MUSICAL INFLUENCES: A tribute

Thread: MUSICAL INFLUENCES: A tribute

Tags: None

Angeliki said:

Smile MUSICAL INFLUENCES: A tribute

I know growing up I've had been exposed to a very eclectic array of music that influences what I listen to today. I'm sure many of us have been influenced by what our parents listened to or acquired appreciation for artists as we grow older. I would like to dedicate this thread to those artists and who influences our music presently. I think it would be a great conversation if we all shared our opinions and perhaps knowledge about these artists.

For me, I grew up listening to doo *** and motown music. My father loved the golden oldies. I used to steal his TAPES (yes tapes) of The Temptations and The Four Tops (just to name a couple) and listen to them. I think that these two bands were the foundation for todays r&b. Although strayed almost completely from the originals, nevertheless, without them rythem and blues wouldnt be what it is today.

Other influencial artists:
    Frank Sinatra, Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Shirlles, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Lets go back to where it all started...
    It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; thru sickness we recognize the value of health; thru evil, the value of good; thru hunger, the value of food; thru exertion, the value of rest.

jandros said:

I think this is a great topic, and I would also say that I have eclectic tastes in music, and I love to talk about music!

Of course you already mentioned one of my very favorite older groups, the Temptations. But since I'm older, I didn't have to "steal" any tapes ... yes tapes! ... I bought them myself, in the late 60's and early 70's. And of course the influence of the Temptations (and also Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) certainly can't be understated. How many other groups copied those guys, or rode their coattails to success? It's impossible to count.

I also think the Isley Brothers had a great deal of influence. Still Motown, but their own sound, and I think they influenced others in a slightly different way.

But of course B.B. King had an tremendous influence. This topic certainly could not be complete without mentioning him ... or John Lee Hooker ... here with Bonnie Raitt, playing some pure-classic Delta blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT-FoZt95D4

I looooove American music!!!

But as for something closer to my ethic roots, I want to mention Hank Williams ... but part of his influences are in deep-south blues and southern Black gospel ... which is just a lead-in to my next honorable mention ...

The Dixie Hummingbirds. I would say that those guys invented the classic "quartet" harmony & style that has possibly influenced every "pop" music group since the 1930's. They had their first hit in 1928, and it might have sounded and looked something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKTK...eature=related

Since they celebrated their 70th anniversary in 1998, I'll even suggest that that's where it all started, for maybe as much 90% of American mainstream "top 40" music since Bill Hailey and the Comets. And Doo W-o-p is another extension ... and even Jerry Lee Lewis I think, although he most certainly had his own style that a few other people have tried to copy.

I will also mention a few others that are big on my list of influences or ground-breaking style: Elvis ... Willie Nelson & Waylon Jennings for their "outlaw" country/western music ... and Emmylou Harris, for putting Appalachian/hillbilly music on the map ... and my list would not be complete without mentioning Carlos Santana ... and Hall & Oates? ...

But I've hogged too much space here, and I need to leave something for someone else ... but of course there is a whole lot more!

Once again, great topic!
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Angeliki said:

Jandros: Thank you for joining in on the conversation. I feel like this thread is not going anywhere. I just wanted to have a place to reminice about music and possibly learn a bit about eachother through music. LOVE SANTANA! Absolutly amazing their musical accomplishments over the past couple decades!

I can't say i like country. I think its the only category of music I'm not thrilled with. I don't know why. Although Willie Nelson isn't too bad.

I love to listen to Janis Joplin. It's a real shame she wasn't around longer. She made such an impact on music from her time. It wouldve been nice to see her around longer. Her and disco...LOVE DISCO. Unfortunatly that era lasted only so long. My father went to Studio 54! So jelous. I would have in that time! It would have been nice to be part of a cultural movement like that. It made dance music what it is today. It's a shame to know that there was a somewhat violent movement between rock music culture and disco music culture. Such a shame that such a common interest like music can become segregated too
    It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; thru sickness we recognize the value of health; thru evil, the value of good; thru hunger, the value of food; thru exertion, the value of rest.

jandros said:

Hey Jersey Girl

Maybe if we post every 2-3 days and keep it near the top, others will join in sooner or later. In other topics (not in General Discussion) there has been occasional random mention about musical influences, within conversations about various musicians, etc. So I'm sure there's a lot of interest for this. "If you build it, they will come" ..... Field of Dreams, James Earl Jones and Kevin Costner

Actually I don't like "core country & western" either. It is sooooo boring, so cookie-cutter, most of it. I only like a very few musicians who have really made a mark, or who have something very unique. And again for me it usually has to have a certain Blues influence. If it's bluesy, I'll probably like it. But of course I'm an "old southern boy", so I've heard it all.

I was in Europe when Disco first took off (at least in Europe), and I liked some of the songs, but I didn't get into that period much. But now I really like that influence on contemporary music, and I would say there's a lot of Disco influence scattered around right now. And maybe I'm wrong but I'll even suggest that most Euro-techno-dance is rejuvenated Disco. Again maybe I'm off-base but that's how it seems to me. And of course the only music that's better than Disco for dance, for me, is an old 60's slow-drag song. But I suppose that's just my generation

Yeah, about musical segregation, it is a real shame. This is my firm and direct opinion: The more integrated the music style, as for genre or culture or anything else, the better and better it gets. Just as one example, recently I've learned to really appreciate a mix of Latin and Arabic music. But about "American" music itself, in all of its forms, it can almost take every musical form that exists.

Janis Joplin: How about Grace Slick and Led Zeppelin? The Doors? And of course Hendrix. That was an era all by itself, and I can't even label it. It was just so unique, and also such a strong influence that a lot others still try to imitate.

Santana, my favorite topic! Whatever you can say about Santana, I will probably agree 100%. And you know he's actually been recording for more than 35 years? I first heard his music (a local band playing 'Evil Ways') in 1971-72, at a hole-in-the-wall club in Kinston NC. I had to sneak into the club because of my age but that song had just started playing when I came thru the door. It hooked me on Santana forever.

I could go on and on, but I should save something for a future post
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Angeliki said:

I know Field of Dreams! Good movie Btw jandros, where do you suggest I move this thread? I'm a little confused where it would be best placed so others can join in on the conversation too. Don't get me wrong I like posting back and forth with you, but it would be fun to have other opinions

I have to agree with you when you talk about disco's influence on modern european techno. I think disco is really the primary basis for modern techno music in general. It has a completely different feel to it. You know when your listening to a disco/techno song. There is no mistakening it for anything else. This kind of music is generally in a class of its own when it comes to a listening audience. Take clubs (in the United States) for an example. Typically there are different rooms you can go into to dance (thats if you go to big night clubs (New York City), like i used to ). One room will be an 80s room, another would be a techno room, and another would be a hip hop room (just for example). I find that people dancing in the techno room never move out of there and same goes for people dancing in the hip hop room (except me). People either love or hate techno. Its the oddest thing. Its very different in Europe though. Most of the clubs I've been to, the hip hop room is packed and the techno room (which is rather larger) is not nearly as populated. I guess it comes down to what people want to dance to. I don't know.

I have the doors and led zepplin on my ipod definitly iconic! I also am a big fan of Meatloaf, Elton John and Aerosmith. All those artists are fantastic and really have a certain style about them and can never be duplicated.

I went to Nashville TN not too long ago for business, and I went to BB King's blues bar. It was FANTASTIC. I have to say that I appreciated blues before, but NOTHING is like listening to it live. It is awesome. I know blues has this country influence, but its nothing like country music. Blues just tells a story and not in a hickish way One of my favorite blues band is Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble. Many of their hits have been heard a billion times and covered just as many.

Okay now I'm babling...

jandros said:

Angeliki, just found your post and now I have to sign off, but just quickly .....

Stevie Ray Vaughan is (was) soooo great!!! In my mind he's a legend, even a purist in a way. And just in the past 3-4 days I've posted a couple of his greats from youtube, in the "What are you currently listening to" topic. His music always gets me in a groove.

About blues/country, actually I meant the other way around. Blues came first!

As for location of this topic, this seems like the perfect spot for it. So I don't know ... maybe we're the only "deep thinkers" on this site .... but seriously, I know that's not the case. I think someone else will break down and post here soon.

About disco (etc) those were my thoughts exactly, but your expertise and experiences made the perfect statement I think.

Gotta go now, be back soon I hope!

Angeliki said:

Jandros I almost forgot to respond so we can bump this post!