Russian hard-to-understand phrazes (folklore)

Thread: Russian hard-to-understand phrazes (folklore)

Tags: None
  1. boubou said:

Quote Originally Posted by vuoklis View Post
    работа не волк - в лес не убежит is the same unit. it means that you can't skip doing your work becausi it won't just dissappear (like a wolf that runs into the forest). So it's usually used in situations when someone doesn't want to do something obligatory. for example, i don't want to write a paper for university but работа не волк - в лес не убежит, i have to do it.
    there. ) dunno if it helps..
    Thank you vuoklis.
    It already helped a lot :KISS:
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    A. Einstein

s_jazz said:

Don´t beat me,
    I´d like to add, who says these words; for example, I don´t want to do smth, and today I claim ¨I´ll do it tomorrow¨, tomorrow I say ¨Iĺl do it after tomorrow¨, and so on And I reassure myself by these words Работа не волк - в лес не убежит.
    This phraze is for truly lazy person

NikiLas said:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by s_jazz View Post
    I reassure myself by these words Работа не волк - в лес не убежит.
    I don't want to get beaten myself, but: I'm not sure that this phrase can be used to reassure oneself. It's more like an upset expression of a lazy person: "Man, I gotta do it anyway, it's gonna be there until I do it..." And to cheer yourself up, you can use Утро вечера мудренее (The morning is wiser than the night) which can be an equivalent to "sleep on it" or "tomorrow is a new day" etc.

4. Vikki Sorsa said:

s_jazz is right. Another ones really didn't understand this phrase correct. Sorry)

s_jazz said:

Mmm...
    Vuoklis´s explanation of the meaning the phrase "Работа не волк - в лес не убежит" is perfect.

Nikilas, maybe I translated the verb (успокаивать) ¨to reassure¨ incorrectly?
    I reassure myself because I´m in trouble ))) It´s a stressful situation for me - I must do the work, but I don´t want, I really can´t make myself do it now
    For Boubou
    ¨And I reassure myself by these words Работа не волк - в лес не убежит
    in Russian:
    Я успокаиваю себя словами "работа - не волк и в лес не убежит". (Я все равно должна буду сделать эту работу, никуда она не денется, так что я сделаю ее попозже).
    sorry people for long posts )

NikiLas said:

Smile

Well, if you look at it this way, then you're right, s_jazz!!!
    Видимо, я Вас (тебя) не правильно поняла ))

tim2286 said:

a little bit off topic but ....

does "Вас" have to be capitalized even in the middle of the sentence? no right

kolbaskina said:

It's the form of respect.
    But usually it's used in the formal style

And plz stick, stick, stick the theme!
    нам ніколи, мабуть, не дійти до межі,
    за якою немає ні смутку, ні страху...

Bizim gibi delilere her gün bayram

Bolonka said:

I dont think it is formal style, when we talk to unknown person or a person who is much elder than we are we say Вы (you) with a capital letter. when we refer to some people (more than one) we say also вы but we dont have to capitalise it.
    Be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it!!!!

10. boubou said:

лучше синица в руках, чем журавль в небе —
    a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Скажите пожалуйста, что это значит?
    A. Einstein

vuoklis said:

это значит "лучше довольствоваться немногим, но ХОТЬ ЧЕМ-ТО нежели не иметь вообще ничего". то есть... мм. например, тебе надо было купить...скажем, сгущонки (МНОГО сгущонки для большого пирога), но в магазине была толька одна банка, а тебе нужны были три. ты решил(-а) купить ту одну банку и испечь пирог по меньше, но всё-таки испечь, это ведь лучше чем ничего
    as usual, i HOPE it helps

12. boubou said:

Quote Originally Posted by vuoklis View Post
    это значит "лучше довольствоваться немногим, но ХОТЬ ЧЕМ-ТО нежели не иметь вообще ничего". то есть... мм. например, тебе надо было купить...скажем, сгущонки (МНОГО сгущонки для большого пирога), но в магазине была толька одна банка, а тебе нужны были три. ты решил(-а) купить ту одну банку и испечь пирог по меньше, но всё-таки испечь, это ведь лучше чем ничего
    as usual, i HOPE it helps
    Да, этот пример очень помог мне
    Спасибо тебе огромное vuoklis
    A. Einstein

vuoklis said:

всегда готова, приходите ещё :d

alpatrus said:

γεια σου !

лучше синица в руках, чем журавль в небе —
    a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

This means, that when you got something little (small pie - например) now,
    is better, when you will be waiting for another BIG PIE for a long time.
    (sorry - я не видел обьяснение выше)

Irene_OFFelia said:

"a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" is an english equivalent of this idiom, but translation means "it's better to have a tomtit in your hands, than a grus in the sky")

16. Vassily Panferov said:

By the way, let's clear it up with "Вы" and "вы".

вы from the small letter is used when you refer to a group of people, two or more.

Саша, Коля, Маша, вы мне нравитесь!

It oly goes with the capital letter when it is at the start of the sentence.

Вы from the capital letter is used as a polite form of referring to a sole person.

Николай Петрович, Вы меня понимаете?

Cause it is not polote in russian to say, for example, to your professor or your girlfriend's dad something like

Николай Петрович, ты мне нравишься!