Solved: Trying to identify an early 60s instrumental pop tune

Thread: Solved: Trying to identify an early 60s instrumental pop tune

Tags: None

birdofparadise said:

Default Solved: Trying to identify an early 60s instrumental pop tune

This song got quite a bit of airplay when it was released, I'm guessing circa 1961, give or take a few years. It was instrumental, with a very exotic atmosphere complete with tropical birds, maybe featured a marimba, soft latin percussion, etc. I seem to recall that it was piano based, and part of the song descended in scale. I can remember just a few snatches of the melody. Sorry I can't remember more, but I was quite young when it came out. Anybody know the name of this song, and/or the artist? I'd love to hear it again.

atmaestro said:

Try "Theme from A Summer Place" by Percy Faith (1960-61)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mERbQIvgJXs
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

atmaestro said:

Going with the latin flavor of your clues,
    also try "The Lonely Bull (El Solo Torro)" by Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass (1962).

birdofparadise said:

Nope, and nope. "Theme From A Summer Place" is a lovely song, but I'm very familiar with it, and it's not what I'm looking for. "The Lonely Bull" I just sampled on amazon, and I'd heard it before---definitely not the one. The instrumental I'm trying to ID may be even earlier than I guessed, maybe 1959-1960? I wish I knew. No, not "The Happy Organ", either. This mystery song has become a real obscurity, apparently.

asgard_shill said:

A couple of ideas:

Tea For Two Cha-Cha, Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, 1958

Yellow Bird, Arthur Lyman Group, 1961

Java, Al Hirt, 1964

Canción de Cuna, Kathleen Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXeYB-pvIY

birdofparadise said:

No way, on all 4. Just checked them out on amazon. Nothing like. The tune whose title I seek is truly unique among pop instrumentals. I don't recall any horns at all. Exotic, punctuated with tropical bird calls, in rhythm with the slightly jazzy, but laid back, tempo. Thanks anyway. Now I'm off to bed...

atmaestro said:

Try the samples of the songs, "Quirky Mambo" and "Bright Bossa", found in the attached link:

http://www.opuzz.com/displayproducts...rch=&mode=&ps=

Are these songs similar?

birdofparadise said:

No, and no. The song I seek is not cheese, or lounge. It is more atmospheric, kind of like Beaver & Krause, before B & K---but with a gentle, insistent latin rhythm. Nor should it be an obscurity since it got a lot of AM radio pop airplay, whatever year that was between about 1959-1963. Key to identifying it is: IF IT DOESN'T HAVE THE TROPICAL BIRD CALLS, OR CAWS, WOVEN INTO THE MUSIC---IT ISN'T THE SONG. These are somewhat prominent in places. If you didn't grow up in the 50s/60s, you might have trouble with this, as you would have never heard it. I think I heard part of it in a movie (circa 1980s) soundtrack once, but I can't remember the movie. I thought "Sea Of Love" (the movie), but couldn't find it in the movie when I watched it again not long ago. Maybe I got distracted.

asgard_shill said:

Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJK2LwD_nEY

Go to about 50 seconds into the video.

Artist: Martin Denny
    Title: Quiet Village

10. Claybricks said:

Quote Originally Posted by asgard_shill View Post
    Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJK2LwD_nEY

Go to about 50 seconds into the video.

Artist: Martin Denny
    Title: Quiet Village
    Billboard rank: #4 in 1959

Dan

birdofparadise said:

YEAH!!! By Jove, I think you have! Checked the YouTube link, then amazon for the studio version. Didn't realize there were so many albums/CDs available by The Exotic Sounds Of Martin Denny, or that the tune was that old. Checking Billboard, it hit the charts 4-27-59 and made it to position #4. He had another at #28 in November of the same year, called "The Enchanted Sea". "Quiet Village" belongs on the same compilation CD with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh)" by the Tokens, "Sun Arise" & "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" by Rolf Harris, "Sukiyaki" by Kyu Sakamoto, "The Twilight Zone" by the Ventures, etc. Thanks a heap, asgard shill! Good work, & well done! I don't know how you did it. I've been wondering about this song for many years.

asgard_shill said:

To be honest, I'm not sure how I found it myself. This came out the year I was born. But my parents both listened to every off-the-wall, avant-garde type of music they could get their hands on, so I'm sure this vinyl crossed their transom at some point whilst I was still in diapers. Just a shadow of protomemory about birds and a quiet village ...

Enjoy it!
    My sense of God is my sense of wonder about the universe (Albert Einstein)

atmaestro said:

Excellent find Asgard!

birdofparadise said:

Truly amazing, to be sure. Sounds like you're well grounded, alright. Thanks again, and keep doing it. Now that it's identified, I think I'll forgo the mp3 download and get the Greatest Hits CD instead when it goes on sale at BMG.