Learning Italian Language

Thread: Learning Italian Language

Tags: None
  1. jivago said:

Tutto il piacere è stato per me. Ti auguro il migliore successo al tuo esame.

Jess31 said:

Non voglio risultare pignola...ma vorrei fare delle precisazioni poichè ci sono dei piccoli errori...

Fra due mesi bisogna che io (scegliere) scelga il minore.
    Non occuparti di troppe cose se (volere) vuoi impararne una bene.
    Ti farei un regalo se tu lo (meritare) meritassi.
    Non sono sicuro se lui (tornare fut.) sarebbe tornato cosi presto. Questa frase è grammaticalmente scorretta..se la si vuole volgere al futro sarebbe meglio dire "non sono sicuro che lui tornerà così presto"
    Francesco andrebbe subito a Milano se (ricevere) ricevesse l'ordine di partire.
    Non sa nulla perche' non ha mai (volere) voluto studiare.
    Desidero sapere quale mezzo di trasporto (essere) sia il piu' rapido: l'automobile o il treno?
    Tu vuoi che io ti (scrivere) scriva subito: non posso farlo.
    Il padre mi telefona che (venire) io venga oggi a prenderlo all'ufficio. In italiano non si dice "lui mi telefona che..." ma "lui mi telefona e mi chiede di..."
    Noi non ce ne andremo prima che lui (arrivare) sia arrivato.
    Vorrei che tu (venire) venissi con me. si può dire anche "vorrei che tu venga con me"
    Vorrei che lui (partire) (sia partito) fosse partito ieri piutosto che oggi.
    Se (essere) fossi in te, non ci andrei.

Il babbo mi aveva pregato di andare a prenderlo all'ufficio.
    Non ti vidi al teatro, speravo invece che tu (venire) venissi.
    Non ho mai sperato troppo che lui (obbedire) obbedisse.
    Mi ripose come se non (capire) avesse capito le mie parole.
    Rispondimi come se tu (parlare) parlassi a un amico.
    Non lo hai ancora fatto con tutto che io ti (aver) ho pregato tante volte. la frase non è corretta..."non lo hai ancora fatto dopo tutte le volte che ti ho pregato"
    Era ora che tu (fare) facessi i tuoi compiti di scuola.
    La fortuna volle che io (incontrare) incontrassi proprio la persona che (cercare) cercavo

3. jivago said:

@Jess31 : Pignola non lo sei in nessun' modo. Al contrario, quanto a me, ti ringrazio ! Penso che "Dangerous & Moving" a ricevuto il testo dal professore suo. Il che mi faceva finalmente dubitare di me stesso, io che, cui in Belgio, parlo poco spesso l'italiano da parecchi anni.

L'esame l'aveva oggi e spero che tutto sia andato bene per lei. In ogni modo le tue correzioni sono utile à tutti.

A più
    Last edited by jivago; 07-01-2009 at 01:51 PM.

4. Roberto_d said:

This poem is the result of an elementary Italian course. Are you see any problem in this:

Non posso parlarer quando guardo i tuoi occhi,
    Che cosa devo fare quando parto oggi!

Ahimè, ma c'è una risposta brutale:
    Dimenticare, dimenticare, dimenticare!

Thank you

ludosti said:

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto_d View Post
    This poem is the result of an elementary Italian course. Are you see any problem in this:

Non posso parlarer quando guardo i tuoi occhi,
    Che cosa devo fare quando parto oggi!

Ahimè, ma c'è una risposta brutale:
    Dimenticare, dimenticare, dimenticare!

Thank you
    Non posso parlare quando guardo i tuoi occhi
    Sinceramente non ho capito il secondo rigo. cosa vorresti dire? le parole sono scritte correttamente e formano una frase di senso compiuto, ma nel contesto della poesia cosa dovrebbero significare?

6. gustar said:

hello everyone,i have a question

the lyrics of "o mare e tu" have some sentences:

Amore mio
    Si nun ce stess'o mare e tu
    Nun ce stesse manch'io
    Amore mio
    L'amore esiste quanno nuje
    Stamme vicino a Dio
    Amore

the singer is Andrea bocelli
    i don't no the meaning of the word " manch'io" "quanno" and "nuje"
    and i can't find them in a italian dictionary , are they Neapolitan dialect?
    who can tell me the meaning of them,and help me translate these sentences?

thank you

7. minollo said:

I'll try to do it for you my friend...

"If there was not the sea and you
    Neither I would have been,
    My love,
    Love exists when we are near God,
    my love"

This is Neapolitan dialect and in the specific case these are the Italian and English translations of the word you were looking for:

"Manch'io" in Italian is "Neanche io" so is "Neither I" in English
    "Quanno" in Italian is "Quando" that stands for "When" in English
    "Nuje" in Italian is the pronoum "Noi" that is "We" or in other cases "Us" in English

Un saluto per tutti gli altri e buon fine settimana...

8. gustar said:

Grazie mille per tuo aiuto

and these words "Stamme"and "stesse " ,"stess" in Italian all are "stare" ,is it right?

9. minollo said:

Yes my friend, that's right... In this case is the following:

"stamme" stays for the Italian "stiamo" (first plural person at the present tense of the verb "stare")
    "stess" stays for the Italian "stesse" (here you can see the third singular person in subjunctive mode and in the imperfect tense, the verb is also "stare")

But you can also consider "stesse" in this case as a synonim of "fosse" (third singular person in subjunctive mode and in the imperfect mode of the verb "essere" = "to be")

73's !!!

Majid said:

Smile Thank you for your time; could you also answer this ... ?

Hi and thanks to all members dedicating time to help us learn Italian .

Learning Italian is one of the reasons I joined this forum, a more detailed explanation could be found in my first post here.

Specifically, I am looking for links to Italian
    • podcasts,
    • radio drama, talk shows, comedies, documentaries,
    • and audio books.

I have successfully learned English by just jumping in to content produced for native speakers. This approach requires that you have strong motivation and you should be patient as it takes time to see any results, but in the end the outcome is very good.

11. felice said:

Default it

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_A View Post
    First of all, try and read the posts before you.
    Secondly, the vowel after the consonant is not important and it doesn't make any rule.
    In the third place, there is no need to get nervous, we are all here for the people wanting to learn Italian, we do them no favor if we argue over things that were already said.
    USE DEFINITE ARTICLE LO BEFORE MASCULINE NOUNS BEGINNING WITH S PLUS CONSONANT, OR WITH Z.
    lo studente
    lo stile
    il salame
    il salto
    lo zoo
    lo zero

12. Lady_A said:

I don't see how your post relates to mine, but anyway thanks for repeating the rule.

Lullaby said:

hi, i have a question.''non conosco and non lo so'' are they same word or not?can someone explain to me?

Ligeia said:

"Non lo so" it is usually used to say that you don't know something.
    ex. "do you know where I can find it?" -"I don't know" (means that "I have no idea")
    trad: "Sai dove posso trovarlo?" "Non lo so"

"Non conosco" can also be used to say that you don't know something, but it's more rare
    ex. "I don't know the password" "Non conosco/non so la password"

Usually the verb "conoscere" is used to say that you know/ recognize (or not) people or places.
    -ex. "I don't know her" (means that "I have no idea who she is, or I have never met her")
    trad. "Non la conosco"
    -ex. "I know this place" (can mean that you know well this place or that you recognize this place, depending on the context)
    trad. "conosco questo posto"

I'm not very good in explaining grammar rules, I hope what I've written could help you and not confuse you...
    "-Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity..."
    "-Actually, I'm planning to threaten you."

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know!"

Lullaby said:

thank you Ligeia. i get it.thanks for examples.it is understandable

evdokiaburcu said:

what does "Di dove sei " means?

Maviii said:

Quote Originally Posted by evdokiaburcu View Post
    what does "Di dove sei " means?
    it means ( where are you from ? )

Angeliki said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
    "Non lo so" it is usually used to say that you don't know something.
    ex. "do you know where I can find it?" -"I don't know" (means that "I have no idea")
    trad: "Sai dove posso trovarlo?" "Non lo so"

"Non conosco" can also be used to say that you don't know something, but it's more rare
    ex. "I don't know the password" "Non conosco/non so la password"

Usually the verb "conoscere" is used to say that you know/ recognize (or not) people or places.
    -ex. "I don't know her" (means that "I have no idea who she is, or I have never met her")
    trad. "Non la conosco"
    -ex. "I know this place" (can mean that you know well this place or that you recognize this place, depending on the context)
    trad. "conosco questo posto"

I'm not very good in explaining grammar rules, I hope what I've written could help you and not confuse you...

So "non" by itself makes a statement negative? You could add "non" to any verb? Can someone provide other instances in which non is used? Sorry, I'm just starting to read through this because I want to learn this language
    It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; thru sickness we recognize the value of health; thru evil, the value of good; thru hunger, the value of food; thru exertion, the value of rest.

Ligeia said:

Quote Originally Posted by Angeliki View Post
    So "non" by itself makes a statement negative? You could add "non" to any verb? Can someone provide other instances in which non is used? Sorry, I'm just starting to read through this because I want to learn this language
    When you add "non" to a verb usually the phrase is negative: it denies or exclude something; it's the italian equivalent of "not or "don't"":
    "Non pensarci" (forget it, don't think about it)
    "non sono soddisfatto del risultato" (I am not satisfied with the result")
    "Lei non verrà al cinema con noi" (she won't come to the cinema with us)
    "Puoi invitare chi vuoi, ma ti prego non lui! ( You can invite whomever you want, but please not him)
    "Non avresti dovuto comportarti così male" (You shouldn't have behaved so badly")
    "Non potrei mai fare una cosa così stupida!"" (I'd never do such a stupid thing)
    "non posso crederci!" /or "Non ci posso credere!" (i can't believe it!)

A name or an adjective become their contrary, even though for the adjectives there is often another form:
    Fumatori/ non fumatori (smokers/ non-smokers)
    Risolto/ non risolto (o irrisolto) (resolved/unresolved)
    Possibile/ non possibile (o impossibile) (possible/ impossible)

It is used in rhetorical questions, or questions from which we excpect an affirmative answer:
    "Non dovevi chiamarmi?" (weren't you supposed to call me?)
    "Non dovresti essere a lavoro?" (aren't you supposed to be at work?)
    "Fa molto freddo oggi, non credi?" (it's very cold today, don't you think?)
    "Bel modo di risolvere il problema, non è vero?" (or just "vero?") (A good way to solve the problem, isn't it?)

The phrase "Non c'è di che" is a polite way to thank someone.
    "Grazie dell'aiuto" "non c'è di che" (thanks for your help" "don't mention it, you're welcome")
    "-Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity..."
    "-Actually, I'm planning to threaten you."

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know!"

Angeliki said:

Thank you Legeia. Are you a native Italian speaker?

Also, I do have another question. I'm trying to learn conjugation of verbs so I can formulate sentences. As I was going through several verbs on my sheet, I noticed that there are a couple of verbs that mean the same thing. Obvioulsy, there are appropriate situations in which the verbs are used. I only found found a couple on my sheet (I know I have more), but I'll list the verbs I see and please tell me when to use the words in a sentence. Also, if I have the meaning wrong, please correct me. Thank you so much in advance

Bisognare and Avere=> To have
    Cuocere and Cucinare => To cook
    Iniziare and Cominciare => To begin/start
    It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; thru sickness we recognize the value of health; thru evil, the value of good; thru hunger, the value of food; thru exertion, the value of rest.