Lyrics from Mercan Dede

Thread: Lyrics from Mercan Dede

Tags: None

Karanis said:

Default Lyrics from Mercan Dede

There's a song from one of Mercan Dede's old albums, "Sufi Dreams" and one of the tracks, "Last Chapter - Dream of the Dreams" sounds like a Quranic prayer. I heard a "bismillah ir rahmanir raheem" in it, and I think a reference to Shaitan toward the beginning, probably requesting protection from him. It's definitely not the Surah Fatihah. Mercan Dede's music is mostly Turkish, but this song is pretty clearly Arabic. I've tried fairly hard to search for lyrics for this song to no avail. If anyone could help, I'd be most appreciative. I don't necessarily need a translation, though it would be nice. I'd mostly just prefer the original Arabic text... even if without a transliteration, I could use it to help me learn how to read Arabic.

Many thanks in advance!

Edit: There is a recording of the full song available on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/music/Mercan+Dede...+Of+The+Dreams

You don't have to be a member of the site to listen to the whole song, though checking out last.fm is worth it anyway because it's awesome
    Last edited by Karanis; 03-25-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Daydream said:

Definitely Qur'anic verses.. once I find which one.. you want the whole sura in Arabic or just the verses recited in the 1 minute of the song?
    Ya reitni 2amle b sha3rak, kel lama ashta2lak atsa7sel w ashoufak ♥

Karanis said:

Just those recited. I can find the text for the whole sura on my own if needed, really.

Daydream said:

It's the 100th sura in the Holy Qur'an and it's recited in it's entirety over the music..

Surat el 3adeyat
    سورة العاديات

I can't copy it, but here it is: http://www.submission.org/efarsi/arabic/sura100.html

Just wondering are you sufi?

Karanis said:

Many thanks! I greatly appreciate it.

I'm actually an atheist, but I have tremendous interest in Sufi Islam. Why do you ask?

Daydream said:

I thought you may be a Muslim so if you were I could inform you that the track is technically wrong to listen to because it's haraam/wrong for Qur'an to be put to music

So I thought you may be sufi because obviously sufi would listen to the track.

Anyways you're welcome and I'm glad I can help

Karanis said:

I didn't know that! Why is it wrong to put the Qur'an to music? Does the Qur'an itself prohibit it, or does the hadith/sunna? Or somewhere else?

Daydream said:

It's mentioned in the Qur'an itself

here is the translated verse: 'When the Qur'an is read, listen attentively, and fall silent, so that you may be blessed with mercy' (al-A'raf 7: 204)

So basically you must give your undivided attention and with music playing in the background you can't do that.