The Bulgarian Cuisine

Thread: The Bulgarian Cuisine

Tags: None

lopatka said:

And also sarmi with cabbage leaves and pieces of pork :]]] It's sooo good.
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

2. nickname778 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Thanks tedinkyyy! It was the best special something I ever tried and I am a huge ice cream fan! So.. I was hoping there's some secret to it... lol
    Well basically the original Melba is not a bulgarian desert, and it's named after a singer ( soprano ) Nellie Melba, you can read about it in wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach_Melba . Now the word Melba in Bulgaria is used to describe (almost) any desert containing ice cream, fruits and maybe some biscuits and it has many variations .

Quote Originally Posted by lopatka View Post
    Yeap, I love them too. Am I wrong, or are they somewhat difficult to prepare since they need lots of boiling time ( I'm totally not familiar with cooking, but I think that my mother told me so ).

Btw I love staffed peppers, and I think that the ingredients for the staffing are pretty much the same as the one used for "Sarmi" ( or am I wrong ? )

Spring said:

Yep the thing I ate was peach melba So maybe it was special after all hehe

Thanks nickname778

tedinkyyy said:

Quote Originally Posted by lopatka View Post
    Аз пък предпочитам с лозови

ahh btw today my mum prepared moussaka and I asked her what mince it's usually used for it and she answered me: pork/beaf.
    Eins.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Zwei..hier kommt die Sonne
    Drei.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

NyLoN_BoY said:

Аз знам пък че се слага кайма, картофи на кубчета и заливка от яйце, но точната технология на правенето на любимата ми мусака не я знам, може би най-накрая ще попитам мама, че да ме осветли в тайната на правенето на мусака :d

6. I'm unstoppable said:

Some recipes from the Bulgarian Cuisine – hors d'oeuvres and starters

Fried eggplants/marrow squashes with yoghurt

I adore that dish especially in summer time ‘cause it’s so refreshing.
    What do you need?: Some eggplants or marrow squashes (or both), yoghurt, fresh chopped up dill, smashed garlic, oil, vinegar, salt.

Making: Wash all the vegetables well under cold water and after that peel them (but if you want, you can leave the peel) and cut them into circles or along the length of the vegetables forming long slices. Start frying the peeled eggplants/ marrow squashes in the deep fryer (or frying pan). When you see that they’re ready, remove them from the boiling oil (the color of the fried vegetables must be golden or light brown). Take a deep plate, put some kitchen paper in it and put the fried vegetables on the paper for several minutes (the oil that is superfluous will be reduced by the kitchen paper and the fried vegetables won’t be so oily). During that action, take a bowl put the yoghurt in it and start whipping using a fork in order to have a mixture without small lumps. Consecutive, add the smashed garlic, the fresh chopped up dill, a pinch of salt, some drops of oil and vinegar and keep whipping for 1 minute. After all these steps, choose a dish but deep one and decorate a flower using the fried slices of eggplants or marrow squashes. Now, spill some of the souse in the center of the flower and decorate with some fresh dill.

Cheese with (olive) oil and red pepper

Most of all it’s used like an appetizer. All you need to do is to slice the cheese in big cubes, sprinkle with the red pepper and some (olive) oil. If you don’t have any cheese, replace it with boiled eggs.

Sandwiches “Asorti”

I like eating most of them for breakfast but they can be used also for starters.

What do you need?: Different kinds of bread, sliced in the shape you want; butter; lutenitsa (it’s a traditional Bulgarian dish made by eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and spices); slices of sausages, salami or smoked meat; Kashkaval or other kind of cheese; tomato/cucumber/carrot/pepper slices; lettuce leaves; olives and what other you want.

Making: Spread the bread with butter and decorate in with different types of vegetable slices. I usually put a lettuce leaf first, after that cucumber slice, salami, tomato slice and some kashkaval. But my best one is with lutenitsa. Spread the bread with butter first and after that with lutenitsa. Crumble some white cheese and decorate with slice of cucumber. Tasty, isn’t it ?

Princesses

Love them!

What do you need?: Slices of bread, some butter; for type 1 - mince meat mixed with spices (pepper, parsley, savory); for type 2 – beaten eggs mixed with crumbled white cheese and pinch of pepper; for type 3 – kashkaval slices.

Making: Spread the butter on the bread slices and after that arrange kashkaval slices or spread spiced mince meat or the egg mixture on the bread and start baking the princesses. Garnish with ketchup and mayonnaise.

Hope that you like them all.
    C'est la vie!

7. I'm unstoppable said:

Coming soon ... main dishes
    C'est la vie!

8. I'm unstoppable said:

Hey guys! Please, if you know more traditional bulgarian salads, desserts or hors d'oeuvres and starters, post them here. Share with us your favourite bulgarian recipes and just enjoy cooking
    C'est la vie!

9. Goran said:

I refuse to believe that any of these dishes exist until you people post some pictures.