Swiss-German to English Translation help

Thread: Swiss-German to English Translation help

Tags: None

Melkyas said:

Default Swiss-German to English Translation help

Hi, I need to know what this means and I'm pretty sure it's in Swiss-German:

hett iz de wuchenänd

Can anyone help me?

Steena said:

today it is the weekend

but let someone else agree before you use it or do whatever you want to do with it. "hett" usually means something else, but that makes no sense in this case.
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

Cosmonaut said:

Doesn't hett mean "hat" normally? But yea, I have to agree with you, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Steena said:

Yes, "hätte" but it's possible that the writing here is a bit strange, "iz" is no usually way to write either.

Cosmonaut said:

Ah who knows, might just be someone trying to copy how Swiss people speak? But anyway, it doesn't affect the correctness of the translation.

Steena said:

A new style of language used by the youth You never know what they do today.

Tahira said:

Maybe HETT means HEUTE in this case?

Heute ist Wochenende?

Steena said:

Right Of course!

Melkyas said:

Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate it. I was running out of ideas on where I find a translator that knows Swiss-German. You see, I'm more than likely going to be moving to Switzerland real soon and though I still have a a lot to learn as far as regular German goes, but having a little help from those that speak it and English is wonderful!

Steena said:

If you train your regular German, you will find the dialect far easier none of the above persons actually speaks Swiss-German but we are all used to the dialects of our surrounding and the language in general.

11. arev_loussin said:

I speak Swiss German.
    I would say the sentence means: I'll have my weekend soon.

Hett = Hätte / would have
    iz = jetzt / now

12. rugbygirlie said:

Default i'm looking for help with this one....

Can anyone tell me what this means?

Ich zikter vo da bartley da mocht holt.

I know I have spelled things wrong... but I think I spelled it the way it sounds. It is Swiss German.... and apparently it is something you would say to a bad child.

Can anyone help? I would appreciate it.

13. Avalin said:

Ich zeig där wo dä bartli dä moscht holt / wissen, wo der Bartel den Most holt

It's a collocation, translate word by worte it means:

I will show you who "Bartli" (name) gets the most

it's like:
    to know which side one's bread is buttered on

Melkyas said:

huh!?? lol

Compared to the other responses, this one confuses me greatly!

15. rugbygirlie said:

Default sorry to confuse you Melkyas/ thank you Avalin

Melkyas--

sorry if my post confused you. I am trying to learn some Swiss-German. My boyfriend is Swiss... From Zurich. He will occasionally give me little phrases to go figure out. That is how I stumbled upon this forum... which I am finding helpful and fun. I thought I would just throw that phrase out... and ask for help with it.

Thank you Avalin for your translation.... I think I may have spelled words so incorrectly that you may not have been able to discern the correct swiss-german word Peter (my boyfriend ) was using. The translation I proudly gave him... was not exactly what he was looking for. I will eventually post the real meaning with better spelling.... once Peter tells me.

I have also purchased a Pimsler version of learning Swiss-German. I like ti...it is helpful... but it does not necessarily provide me with the vocabulary to say things that I might want/need to say. listening Peter talk to him mom and other family members helps the most. I catch words...write them down and then ask what they mean later.

If anyone knows where I can get a Swiss -German dictionary (if you are in Switzerland and can mail one too me!!! I would not be able to thank you enough! --of course I will pay you first--- or there is a book titled "Hoi" that seems to be out of print or maybe just not accessable in the US.... that too is something I would like to purchase. So if anyone has any helpful books, phrases, resources language labs, or other suggestions to help me progress with my Swiss-German I would love to hear them.

Thank you!
    -Dana /rugbygirlie

16. rugbygirlie said:

Oh.... and Swiss-German music or movies!

Does anyone know where I can purchase Swiss-German music or movies? ( i looked on Amazon and amazon.ch)

even the names of a few popular artists would be VERY helpful.... sometimes learning language phrases with a tune helps them stick in your head.

DVD's would need to be formatted for the united States. European ones don't play here.

-Dana/rugbygirlie

17. Avalin said:

Music artist:
    Baschi
    Gölä
    Bligg
    Mia Aegerter
    Züri West
    Polo Hofer
    Peter Reber
    Florian Ast

The Swiss Charts: http://www.hitparade.ch/weekchart.asp?cat=s
    (The one with the Swiss Flag behind are songs from Swiss people)

Movies: http://www.headfilm.ch/index/dvd-schweizerfilme.html http://www.soundmedia.ch/de/st/h33/1...hweizer-film/1
    z.B.
    Achtung, Fertig Charlie
    Grounding, die letzten Tage der Swissair
    Herbstzeitlosen
    Stuart Little
    Mein Name ist Eugen

Melkyas said:

Don't worry about it Rugbygirlie. I wish I could learn Swiss-German, but I seem to find it difficult to even find a way to learn it for free or close to it. I wanted to move to Switzerland because that is where my origin of family is from.

feuersteve said:

Rugbygirl:

I am a big fan of swiss music and Natacha. You can go to www.natacha.ch and listen to a lot of her music and see the lyrics. (If you don´t know German, click on"discography")

There is not a lot of her on youtube, but check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaK253Oj_BU

There is a lot of Gölä, Florian Ast and Plüsch on youtube.

I have about 6 or 7 CD´s of swiss music, but i got them from my swiss exchange student.

Here are some other links to swiss songs you might like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ge_04NkHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owM3pBSG2FM

Ja die Schweiz ist ziemlich schön! I vermisse ihr schampar!

(You should get a DVD player set to Code 0, then you could play any country)

But you can play your DVD´s on your computer.

20. Johann Ray said:

hey when it come to speaking the true swiss language most people dont no jack about it first off its not called swiss - german there is no such thing now if anything it would be swiss spoken through a german dialect. that would be correct i know my entire family is swiss. and i can trace my history all the way back to Johann Caspar Pfinninger and its not pronounced like (fin*in*ger) like the germans like to argue it is pronounced like (fin*ing*er). that is all i have to say. srry if it seems rude but im proud of my heritage and when people think they no a culture when they have no real roots that can trace them back to that country. and they think they know what they are tlking about and they dont it kinda burns me. any way just wanted to make that clear. any questions just ask.