RE: uploading MIDI (.mid) files in message posts

Thread: RE: uploading MIDI (.mid) files in message posts

Tags: None
  1. BILL G said:

Default RE: uploading MIDI (.mid) files in message posts

Hi All

I'm new to this forum. I'm not sure if a message like this has already been posted in this forum.

Anyway, i have a question about uploading MIDI files in message posts, as follows.

I can both read and write music; i can create/sequence MIDI files (eg song.mid). I've made some MIDI files of some songs i'm trying to identify. For example, the MIDI file might contain my interpretation of the melody for the part of the song i actually know.

I'd like to upload these MIDI files in each message post i make in this forum (ie so other people can download and listen to them, and hence help me try to identify each song). According to the FAQ on this website, it is PHYSICALLY possible for me to upload these MIDI files in this forum (eg by typing in a post, then selecting 'attach').

My question is: Is it LEGALLY possible for me to upload these MIDI files in message posts? The reason i ask is that there are a lot of MIDI files on the Internet; some of them are considered to be illegal (eg for copyright reasons).

BILL G.

PS: For similar reasons, is it also LEGALLY possible to upload mp3 files in message posts?

F A B Scott said:

The easiest and probably the best way is to upload them to an external site and leave the link in your thread/post.
    I personally use NowUpload and Zshare.

If the MP3 is not the complete song and/or is used simply for identification purposes [and for a short term period] you would have no legal worries.

3. BILL G said:

Dear F A B Scott,

Thanks for that advice.

Do you know if it is legal for me to upload my midi files to either NowUpload (http://nowupload.com/) or Zshare (http://www.zshare.net/)?
    The reason i ask is that twice now i have contacted Zshare to ask them that question, but i've not received a response from them.

Cheers
    BILL G

F A B Scott said:

If you made them yourself they are completely legal to upload [as are mp3s for ID purposes]

NowUpload seems to be having problems right now.