Song from early 1990-s or end of 1980-s

Thread: Song from early 1990-s or end of 1980-s

Tags: None
  1. arkstone said:

Default Song from early 1990-s or end of 1980-s

Sorry for bad fragment quality, I've got it from old cassette.

Link to fragment: http://www.zshare.net/audio/537216743d05e131/
    Last edited by arkstone; 01-30-2009 at 01:47 PM.

2. arkstone said:

Bump...

3. arkstone said:

Bump again... damn, nobody ever heard that?

DJ Maxx said:

To be honest I haven't listened. Don't know about anyone else, but I avoid any .ru sites. They seem to latch on to my computer and never let go. Maybe others have also had bad experiences.

freddy2fan said:

I listened to the song (the .ru site did nothing to my computer, btw) but I don't recognize it. It sounds a tad like Daniel Johnston, but I don't know.

Also, I was under the impression that .ru sites were just russian sites.

6. arkstone said:

.ru is just russian sites, nothing more, although there's always some malicious sites in .ru zone, same as any other zone though.
    I'l try to check Daniel Johnston, maybe you're right.

7. arkstone said:

Anyway I've uploaded it to zshare.net too, here's the link: http://www.zshare.net/audio/537216743d05e131/

8. arkstone said:

Bump...

9. BlueNileFan said:

Still on it! Cute song. But i'm just a bulldog, i don't know it.

Melody style and voice remind me of Gerry Rafferty (no luck so far)
    Wood blocks (synth?) remind me of Thomson Twins (woman and harmonies, bass)

All i deciphered is:
    (start)
    I remember that day
    She came into my life
    ...want to feel good
    ...she hoped for a kiss
    She wanted to (think that she was really in love)...
    (refrain with backup)
    She was (way-just ) too young
    She was just too young
    (lead) To know the game
    (bis)

Calling all Wizards!

atmaestro said:

Try "Somebody Else" by Sofia Loell

(She was) just too young to know,
    too young to see she was just a game to him
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

11. arkstone said:

No, definitely not Sofia Loell... I'll give Thomson Twins and Gerry Rafferty a shot, but not sure about that

12. arkstone said:

Bump again

13. arkstone said:

bump again da I'm tired of this

14. Fence Sitter said:

I sort of remember the video to the song from not too long ago. (Meaning I saw it, but the song is from the eighties) It starts in a more or less empty white room, except (I guess) a feature at one end which was a raised all black constructed fire place, with modern hard lines but simplistic, but more an art piece than functional. I don't remember more than that apart from the bloke singing.

I am impressed that BlueNileFan and atmaster could grasp as many words as they did. I can only make out the opening line, and that's only because I half remember it. (Then again, I may just feel that way as a means to prop up my denial, of just how bad my hearing has gotten lately. :-) )

I remember that day, that'you came into my life

I think I also hear "fooling around" somewhere later in the song.

I'll have a look through a couple of VHS tapes to see it was actually on a tape and therefore was a segment of "Rage" from some years ago.

I believe I have seen the video on Australia's weekly ABC "Rage" sometime in the last 3 years following "the Vapors - Turning Japanese" or "Soft Cell - Tainted Love". Sadly their archive seems to rendered google searches of their playlist ineffective. Either song, has been played a number of times over the last 10 years and a single result or actually, anything less than 5 results, isn't believable.

I have a few ideas. I couldn't find any results in the WWW for the group "New Romantics" with google, apart from being used as a descriptive term. The name sort of rings a faint bell. "The The" are another group but didn't see any track names that I felt could correspond.

Edit
    Last edited by Fence Sitter; 02-10-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: clarify

15. arkstone said:

Definitely not The-The, I've listened to all of their tracks and didn't find any.. Now looking for "New romantics"

16. arkstone said:

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/playlist/...5/20050114.htm - Here's Vapors - Turning Japanese.

17. arkstone said:

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/playlist/...4/20040214.htm - Soft Cell - Tainted Love... Anyway I'm lost there Still looking

18. Fence Sitter said:

I have been I've looked through the 13 soft cell results and the 6 results for vapors within the abc/rage/archive. I examined the rest in the play list as well, just in case it was later on in the night, but didn't see any name that rang a bell. (One list has Countdown from 1986 listed, and it's very possible that the clip was within the one hour rerun)

Doesn't look like it's there. I'm getting a unsettling feeling I might have seen it on something other than "Rage", but can't think what show I'd have even bothered to watch or tape on the off chance some old favourites would show up.

I don't tend to see commercial stations here in Australia, even though their last year was a better effort. Most of the commercial stations concentrate of the stuff that ... well some people listen to it I guess, but I avoid the songs where you can stand 30 feet away from the stereo or TV and have difficulty perceiving it as any different from the rest of the "music".

I'm hoping I taped it. I've been through 3 vhs tapes thus far, and as of an hour ago, I stupidly put an old tape that didn't have a cover into the machine, and head clean up looks like it's going to be a manual job tomorrow. (Actually just later in the day.)

Only got another 15 or so tapes to check, so will know definitely in a day or two if it's on tape.

19. arkstone said:

Hope you'll find it Meanwhile I'm still trying rage playlists

20. Fence Sitter said:

It's killing me that I should know it, but can't pull it out from my memory.

I've realised at least two of my tapes are "missing" which were continuous segments of "Rage". (It's my very blunt approach to find "new" songs that have made their way onto radio and getting popular.) Still a few more tapes to go through.

All the best with the playlist. I had a look through all the results I could find, but nothing dawned on me.