Thanking people...

Thread: Thanking people...

Tags: None
  1. webmaster said:

Quote Originally Posted by geomac View Post
    hey guys, please help me! I would like to ,,thank you" for some users into a thread but, surprisingly, it was no ,,thank you" button for that users although the button existed for other users in the same thread !?
    The ,,thank you" points collected untill now for that users are only ,,0/1 times" (obviously,the points are not stuffed for a day long) so I don't see the reason for that users for not being able to get ,,thank you"

Here is the Link
    Cosmonaut was right, the reason is an age of a post. Before we didn't have such limitation, that is why Citlalli thanked somebody for a post in 2007.

Now we can say "thank you" for posts that are no more than 30 days old.

geomac said:

Thank you so much for the explanation, dm

Still I wish we could reward in some way those who helped us into the past...

istanbulgal said:

Quote Originally Posted by muge View Post
    I really really miss the old rep system, the notes were super cute. if the rep system changed coz of the people who dont really translate some things but have higher reputations, i think its meaningless, in the end this is only a website, why d people care bout their reputation, it gives u nothing. so i think its a bit meaningless if this is the reason. and i really missed my notes, god
    I agree, except this new system has made some people more helpful, so it's good for that reason muge-mou.

I think there is something wrong because I have not been around that much, so I have no idea who has been thanking me nor for what!
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

4. webmaster said:

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    so I have no idea who has been thanking me nor for what!
    1) Please go to your profile.
    2) In the "Forum Info" block you may see the "Thanks" sub-block.
    3) There are 2 links "Find all thanked posts by istanbulgal" and "Find all posts thanked by istanbulgal"

5. webmaster said:

Quote Originally Posted by geomac View Post
    Still I wish we could reward in some way those who helped us into the past...
    Thanking for old posts is a potential room for fraud... The Past is into the past, lets live today?..

istanbulgal said:

Thanks for the response dm.

With respect to the 'fraud' comment, I'm often away from the forum for days and weeks at a time and a lot of times I do refer to old posts, so no, I would not exactly say thanking old posts to be fraudulent; if I read a post/translation that is a year old, but I have only seen it today, it is new to me.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

7. webmaster said:

OK, now expiration is disabled.

geomac said:

thanks, dm

I don't think people who are on this forum have in their minds the goal of cheating... or to play unfairly...

I have to tell you that I used only few times to thank into the past for those who helped me but just once for each one, as a consideration to their help(we don't have reputation system anymore).

Several days ago I wished to thank for 2 users who made a translation on a thread from 2007 (now updated) ,without even noticed that the thread was from 2007!

@istanbulgal thank you so much for your support, my friend
    Last edited by geomac; 07-03-2009 at 01:32 PM.

chiQ said:

This is a request/suggestion for the administrators. All the people who have been helpful and kind to me have done so in the lyrics review forum, and yet there's no way for me to thank them in there. I'd like to be able to do this, and have a backlog of thank yous in there. Would it be possible to have the Thank You button enabled in that forum, please?

BleakHeart said:

Quote Originally Posted by dm View Post
    1) Please go to your profile.
    2) In the "Forum Info" block you may see the "Thanks" sub-block.
    3) There are 2 links "Find all thanked posts by istanbulgal" and "Find all posts thanked by istanbulgal"
    Good morning,

Unless if I have got it wrong, this method is not always helpful.

For example, in the morning today I had 55 thanks in 27 posts, while a few minutes ago I noticed I had 57 in 28 posts. Through the prementioned method, I found the 28th post, which however contained only one thanks. So, in order to find where the second thanks was submitted, I have to search manually all other 27 posts seperately... This is not very practical.

Perhaps, if it is not too much trouble, some sort of notification system should be developed.

Also (this is a general remark) I have noticed that some members thank me on some occasions I just answer to some grammatical or lexicogrpahical questions. Although this is very kind on their behalf, it somehow makes me feel bad, because it's really no big deal for me to translate a simple phrase for instance. I wouldn't like it to appear as if I answer just to receive thanks.

Best regards,

Alexander.
    "I have fear for nothing and I have hope for nothing, I am, therefore, free."

Nikos Kazantzakis

Spring said:

Quote Originally Posted by BleakHeart View Post
    Good morning,

Unless if I have got it wrong, this method is not always helpful.

For example, in the morning today I had 55 thanks in 27 posts, while a few minutes ago I noticed I had 57 in 28 posts. Through the prementioned method, I found the 28th post, which however contained only one thanks. So, in order to find where the second thanks was submitted, I have to search manually all other 27 posts seperately... This is not very practical.

Perhaps, if it is not too much trouble, some sort of notification system should be developed.

Also (this is a general remark) I have noticed that some members thank me on some occasions I just answer to some grammatical or lexicogrpahical questions. Although this is very kind on their behalf, it somehow makes me feel bad, because it's really no big deal for me to translate a simple phrase for instance. I wouldn't like it to appear as if I answer just to receive thanks.

Best regards,

Alexander.
    Well, BleakHeart, I think it is perfectly ok that you receive thanks for helping others in any way (no matter how big or small) and personally, I'd thank you for this post as well!
    But I absolutely agree about not being able to see for which posts we got multiple thanks though I think it is not possible to add an option which would enable a different view (but of course admins will tell you if I am right)

Dreams~ said:

I wasn't here when the old reputation system was in place, but I like the current system. It seems to work out fine as long as people refrain from thanking others for no reason (and I like that it's only enabled in certain forums).

But a thought came to mind when I was reading through this thread... would it be possible to incorporate visitor messages? If people like leaving little messages for one another, PMs are okay, but it's even more fun to have a little wall of posts on your profile.

Like, here's an example of what I mean. It makes your profile more like a myspace or facebook page, and I think people enjoy that public interaction. It's kind of like having your own guestbook, I guess.

Personally, I dislike rep systems on forums. They have one on the Anipike where you could just add positive or negative points to other people's repuation, and it was constantly abused. People were giving me negatives just for having a different opinion, while the mods had theirs maxed out with positive. Luckily, you could disable your rep entirely.
    lumekuninganna.com
    lyricstranslate.com/en/translator/lumekuninganna

13. PlainChaos said:

So what happened to the thank yous, it's not displayed under people's avatars anymore

tigress_tim said:

hahah.. don't bother tugba
    everything that is good around here.. disappears so fast
    and nobody tells us why .. or when..
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

Spring said:

Come on tigress.... That's rather harsh...

You can still see the Thanks count on everybody's profiles

tigress_tim said:

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Come on tigress.... That's rather harsh...

You can still see the Thanks count on everybody's profiles
    yea i know
    i was just supporting plainchaos's post
    and besides.. don't u people know I was just joking ?
    u should all know it by now
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

17. jeez said:

Quote Originally Posted by PlainChaos View Post
    So what happened to the thank yous, it's not displayed under people's avatars anymore
    It has been fixed, thanks for reporting