָתִי יָפָתִי וּלְכִי־לָךְ׃

3. franny6 said:

Default Song of Solomon

Thanks for this, but how do I read Hebrew phonically? (I don'r read Hebrew and I have been asked to do a reading at a weddinng and because I am jewish the groom thought I would be able to read it in Hebrew. Help!!!!!

4. atthis said:

In my own modern Israeli pronunciation (with no following of cantillation, Biblical phonological accuracy, or the like):

aNA doDI veaMAR li, KUmi laħ raayaTI yafaTI uleĦI laħ. ki hiNE hasTAV aVAR, haGEshem ħaLAF haLAĦ lo. hanitzaNIM nir'U baAretz, et hazaMIR hiGIa, veKOL haTOR nishMA bearTZEnu. hateeNA ħanTA faGEha, vehagfaNIM smaDAR natNU REaħ, KUmi leĦI raayaTI yafaTI ulĦI laħ.

Transcription key:
    Stressed syllables are in all caps, except for monosyllabic words.
    The vowel "a" is pronounced as in "far",
    "e" as in bed,
    "i" as "ee" in "see",
    "o" as in Spanish "no",
    "u" as "oo" in "boom".
    Consecutive vowels are pronounced seperately ("ee" is pronounced "e-e" and not "i", etc.)
    The consonant "sh" is pronounced as in English,
    "tz" as "zz" in "pizza",
    Ħ/ħ as "ch" in Scottish "loch".
    The apostrophe in "nir'U" marks a syllable break/glottal stop/pause. The word is pronounced differently then "niRU" would be.

5. franny6 said:

Thanks so much, I do hope I do it justice. I would love to be able to read hebrew.
    Shalom
    Franny

6. Lalibel said:

Smile

Hi atthis,

I found this forum because I am trying to learn more about this psalm - I became completely obsessed by this song I will put here for you to listen to it. (Can it be coincidence??)

I unfortunately don't read nore do I speak ivrit/hebrew, but I can not stop myself from listening to a song I completely fell in love with:
    Here is the Youtube link: (please, copy+paste ine the adress bar) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_qgmiJ1Co

So my question is : This song I send you here, is it the psalm, the "Song of Solomon / Chapter 2: 10-13"?

I only can read translitterations, and the translitteration you gave in the text above seems to correspond to the words I can hear when I try to listen to it very precisely. So, is it???

I try to get out what the song is handling about, and what the single words of the song do mean?

What I think that I have found out is, that the words the girl is singing would then be these "ki hiNE hasTAV aVAR, haGEshem ħaLAF haLAĦ lo. hanitzaNIM nir'U baAretz"?

An I cannot make out in translitterated text passages, where a sentences does begin,, and where a sentence is over.

Nore can I make out which hebrew words correspond to an exact word in the translation.

So my other wuestion would be, does "ki hiNE hasTAV aVAR, haGEshem ħaLAF haLAĦ lo. hanitzaNIM nir'U baAretz" mean "for the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, ".
    Or is it less?

It maybe would make it easier also if I put my question this way:

What are the translitterated words in the link of the song I show above?

And what is the meaning of it?

Cheers,
    Eléonore

7. PIMOS said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lalibel View Post
    Hi atthis,

I found this forum because I am trying to learn more about this psalm - I became completely obsessed by this song I will put here for you to listen to it.
    Can it be coincidence??

I unfortunately don't read nore do I speak ivrit/hebrew, but I can not stop myself from listening to a song I completely felll in love with:
    Here is the Youtube link: (please, copy+paste ine the adress bar) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_qgmiJ1Co

So my question is : This song I send you here, is it the psalm, the "Song of Solomon / Chapter 2: 10-13".

I only can read translitterations, and the translitteration you gave in the text above seems to correspond to the words I can here when I try to listen to it very precisely. So, is it???

I try to get out what the song is handling about, and what the single words of the song do mean?

What I think that I have found out is, that the words the girl is singing would then be these "ki hiNE hasTAV aVAR, haGEshem ħaLAF haLAĦ lo. hanitzaNIM nir'U baAretz"?

An I cannot make out in translitterated text passages, where a sentences does begin,, and where a sentence is over. Nore can I make out which hebrew words correspond to an exact word in the translation. So my other wuestion would be, does "ki hiNE hasTAV aVAR, haGEshem ħaLAF haLAĦ lo. hanitzaNIM nir'U baAretz" mean "for the winter is past, "the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, ".
    Or is it less?

It maybe would make it easier also if I put my question this was:
    What are the translitterated words in the link of the song I show above?
    And what is the meaning of it?

Cheers,
    Eléonore
    u need trans of all song?

8. Lalibel said:

Hi,

Not exactely, I think several words are repeated, aren't they?

Cheers,
    Eléonroe

9. atthis said:

The lyrics of this song indeed consist parts of Song of Solomon 2:10-13.
    Linear transcript/translation:

ki hiNE hasTAV aVAR
    For the winter is past,
    haGEshem ħaLAF haLAĦ lo
    the rain is over and gone.
    hanitzaNIM nir'U baAretz
    The flowers appear on the earth;
    et hazaMIR hiGIa
    the time of singing has come.

ki hiNE hasTAV aVAR
    For the winter is past,
    haGEshem ħaLAF haLAĦ lo