Ellerin vatanı bana yurt oldu annem yurt oldu

Mezarımı kazın bayıra düze annem vay düze
    Yönünü çevirin sıladan yüze annem vay yüze
    Yönünü çevirin sıladan yüze annem vay yüze
    Benden selam olsun sevdiğim kıza annem vay kıza
    Başına koyular karalar bağlasın annem bağlasın
    Gurbet elde kaldım diye ağlasın annem ağlasın

2. revo said:

no one so far? please try to translate it, i know i am asking much but it means a lot to me

3. omero said:

I find it a bit difficult to translate, but I found a story about it:

Hastane Önünde İncir Ağacı

A young boy and the neighbour's daughter were promised to each other when they were still children. While serving as a soldier, the adolescent was caught by tuberculosis. For a change of air he comes to Yozgat. The family of the promised girl does not want to show their daughter to the young man. For further treatment, the young man is brought to a hospital in İstanbul, and starts to sing this song, while looking out of the window and seeing the fig tree. He can not be saved, and dies in that hospital. The family is not able to bring him back to Yozgat, he is burried in İstanbul.

Hastane önünde incir ağacı annem ağacı / In front of the hospital a fig tree, mother, a fig tree

Doktor bulamadı bana ilacı annem ilacı / The doctor wasn't able to find the medecine, mother, the medicine

Doktor bulamadı bana ilacı annem ilacı / The doctor wasn't able to find the medicine, mother, the medicine

Baştabip geliyor zehirden acı annem acı / The head doctor is coming, its bitterer than poison, mother, bitterer than poison

Garip kaldım yüreğime dert oldu annem dert oldu / I became deplorable, this hurts my heart, mother, hurts my heart

Ellerin vatanı bana yurt oldu annem yurt oldu / The motherland of the hands has become my home, mother, my home

Mezarımı kazın bayıra düze annem vay düze / Dig my grave at the hillside, mother, at the hillside

Yönünü çevirin sıladan yüze annem vay yüze / Turn its direction away from "sıla" (desired, and longed for place called home), to the face, mother, to the face

Yönünü çevirin sıladan yüze annem vay yüze / Turn its direction away from "sıla" to the face, mother, to the face

Benden selam olsun sevdiğim kıza annem vay kıza / Let it be a greeting from me to my beloved girl, mother, to the girl

Başına koyular karalar bağlasın annem bağlasın / She shall bind dark and black (colours) around her head, mother, shall bind

Gurbet elde kaldım diye ağlasın annem ağlasın / She shall cry for was left in the hands of abroad, mother, shall cry

Sorry.... but it is really difficult, as many of the words here have so many different meanings.

For example el can mean: hand, forreigner, people, country... therefore I'm not sure what is really meant by "ellerin vatanı"...

Don't trust my translation too much, because, me too, I'm very confused and unhappy with it.

Maybe it's enough to give just an idea. :-/, but someone who is more familiar with such lyrics can give furhter help

4. revo said:

thank you dear! i know that this one was hard to translate but you helped me to understand it in a way. also the story you found helps to make a sense i'm glad you made it!