Baptism

Thread: Baptism

Tags: None

fayoori said:

Post Baptism

I was really interested in knwoing what baptism was and what it signifies.
    Yeh ur all prob wondering where the heck did she think this one up! Lol i was watching the godfather and there was a scene with baptism, etc.
    Also, is it only for roman catholics? xx

damarys said:

The Roman Cathlotic church practices baptism, but it is by no means the only followers of Jesus Christ who do so.

Baptism means many different things in the Christian tradition. For many, baptism brings salvation. For others, baptism symbolizes the new life in Jesus Christ. Jesus himself was baptized and so it is a sacrament that is important to almost all followers of Christ. When someone is baptized, it's usually in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and water is usually used (although not always... I have heard of people being baptized with sand when water was not available).

In some traditions, being baptized simbolizes entrance into the body of Christ, into the group of believers. This sacrament signifies for many the forgiveness of sins and so dying without being baptized may damn your soul (or send your soul to temporary place). This is one of the reasons that some groups insist that babies be baptized as soon as possible... just in case something happens!

Other Christian groups look at baptism as way to testify publicy that they have left behind their old life and now live a new life in Christ. Many churches who believe this, do not usually conduct infant baptism, but wait until a child is of age to understand the sacrament. Some of these churches instead, dedicate their infants to God instead of baptizing them.

Some believe in "sprinkling" water, others in complete immersion in water, but that's for another day.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much!

fayoori said:

Oh no no u didnt confuse me at all. You've explained hun

Wow..

So aside from the prayer and sprinkling water, isnt there something handed out to the childen to eat? or put in their mouths? Or is tht the equivalent of water?

damarys said:

I have never heard of a child given anything to eat at baptism.

The sacrament of Holy Communion is the only other sacrament that involves eating and that occurs separately from baptism. It is highly unsual for an infant to participate in communion... I've never heard of that.

fayoori said:

Sorry for the late reply, i was miserably ill, and still recovering.
    U know I think I mixed up both parts (of the movies)
    In the 1st part there was baptism.. just how u described it..
    In the 2nd part the children are a little grown up and the priest put something in their mouth.. my bad.. sorry..

damarys said:

So sorry to hear you were ill, fayoori!!! I'm glad you are better. Take care.
    The second part sounds like it's the other sacrament... holy communion. Christian churches practice this sacrament differently. However, in the Roman Catholic church, a child's FIRST communion is celebrated. Children go through classes where they learn about the beliefs of the church. When they have finished these classes successfully, they can participate in the act of communion. what you saw them eating was a wafer which symbolized bread, or the body of Christ. They also drink wine (or grape juice in some churches), this symbolizes the blood of Christ.

Jesus Christ met with his disciples and "broke bread" with them. You have probably seen the famous painting of the Last Supper by Da Vinci:

This painting depicts Jesus sharing a meal with his disciples. He broke bread and drank wine with them and told them that whenever they did this, they should remember him. As you may know, Jesus was cricified on a wooden stake or cross. For Christians, eating the bread symbolizes his broken body on the cross and the wine symbolizes the blood that was shed on the cross.

fayoori said:

thanks. ive had typhoid for 2 weeks . just recovering now.

ahhhh yes this makes sense! im familiar with the painting too
    now i understand why the children were given tht..
    ahh..
    its pretty interesting thank you.. youve explained very well aswell.. its not too much info its just about the right amount

damarys said:

Arg! I posted my message twice and tried to delete one and I deleted both. Bummer. Sorry about that. (Edit: I asked the webmaster to help me find my deleted message and he/she/they did!!!! Amazing! I love the service here. i think I'll come back again! LOL!)

Anyway, fayoori,.... did you say you had TYPHOID fever? Wow!!! I have heard about it and it sounds dangerous! WHat are the symptoms?
    Last edited by damarys; 03-06-2009 at 09:27 PM.

fayoori said:

i know.. the moderators on ths site are amazing ppl!

typhoids symptoms..its rle similar to malaria..
    u feel naseous.. ur fever rises to 104ish.. (mine did for 5-6days in a row!).. u vomit.. u cant eat.. ur in ALOT of pain.. u feel dehydrated..
    i wouldnt wish it on an enemy wallah! its tht bad..
    but al7amdillah im all gd now jus putin my head down and tryin to revise..
    what do u do btw? xx