Translate and adapting a song

Thread: Translate and adapting a song

Tags: None
  1. Nektor said:

Default Translate and adapting a song

Hi!

I've been reading most of the posts and it may be good to clear some stuff. I'm mexican (so..my native language is the spanish) but i've been trained a little in the englih language as well.

Some times, i look for translations suitable to the spanish pronunciation and it's hard to find a well adapted song. Most of the times, (and it's a good work too!) the songs are just translated..but doesn't really sound good. I mean, the mere translation in spanish could never sound as good as the original.

En english u can say a lot of things with few words, or expressions. In spanish, the thing is quite different.

So, i'd just like to share with you some tips i've been using when i just can't find a good translated - adapted song....and what not to do..

1. It's essential to count the number of sylabes (or whatever it should be written :-p) in every line of the verse and chorus. The translation should have the same number. Although it may be possible...MAY be, that some lines could have 1 or 2 more. But, i think it's always possible to find a word which fit with the number of sylabes. Either way, the song will sound strange for those who have heard the original in english...and even if you've never listened to the original, it could sound kinda of weird.

2. It could sound dumb...but the lines should rhyme....really...they should. Of course, there are cases in original spanish songs where the rhyme is a little bit forced, but..it's not often.

3. Even when a word in spanish fits in the sylabe stuff with the original in english, not always sounds good. For example, the Name of Jesus is a two sylabe word, in english just as it is in spanish. BUT the strong sylabe in english is in the -Je- part...while in spanish, it is in the -sus- part. So, it could change the whole good "sounding" of the whole line if it is used incorrect.

Some may say...come on...it's not that bad.....but for those who speak english, try to sing the name of Jesus, making emphasize in the -sus- part, like we do it in spanish.. <:-/

4. The line, the verse and the chorus can actually change all of the words, and still preserve what the author wanted to express. Or, the spirit of the song. It's better to change words, even when the translation is not 100% accurate, than trying to fit what can't fit.

When translating - adapting a song, these tips are useful and give a good guarantee that the song will sound just as good as the original!

Blessings!
  2. Rico211075 said:

If you want translations of Hillsong stuff go to the translations page of the Australian music site (when it's back online) and download their version. Last time I download some Russian and Ukrainian translations it cost me nothing, but you will still need to pay the appopriate royalties for making extra copies if you need to make multiples for your congregation or chior.

http://hillsongmusic.com click on the translation link.
    Last edited by Rico211075; 02-19-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: spelling errors