The Bulgarian Cuisine

Thread: The Bulgarian Cuisine

Tags: None
  1. I'm unstoppable said:

Default The Bulgarian Cuisine

Hi everyone! I know that somebody propably knows some of our tasty dishes. So , I decided to make a topic only for that - THE BULGARIAN CUISINE. First, I'm posting 13 famous salads from our country. Please, write me here what kind of meals/dishes you want to see. Bon Apeti!
    C'est la vie!

2. I'm unstoppable said:

Some recipes from the Bulgarian Cuisine - Salads

Shopska salad

It’s a typical Bulgarian salad that the most of the foreigners like.

What do you need?: First, fresh vegetables only! – some tomatoes, a cucumber, some peppers, some green onion, white cow cheese (if you’ve been to Bulgaria, you know what kind of cheese I’m talking about), some olives, fresh parsley, salt, vinegar, cooking oil or olive oil.

Making: First wash up the vegetables good and after that you have to clean up the useless stuff (I mean cucumber peel, pepper seeds, tomato stalks and etc.) Then slice the cucumber and the tomatoes into the shape of small cubes (at home, I’m cooking it with cucumber and tomatoes sliced into the shape of half-moon. It’s easier and quicker). Slice the peppers into the shape of normal cubes (not too big and not too small). After that chop up the green onion and the fresh parsley into very small pieces, and mix them with the cucumber, the tomatoes and the peppers (use deep bowls when you serve someone with this salad). When it’s ready, it’s time for spicing the salad with salt, vinegar and cooking/olive oil (in the restaurants, the waiters serve the salads ‘naked’. I mean that they don’t put anything like salt and etc. in the salads because it’s a matter of taste). Then take one grater and grate the white cow cheese lavishly (when the whole bowl is covered with grated cheese. I mean the colour that you have to see is white only). Then put in the middle of the salad one big green or black olive and decorate with parsley leaves. And the Shopska salad is ready for serving.

Shepherd ’s salad

It’s the same like Shopska salad but without peppers, fresh parsley, olives, and white cow cheese. Only – cucumber, tomatoes and green or old onion. The making is the same.

Hunter ‘s salad

It’s like Shopska salad but you also have to add 3 kinds of sausages – ham, salami and smoked meat, and boiled eggs. The sausages and the eggs slice into small cubes.

Green (Spring) salad

I adore that salad. It’s so fresh and tasty. May be, it’s familiar to you.

What do you need?: some lettuces, some green onion, some radishes (red ones), a cucumber,1 or 2 boiled eggs, some olives, fresh parsley (it’s not necessary to put parsley into this salad, it’s a matter of taste), salt, vinegar, cooking or olive oil.

Making: First, slice the lettuces and the green onion into very small pieces (I hope that you know how to slice lettuces.). Then slice also the red radishes and the cucumber into the shape of half-moons (if the radishes are not too big, slice them into the shape of hemispheres). Mix the all these vegetables in a deep bowl. In the middle of the bowl, on the top of the salad, put the sliced boiled eggs into the shape of half-moons (arrange them like a flower with 4). Put some olives around the eggs and it’s ready for serving.

Salad with potatoes and onion

It’s another typical Bulgarian salad. We often use if as a garnish, especially for the grilled meats (I mean barbecue).

What do you need?: some potatoes, fresh parsley or dill (but not the both), green or old onion, some olives.

Making: First, need to peeling and washing up the potatoes. After that you have to boil the potatoes. When they are ready, slice them into small cubes (not too small, like a chocolate bonbon). Chop the green or old onion into small pieces. Do the same with the fresh parsley or the dill. Then, mix everything in a deep bowl. Put some olives above the salad. Spice it to your taste

Salad with potatoes and mayonnaise

It’s like the salad with potatoes and onion but without onion. Instead of fresh parsley, add fresh dill. Also, add some mayonnaise. The making is the same.

Salad with cabbage and carrots

It’s a winter salad. I mean that we often eat it during the winter. I like it.

What do you need?: one cabbage, some carrots, fresh celery, some peeled tomatoes and mayonnaise (the peeled tomatoes and the mayonnaise aren’t necessary. The original recipe is without them but I like it with them ‘cause it’s more delicious with them), salt , a little bit of vinegar and cooking/olive oil (if you put mayonnaise inside of the salad, do not add oil!).

Making: Grate the cabbage and the carrots. Chop the fresh celery and add it to the whole mixture. If you want to add peeled tomatoes and mayonnaise, do it now. Then, spice the salad and put it into deep bowl. It’s ready for serving.

Salad with turnip

It’s so easy for cooking and taste (if you like rakia this salad is a good appetizer)

What do you need?: some turnip (I like the white turnip), some carrots, some olives, salt, vinegar, cooking/olive oil.

Making: Grate the turnip and the carrots. Put everything in a deep bowl. Spice the salad to your taste. Decorate it with olives and parsley leaves.

Salad with baked peppers and onion

It’s a good appetizer, too. It’s very easy for cooking.

What do you need?: some baked peppers, old onion, salt, vinegar, cooking/olive oil.

Making: Clean up the baked peppers and slice them into small pieces (not too small, with normal size). Chop the old onion into the shape of small cubes. Spice the salad as you want and serve it in a dinner plate.

Kiopolu

I don’t like so much that salad but it’s a traditional Bulgarian one.

What do you need?: baked and cleaned up aubergines (the another word for this vegetable is eggplat), pounded up garlic, pounded up walnuts, 2 spoons of yoghurt, some salt, vinegar and cooking oil.

Making: Slice the baked aubergines into very small pieces. Then, add to them the pounded up garlic , the pounded up walnuts and these 2 spoons of yoghurt. Mix everything well. Add some salt, vinegar and cooking oil, then serve the salad in small saucer. Decorate with olives.

Salad with beans

It’s tasty but I don’t like it so much

What do you need?: some boiled beans, boiled carrots, old onion, ketchup, spices

Making: Mix the boiled beans with the ketchup and the scipes. Slice the old onion into the shape of small half-moons (not cubes) and slice the boiled carrot into small cubes. Add to the mixture. Mix well. Serve in small sauser.

Snejanka (‘Snow – Princess’) or Thracian salad

That’s my favorite salad. I just love it.

What do you need?: strained yoghurt (we called it ‘katak’ and that’s very thick yoghurt), a cucumber, fresh dill, olives and walnuts for decoration, salt, a little bit of vinegar, cooking/olive oil.

Making: First, peel the cucumber and slice it into small cube (like the potatoes cubes for “mussaka”). Chop the dill. Add them to the strained yoghurt and start mixing. Put some salt, cooking oil and some drops of vinegar. Serve in deep small bowl. Decorate with olives and walnuts.

Russian salad

I like it so much. I don’t know if it’s really a Russian salad but we know it as like that.

What do you need?: boiled potatoes, boiled carrots, boiled peas or canned peas, boiled eggs, boiled corn or canned corn, boiled mushrooms (the original recipe is without mushrooms), mayonnaise, some ham, salt, a little bit of vinegar (only some drops).

Making: Slice the boiled potatoes, the boiled carrots, the boiled eggs, the boiled mushrooms and the ham into very small cubes. Add the boiled or canned corn and the boiled or canned peas. Put a lot of mayonnaise (may be 2 or 3 boxes), then mix well. Add some salt and vinegar, and mix it again. Put the salad in a deep bowl. Decorate it with dill and olives.

Well, I hope that you’ll like these salads. Trust me, they’re very delicious. If you don’t understand something or if you have some questions – ask me and I’ll answer you. Enjoy yourself with eating these meals. Bon Apeti!
    C'est la vie!

3. I'm unstoppable said:

For us, salads are everything. We cann't sit on the table if there're any salads. we just adore salads.
    C'est la vie!

4. I'm unstoppable said:

I'm thinking of posting some of our desserts and sweet courses - my favorite part. If you want, share with us some delicious meal.
    C'est la vie!

PROPEL said:

those sound very good!!

NyLoN_BoY said:

Kiopolu

I soooooo hate that.

And I know that russians don`t make salad which we know. I don`t know where it`s comming from, but who cares
    Last edited by NyLoN_BoY; 05-03-2009 at 07:19 PM.

lopatka said:

I looooove Kiopolu (with hot bread) Btw, it's Turkish, not Bulgarian ;] And yeah, Russians laugh when they hear that we call our salad Russian :P
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

tedinkyyy said:

I love musaka But I can't cook it and i don't know the recipe
    Eins.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Zwei..hier kommt die Sonne
    Drei.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

9. I'm unstoppable said:

Don't worry! I'm gonna show the recipe for Moussaka/ Mussaka later but first I'm gonna post the sweet courses
    C'est la vie!

10. I'm unstoppable said:

Some recipes from the Bulgarian Cuisine – Sweet courses and desserts

I think that it’ll be the coolest part from our Cuisine for you. I know that everyone likes candies, ice creams, cakes, biscuits. Well, I’m going to show you the most tasteful and the most delicious sweet courses and desserts.

Fruit salad

It’s a refreshing dessert. I know that probably it’s not a BG dish but we have our own recipe.

What do you need?: cherries, watermelon, melon, peaches, apricots, plums/ prunes, oranges/tangerines, strawberries , blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples

Making: Wash up every single fruit as well as it’s possible. Slice bigger fruits into normal cubes (not too big or too small) - watermelon, melon and apples. Slice the peaches, apricots, plums/prunes, oranges/tangerines into the shape of a half-moon. If the strawberries are big, slice them into 2 parts, or if they’re small – do not slice them. Put slices fruits in a deep bowl. Add strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries to the other fruits. Mix everything and pour honey on the top of the salad. It’s ready for eating.

Sweet yoghurt

It’s so easy for cooking. Just take some yoghurt and fresh or frozen fruits, then mix them with the yoghurt and start eating. It’s very healthy. As you know, Bulgaria is the motherland of the yoghurt.

Baked pumpkin with sugar

We cook this meal during the winter especially.

What do you need?: a pumpkin and some sugar

Making: First, peel the pumpkin, and then slice it into normal pieces. Put the sliced pumpkin in large baking tin and powder the pumpkin with sugar. Put the tin in the cooker and bake as long as the pumpkin is ready and the sugar melt into caramel. If you want you can bake the pumpkin with the peel but when you do it by this way, slice it into big pieces.

Dessert with milk and rice

It’s so tasty. I like it so much.

What do you need?: some milk, some water, some rice, sugar, salt, cinnamon, vanilla (the proportion of rice and milk + water is 1:5. I mean if you put 1 cup of rice, then you have to put 5 cups of milk + water)

Making: Mix the water and the milk ( also put pinch of salt, 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla) and put them on the hot-plate. When the mixture start boiling, add the washed rice. When the rice become swelled, and when the rice absorbed the greatest part of the liquid, remove the dessert from the hot-plate and start dishing up it in small bowls or cups. Leave the dessert as long as it becomes cool. Before eating, powder it with pinch of cinnamon.

Ice Cream

My favorite! It’s easy for cooking. Just take frozen fruits, some powdered sugar, and put all these stuff in the kitchen robot. If you want you can add some rum or brandy.

Malebi (It sounds close to Malibu but it’s Malebi)

My region is famous with that sweet course.

What do you need?: milk, sugar, farina (you have to mix it with cold water first), vanilla, fruit syrup

Making: Mix the sugar and the milk and put them on the hot-plate. When it starts boiling, add the farina mixture. Put the vanilla and start stir up it as long as it becomes thick. Then dish it up I small cups/bowls and leave it until the dessert become cold. Before eating add some fruit syrup

Ashure (like “Uh, sure!’ )

I don’t like it so much.

What do you need?: boiled wheat, farina mixed with cold water, sugar, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon

Making: Take 1/3 of the boiled wheat, these 2/3 of the boiled wheat strain them with the water, where you’d boiled the wheat before. When its ready, mix the strained wheat with that 1/3 wheat, cracked walnuts, the sugar, the raisins. Put this mixture under the hot-plate and it starts boiling – add the dissolved farina. After 1-2 minutes it’s ready. Start dishing up the dessert in a small cups/bowls. Eat it cool.

Macaroni (It’s a kind of pasta) with milk and eggs

It’s so tasty.

What do you need?: Macaroni, sugar, water, milk, 3-4 eggs, white cow cheese, cooking oil

Making: First, you have to boil the macaroni with water and pinch of salt. Spread cooking oil on a large baking tin, and then put the boiled macaroni in the oiled tin. Break small white cow cheese and mix well all that stuff. Put the sugar and mix it again. In a deep big bowl, whip the eggs. When the eggs are ready add the milk and beat the whole mixture again. Add the eggs and the milk to the macaroni. Mix everything again and put the dessert in the cooker. Bake until the top of the dessert start becoming light-brown.

Banitsa with pumpkin (Tikvenik)

I just love it.

What do you need?: flour, water, salt, an egg, butter, cooking oil, pumpkin, sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, bread-crumbs, powdered sugar

Making: Grate the pumpkin and mix it with cracked walnuts, the sugar, the bread-crumbs and the cinnamon. Make dough from the flour, water, the egg and the salt. The dough must be stretchy/elastic. Make some balls from that dough. Powder the balls with flour, but before that spread the balls with cooking oil. Leave the balls for a half an hour. Take a rolling-pin, put some flour on the table, take a dough ball, put it on the table, powder it with flour again and start rolling. The dough leaf/list must be so thin so that you can read a newspaper through the dough leaf/list. Leave the ready dough leaves/list for a half an hour, too. Oil a large baking tin and the 2-3 dough leaves/list one on the top of the other (between every single dough leave/list – spread some melted butter). Then start alternating the dough leaves/list, spread with melted butter and the pumpkin mixture (but uniformly). On the top of if put a single dough leaf. Don’t spread it with melted butter but sprinkle it with some cooking oil and start baking. When it’s ready, slice the Tikvenik into small squares and powder them with powdered sugar.

Banitsa with milk (Mlechnik)

It’s another kind of banitsa.

What do you need?:flour, salt, water, butter, milk, sugar, vanilla, 5 eggs

Making: Look at the previous recipe and make the same dough and the same dough leaves/lists. Put them in a large baking tin which is oiled, and then pout them in the cooker for baking (they are ready when become golden). Whip the eggs with 1/3 of the milk. Then mix 2/3 of the milk with the sugar and put the mixture on the hot-plane. When it starts boiling – add the whipped eggs. Don’t stop stirring up the mixture. Aromatize the mixture with vanilla. Keep it some minutes on the fire. Then pour the mixture on the baked leaves/list and put it in the cooker again as long as the milk mixture is corticated with light-brown colour. Then slice the Banica and serve it.

Pancakes (Palachinki)

Our pancakes aren’t like the American ones. They’re thinner than the others. We eat them rolled with jam or chocolate. I like them rolled with strawberry jam and pounded up white cow cheese.

What do you need?: milk, flour, 5 eggs, sugar, pinch of salt, butter, cooking oil, vanilla, jam or chocolate

Making: Start beating up the eggs and the sugar. Don’t stop beating up. Add ˝ of the milk and the whole flour. After some minutes - add the other ˝ of the milk and the pinch of salt. Beat up some minutes. The dough must be thin. In a frying pan, put a little bit of the cooking oil. When the pan becomes hot, still the thin dough with the help of ladle (in the shape of a concentric circle). Bake it as long as the pancake is ready (on all sides). When it’s ready, put it in a dish and spread butter on the all sides of the pancakes. Dispose the pancakes one on top of the other (don’t forget to spread the pancakes with butter). Take one of them, spread a jam or chocolate on it, roll it and eat it.

Baklava

Well, I can not tell you if that dessert is Greek, Turkish or Bulgarian but it’s so amazingly delicious. You can buy it from the shops ready for consummation. But you can cook it at home, too. I can not write the whole recipe here ‘coz it’s so long. If someone wants to know how to cook baklava – write me a message and I’ll scan him/her the recipe.

Kadaif

Well, it’s a Turkish meal but it’s very famous here. It’s like spaghetti. You can buy some kadaif from the shops. The thing that you need to do is do pour some hot milk/hot water and sugar on the top of the kadaif. Then, leave it for some minutes (30 or more. You can see the right time of the bottom of the package). And when it becomes ready – serve it with cracked walnuts and start eating.

Well, it sounds tasty, doesn’t it? Then try to cook some of these amazing desserts at home.Or come to Bulgaria and taste it here. If you have some questions – you know what to do.
    C'est la vie!

11. I'm unstoppable said:

The next recipes will be about hors d'oeuvres and starters.
    C'est la vie!

tedinkyyy said:

Malebi is actually a traditional sweet dish from my hometown Svilengrad
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

NyLoN_BoY said:

Quote Originally Posted by tedinkyyy View Post
    Malebi is actually a traditional sweet dish from my hometown Svilengrad
    Yes, and the best Malebi can only be made there, no matter how good is the cook. I think that geography is in the picture

14. lucia9 said:

Banitsa is great! i love it!! and i am going to buy some sirene to a bulgarian magasine to TRY to do it this weekend!!:P
    Could you also post how to do mekitsi or something like that?
    What i know about bulgarian food is that they do a lot of soups, like tarator fro instance, is that right?
    Keep on writing this post!! =)))
    ["Comment veux-tu qu'la terre tourne ŕ l'endroit si nos cerveaux marchent ŕ l'envers man?"]ˇˇ

NyLoN_BoY said:

I`ll ask my mom bout the mekitsi and post it here Yes, we have many soups, but I`ll let the women to post the recepies, couse cooking isn`t my stuff

Bolonka said:

I know that a lot of BG dishes are made or go together with sour milk, which is the best?
    Be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it!!!!

crazytofik said:

I love kebabchi Tarator is also good but it's something new for me. I'd like to try chushki
    София, Пловдив, Варна, Бургас, чалга до дупка - купона е при нас.

tedinkyyy said:

Само че "кебапчИ" ще кажат точно в нашия регион.Казва се "кебапче" :d
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

19. I'm unstoppable said:

Here the recipe

Mekici

What do you need? : 2 eggs, yoghurt (more than a half of a jar), 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), flour as much as it takes, cooking oil for frying

Making: Whip the eggs, and then add the yoghurt and the salt to them. Mix the baking soda and the flour, and then sift the flour with the help of a bolter. When that action is done, make a “crater” in the flour and pour the egg mixture out the “crater” and start making dough. The dough must be soft (but not too soft or too diluted). Leave the dough for 30-40 minutes. Then make balls from the dough and start stretching the balls one by one as long as they take on the shape of normal circles. Then put this circles in a boiling cooking oil (use a frying pan). Fry the Mekici on the all sides until they become golden. You can eat them with jam or powdered with sugar.

I hope that’s what you wanted

20. I'm unstoppable said:

that 'sour milk' is called yoghurt (on BG it's called 'sour milk' - кисело мляко. But It's known as yoghurt by the others)
    C'est la vie!