Caje Sukarije lyrics in English

Thread: Caje Sukarije lyrics in English

Tags: None
  1. Stefanovich said:

Default Caje Sukarije lyrics in English

Hey! I'm looking for an English translation of the lyrics to "Caje Sukarije" by Esma Redzepova. Anyone here who knows where I can find it or, alternatively, may translate it from Romani?

Romani lyrics found on some random web page:

"Cajorije sukarije, mapir urde palamande
    mapir urde palamande caje.

Haljam pekljanman, caje sukarije
    movogi ljiljan, caje sukarije
    irindikman caje.

Tele dike vogi tare, cajorije, sukarije
    mapir urde palamande, mapir urde palamande caje"

2. mischaSWFL said:

Default Romani lyrics

I believe the language is actually Kurdish. You won't find any of the Rom family of languages on line, and we (I am Rom, but one of the "lost children after coming to America, family refuses to take part in anything to do with other Rom) are infamous for not sharing our information.

3. myriapod said:

i post you the original text and an english translation...a friend from macedonia helped me with this translation some weeks ago... it's in romani as he said this song is famous from serbia to turkey...

Čajorije, šukarije, ma phir urde pala mande,
    ** ma phir urde pala mande, čaje*! – čaje*! *:|
    |: Haljan, pekljan man, – čaj' šukarije*!
    ** mo vodži liljan, – čaj' šukarije*!
    ** Irin, dikh man, čaje*! *:|
    A-a-a...
    M-m-m...
    Haljan...
    Tele dikhe, vogi tare, pani ane,
    |: Čajorije, šukarije, ma phir urde pala mande,
    ** ma phir urde pala mande, čaje*! – čaje*! *:|
    Haljan...
    A-a-a...
    M-m-m...

Little girl, pretty one, don't walk slowly behind me,
    don't walk slowly behind me, girl!
    You have eaten and burned me,
    you have taken my heart,
    turn, look at me, girl!
    Look down, my heart is burning, bring water,
    Little girl, pretty one, don't walk slowly behind me,
    don't walk slowly behind me, girl!

4. mischaSWFL said:

Default Thank You!!!

Thank you so very much! I had plugged the lyrics in to one of several linguistic translation programs and it came back as Kurdish written with the Germanic alphabet but couldn't translate it. I love my family, but am heartbroken that I know so very little of my heritage. I know enough to despise the Hollywood, glamorized version of the Romani, but the few Romani that I have encountered here in the states will share nothing with me, and the best I have been able to do was track my grandmother's birth village in Slovakia. I am desperate to learn more, but don't know where to turn. You have brightened my day, lifted my heart, and given me hope that someday I might be able to learn about who I come from.

5. Stefanovich said:

Heh, nothing like waiting 9 months for an answer. Indeed, good things come to those who wait

Many thanks to you myriapod for sharing this with us, and many thanks to your Macedonian friend for taking the time to translate the lyrics.

And best of luck to you mischaSWFL, I hope you will be successful in learning more about your heritage

6. Arjun Krishna Lal said:

Well, I'm Indian, and India is your original homeland The Romani were driven out of Rajasthan, in the northwestern part of India, during the medieval Islamic invasions. Though it's been nearly 1,000 years, it's incredible how many similarities there are between modern Hindi and Romani chib (heck, even the word "chib," which means tongue, or language in Romani, means tongue in Hindi :P). Moreover, even though the Romani were forced to convert to Christianity, incredibly, you guys retained many age-old Indian traditions. The patron saint of the Romani, Kali Sara is...well, a Christianized form of the goddess Kali Sara. Incredibly, even the ceremony we have in which the idol is immersed in a body of water, is retained by the Romani. Europe's never been a homeland for Romani. It's been a place of oppression and slavery. You should come back home sometime to India