turkish-english: istasyon insanlari (is it Teoman?)

Thread: turkish-english: istasyon insanlari (is it Teoman?)

Tags: None

vuoklis said:

Default turkish-english: istasyon insanlari (is it Teoman?)

hi. i tried to translate this song myself but it was wayyy to hard for me. I got a very funny text, so...

Ruhidir benim adım
    Hiç çıkamam evimden
    Dostlar uydururum hayali
    Mutluyumdur bu yüzden
    Bir çiçek dürbününden
    Insanlara bakarken
    Bir gün bir istasyon gördüm
    Trenleri geciken
    Yolcular ellerinde
    Tek gidişlik bir bilet
    Henüz bilmeseler de
    Hayat bundan ibaret
    Istasyon insanları burdalar tesadüfen
    Aynı rüyayıı görüp ayrı yerlere giden
    Eskiden, çok eskiden
    Ben daha çok küçükken
    Henüz cennet plajı
    Otopark olmamışken
    Mercanların arasında
    Küçük balıklar vardı
    En güzelleri el boyunda
    Kavuniçi olanlardı
    Bir gün bir rüya gördüm
    O kavuniçi balık benmişim
    Büyümem beklenmeden
    Afiyetle yenmişim
    Istasyon insanları burdalar tesadüfen
    Aynı rüyayı görüp ayrı yerlere giden
    Ruhidir benim adım
    Bir sırrım var saklarım

i really appreciate your help

2. PlainChaos said:

Teoman - People of the Railway Station

Spiritual is my name (Ruhidir benim adım)
    I never go outside my house (Hiç çıkamam evimden)
    I make up imaginary friends (Dostlar uydururum hayali)
    That's why I'm usually happy (Mutluyumdur bu yüzden)
    As I looked at people through binoculars of flowers (Bir çiçek dürbününden insanlara bakarken)
    One day I saw a railway station (Bir gün bir istasyon gördüm)
    Which trains were late (Trenleri geciken)
    The passengers (Yolcular)
    With one-way tickets in their hands (Ellerinde tek gidişlik bir bilet)
    Even if they don't know it yet (Henüz bilmeseler de)
    Life consists of this (Hayat bundan ibaret)

[Refrain:]
    The railway station people are here by a coincidence (Istasyon insanları burdalar tesadüfen)
    Seeing the same dream, but going to different places (Aynı rüyayı görüp ayrı yerlere giden)

Long, long ago (Eskiden, çok eskiden)
    When I was still a little kid (Ben daha çok küçükken)
    When the paradise bathing beach was not yet made into a parking lot (Henüz cennet plajı otopark olmamışken)
    Between the corals (Mercanların arasında)
    There were little fish (Küçük balıklar vardı)
    The most beautiful ones were the hand-sized (En güzelleri el boyunda)
    Melon pink ones (Kavuniçi olanlardı)
    One day I saw a dream (Bir gün bir rüya gördüm)
    I dreamed that I was the melon pink fish (O kavuniçi balık benmişim)
    Without letting me grow (Büyümem beklenmeden)
    I was eaten with pleasure (Afiyetle yenmişim)

[Refrain]

Spiritual is my name (Ruhidir benim adım)
    I have a secret that I hide (Bir sırrım var saklarım)
    But when you see, you'll figure it out (Ama görünce anlarsınız)
    Just be careful not to feel pity for me (Yanliz dikkat, acımayın)
    To know that you feel pity for me is what hurts me the most (Acınmak canımı en çok acıtandır)

[Refrain]

Hope this would help you I absolutely love this song! And by the way, I can highly recommend the one Harun Tekin (from Mor ve Ötesi) sings, too. His voice goes perfectly with the slow beat (and maybe even better if you ask me)

Stay cheerful,
    PlainChaos.
    Last edited by PlainChaos; 10-26-2008 at 10:25 AM.

marmaris said:

wonderful song and wonderful translation...it couldnt be better=)

4. PlainChaos said:

Thankies!

vuoklis said:

you know what? I have Tekin's version of the song in my mp3 player and i enjoy listening to it to (to be honest, i haven't heard Teoman's version. i've just seen some notes saying that it's Teoman's song, so i thought i could ask, just to make sure )
    at first it was very funny to hear Tekin singing like THIS but now...
    heh, my translation wasn't as wrong as i expected! YAY!! tahnx

6. PlainChaos said:

Have to admit, it's first time I hear this song at all.. did a little research and found that it was a song written and sung by Teoman.. I did hear the one Tekin sings first, though, and I just loved it.. now I got to get it on my mp3 player too!!! Honestly, I have never been a big fan of Teoman, but MvÖ on the other hand, oh my god, they ROCK!!! Tekin has such an amazing voice! And you're right, in the beginning it might be hard to imagine him singing a song like this, but when you listen to it a couple of times you just love it.. and as I said before his voice actually goes perfectly with the slow beat no matter how odd that sounds sorry wrote too much guess i got too carried away... oops

Nearly forgot to say... you're so welcome
    Last edited by PlainChaos; 10-28-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Tsvitanka said:

Thank you for translation! I like this song and you know i haven't heard Teomans version too, only Harun's. He sings it perfectly, so tenderly! This song in his performance sounds for me like a lullaby

vuoklis said:

yepp, mor ve otesi's the best of the best of the best (i never thought EUROVISION can "give" me something nice to listen. i actually hate being wrong but this kind of mistake makes me glad )
    and there's no need to be sorry for writing that much - see, i'm a thought-printing-enjoyer as well

9. PlainChaos said:

#7 No prob. It's been a pleasure translating it!

#8 HAHA supa! I think is was Eurovision that made me discover them, too... or... wait a sec...
    I'm not even sure about it... whatever... the most important thing is at least to discover them and supporting them, right eh?

marmaris said:

I dont know why but i love teoman's version much more.Iit is not a new song but one of the wonderful song of "Gönülçelen" album....Also "Ruhidir benim adım" is "my name is Ruhi" as Teoman's real name is " Ruhi" I highly recommend all of you "gönülçelen" album...If you cant find,i can help u..=)

11. PlainChaos said:

His name is Ruhi? Ah that makes more sense
    I didn't know, really. Thought of it as an adjective, like in "my name is weird" or whatever, I think you get my point...

Teoman's actually got some great song writing skills from what I can see, but for some reason I've just never really been into his music. Maybe I should give it a chance...

vuoklis said:

PainChaos: (nod), yeah, it's all about supporting... speaking of wich... i've heard rumours that mor ve otesi's new album's ready. is it? is it? is it?

i've tried listening to some Teoman's songs but somehow i can't find the "spark" i need to enjoy his songs(like lithuanians say, is does not "drive"). Maybe i'll just chech his music out later - i didn't like mor ve otesi's nor Sebnem Ferah's music at first

13. PlainChaos said:

omg they're already done recording the new album?! I so much hope the rumors are true

by the way, I absolutely agree with you on Teoman's music, something's just missing... and to be completely honest, I find his songs rather boring. Maybe it's just because I don't really like his voice and yeh... his facial expression kinda makes me depressed o.ô
    but still, I totally respect those who love his music, and as a matter of fact he's actually got some great lyrics skills, as I also said before.

uuh I've always loved mor ve ötesi's music, right from the start
    but hmm sebnem ferah on the other hand... she's okay i guess, but i'm not really into her music...
    I do like some of her songs, though, e.g. "can kırıkları" that's a great one

vuoklis said:

like i said, i've read something about that, somewhere, so... hm. but i need to renew my "repertoire", so it would be really nice if this was true
    about Ferah: she's uhm. "Natural" in every song, it doesn't look as if she's got a mask on or something like that. I think that's very rare these days
    (heeeh, i don't remember how Teoman looks like somehow it's not how the artist looks like but how he sings is important to me that is, i concider pictures and music videos a complete idioticity)

kibele said:

actually, teoman's lyrics are terrific. the music is not that much important as listening to his songs. the words are crazy. they eat you up from inside slowly... if the music was that good then you would want to commit suicide... actually, it is not easy to feel it if it's not your mother tongue. i recommend listening 'rüzgar gülü' of teoman. for example, in that song he asks the weathercock if it ever thought of death. reading this, it sounds crazy; right. but it has many metaphors in it. highly poetic i can say... you should know his language as native speakers to get the whole idea.

mor ve ötesi... i adore them. their songs are also full of metaphors. have you listened to 'bir derdim var' it is much plainer and i like it too much...
    Endless Climb
    I am blind
    Why can't I hear?
    Color blind
    Speaking a phrase
    Instantly grown
    I am blind
    Waiting in line

vuoklis said:

well of course non-native speakers will never get the songs 100% correctly, i agree. But, you know, there's a great rule about all possible literature: everyone is able to interpret it in his own way, so all that's left is wether to try to translate the lyrics self or get the translation
    all in all, it's just the matter of taste, isn't it?

17. litoo said:

actually in the harun tekin version there is something wrong in da lyrics.. Specifically in that part

Henüz cennet _plajı _otopark olmamışken

he speak something else no plaj

and in this part

_Kavuniçi_ olanlardı

the same thing ..can some one explain why ?

vuoklis said:

...and i thought it was "just my imagination"...
    hm. maybe the switching of words was just an "improvement" for the song?...

19. PlainChaos said:

Of course it's wrong to judge musicians by how they look, absolutely. The only thing that matters is if they have talent and make great music with great messages. I don't care how he looks, I just say his voice, his ways or just his whole being makes me depressed o.ô

And I'm sorry to say this, #15.... but I just don't think Teoman has talent (voice) in my eyes. Now I have been giving his music another chance and I just listened to Rüzgar Gülü. It's an okay song, but not that great. I agree with you, the lyrics by itself are completely terrific, but in my opinion lyrics and sound make a whole so I can't just look away from the tunes and only focus on the lyrics, the music and singer's voice got to be more or less powerful. All in all, it's just a matter of taste I guess.
    Last edited by PlainChaos; 11-01-2008 at 06:01 AM.

vuoklis said:

uhm.. what do you mean saying "terrific"? cuz i've learnt that word as a synonim to "horrible" but somehow i don't think you use it in THAT meaning.