Learning Italian Language

Thread: Learning Italian Language

Tags: None
  1. trinacria said:

Red face

Esra_ , may you translate this sentence ''Σε θέλω και δε σ’έχω κι αυτό δεν το αντέχω..'', please?

I'm studying Ancient Greek at school, and i really love it - even if I can't understand the language they (you?) speak in Greece today ...

2. trinacria said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_A View Post
    Ciao a tutti,

Può qualcuno cortesemente spiegarmi perché si dice, ad esempio, "corsi cui si è iscritti" e non "corsi a cui si è iscritti"? Quando si mette la preposizione davanti e quando no?

Grazie in anticipo.
    Luckaed ha risposto correttamente, ma soltanto in parte: leggi qui per soddisfare ogni curiosità ^^

Maviii said:

Mi parli della sua famiglia - tell me about your family
    Mi parli un po'di lei - tell me a bit about yourself
    Parlami del tuo nuovo ragazzo - tell me about your new boyfriend

Dimmi in che consiste il tuo lavoro. - tell me what your job involves

Ma basta parlare di me. Dimmi di te, adesso - enough about me, tell me about you now

can someone tell me what is the difference between Parlami and dimmi when they both mean ''tell me'' in the sentences ?
    am a bit confused about them/ dunno when we use this or that...thanks in advance

partizanka said:

Quote Originally Posted by Maviii View Post
    Mi parli della sua famiglia - tell me about your family
    Mi parli un po'di lei - tell me a bit about yourself
    Parlami del tuo nuovo ragazzo - tell me about your new boyfriend

Dimmi in che consiste il tuo lavoro. - tell me what your job involves

Ma basta parlare di me. Dimmi di te, adesso - enough about me, tell me about you now

can someone tell me what is the difference between Parlami and dimmi when they both mean ''tell me'' in the sentences ?
    am a bit confused about them/ dunno when we use this or that...thanks in advance
    I like this question cos I've wondered the same (and with such words in Turkish!). Someone told me that "parlare" is something like "talk to me about" in this case, but I don't think it's always so clear-cut, as in the sentences you gave as examples. I think sometimes you can use either one, just like in English, you can say "tell me about...." or "talk to me about..." and they could both be fine to say. Probably in certain phrases, one way (parlami/dimmi) sounds more natural to Italians, but maybe the other way could still be fine.

Okay, I'll shut up now and wait for an Italian native to answer.

Ligeia said:

Partizanka is right, it depends on the sentence.
    The only difference I can think about is that "dimmi" only means "tell me", while "parlami di" means "tell me about" but without any preposition simply means "talk to me".

"Mi dica (qualcosa) della sua famiglia /Mi dica (qualcosa) di lei" ----> the meaning is the same but they sound "unnatural". In formal phrases "mi racconti / mi parli" are better.
    "Dimmi del tuo nuovo ragazzo / Parlami del tuo lavoro / Parlami di te adesso" are good anyway.
    Last edited by Ligeia; 08-10-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    "-Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity..."
    "-Actually, I'm planning to threaten you."

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know!"

cmyers said:

How do you say:

He is your brother?
    He is my brother.
    She is your sister?
    She is my sister.

partizanka said:

He is your brother? - Lui è tuo fratello?
    He is my brother. - Lui è mio fratello.
    She is your sister? - Lei è tua sorella?
    She is my sister. - Lei è mia sorella.

Again, this is informal form. If you want more formal, replace 'tua/tuo' with 'Suo/Sua'
    (In my opinion, if the 'he/she' is known, it's not necessary to say 'lui/lei.' Maybe Ligeia can tell me if I'm wrong.)

Ligeia said:

Partizanka, you got that right, as usual!
    If, for example, the person is the topic of the conversation or is nearby "lui/lei" is not necessary: though not grammatically incorret, it sounds a bit "unnatural".

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know!"

cmyers said:

I know when referring to men vs. women the reference is different. Could you explain how to say:

Your cousin knows you well.
    (A girl referring to her female friends boy cousin vs. A girl referring to her female friends girl cousin....is there a difference in writing this?)

Ligeia said:

Tuo cugino (male)/tua cugina (female) ti conosce bene.

VivaPalestina said:

Does anyone know where I can watch online series of Friends in Italian?

Thank you