Thanking people...

Thread: Thanking people...

Tags: None

damarys said:

Default Thanking people...

So, now that the "reputation" system has been disabled, I noticed that there is this new system for thanking others. I know this took a lot of effort and thought on the part of the administrators.

Question.... how does it work? How do I publically thank people for a good deed on this forum? Do I just post a message? Will it be anything like the reputation system where we click to thank?

------------------

Never mind.... I figured it out. But now I can't delete this message. Ugh! I'm having technical difficulties in my own mind!
    Last edited by damarys; 06-06-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: found the answer.....

Zahra2008 said:

ahaha, well since you figured it out... the only thing to say is that:

you only have "5 thank you" per day... so use 'em wisely

the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    ahaha, well since you figured it out... the only thing to say is that:

you only have "5 thank you" per day... so use 'em wisely

Thanks for the information!!!!
    It looks like you can only thank people in certain threads, but not in others. Is that correct?

Steena said:

Yes, the "Thank You" system is only active on the translation boards, and songs board
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

citlalli said:

I had problems trying to use this new system: I clicked only once on the button, but it would appear as a double "thank you"

Mmhhh, after what happened with the reputation system and its being abused in my opinion... wouldn't it be better to leave the "thanks" anonymous, so that people don't start thanking each other just in return...
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

tedinkyyy said:

I have a question: will that "thanking" replace the old reputation system forever?
    Eins.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Zwei..hier kommt die Sonne
    Drei.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

7. PlainChaos said:

We can't escape the fact that this new system will get misused too, people will find a way, like citlalli said they'll e.g. just start thanking each other in return. The rep system was way better, I think the short messages were a sweet way to drop by and say hello to each other. I'll miss it.. but w/e guess we just have to get used to the new system *sigh* ..

tigress_tim said:

This is not good ! I personally don't like it. If u go to other forums, u find this "thank you" system also...and it's not ethical, it's kinda copy make as other makes it, so where is the originality..??
    Why don't u dear administrators put back the reputation system?
    It was much much better....
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

El raisa said:

The possitive thing about this new system that members who usualy need help can vote , they do not have to be over 20 reputation points to do that (right ?).
    To be honest , I am not a very active translator , I used to have a very high reputaion in the forum while there were more active translators in the forum who had less reputation than mine and they deserved more , because after all this is the purpose of this forum , so I got your point .

still , I think that the small messages that were with the reputaion system was a nice thing ! , so I miss it
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    — Albert Einstein

tedinkyyy said:

Yep I also miss my nice comments of before the system was blocked... really miss all the stuff...I was last "jewel in the rough" haha...
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

damarys said:

So, how do we find out who thanked us for what?

12. PlainChaos said:

This was written in the reputation thread: "We are so sorry, but reputation system is disabled now because of technical reasons". Excuse me, but I thought the administration was gonna fix it, not make a brand new system ...

Hey damarys! On your page (public profile) there's something called Thanks (just below the referrals) there you just click Find all thanked posts by damarys and you'll see who thanked you for what

tedinkyyy said:

I see it even written at the end of the comment thanked by....... and the time it happened
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

chameleon said:

i have to agree with citlalli and El raisa
    i used to like the rep when i frist came here it gave me a buzz when i got some for helping people it made you feel like helping more to
    but no more it went wild and you just got it for silly things

i like wot the admins have done, even if i dont help here now
    i just hope it will stay as helping and note eles

i better go now befor i put my foot in even more byeeeeee.

oh a ps to admins
    can you do the same with the user names ?
    i mean one user name per ip addy ????

from your pain in the *** helen/rose
    When the world is on your shoulder Gotta straighten up your act and boogie down" lol

Zahra2008 said:

the reputation system ended up being used just to say "hello, how are you? happy birthday? whats up?.... "...

and members who only was "players" on the game threads had highest reputation than those who actually help others, and being the site of "lyrics and translations" I think that was a little unfair....
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

damarys said:

Zahra.... that does make sense. It will take a while getting used to the new system. I do miss the little notes. I wish there was some way to do that without having to send a private message.

I wish I could Thank you for this information here on this thread.... but I can't! Bummer! My sincerest gratitude!

I have noticed that the the Christian community (which requires people helping each other to find music, lyrics and do translations) does not have the "thanks" option. Was this just an oversight? Just wondering.

Orwa said:

@Zahrita dear and others, this thanks system isn't as nice as the rep points, and i am soooooo sure most of active members would agree with me.., so, why they don't keep the two??????
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

citlalli said:

I agree with Chams & Zahra. It came the point when the rep system got out of control and it became unfair and unrepresentative; thus the incentive for helping really got lost.

I don't mind the new system even if it's used in other forums as well. And as Elraisa said, it's a good thing that new members asking for help have a chance to show their gratitude.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

geomac said:

@Orwa , El Raisa I agree with you - they should keep both thanks and reputation systems; 'cause one helps a lot with translation for example and then must be honored with ,,thank you" and another ones are working on posting music or sharing lyrics to each another so helping all in finding or enjoying music or lyrics... so must be honored with let's say ,,reputation" points... (and yes, it was a nice thing those short messages, El raisa )

@citlalli I agree with you, also - indeed, the rep. system got out of control and it was unfair for those who were working a lot in translation section; I have an example: on greek translation thread , besides maria , there's a very frequent and very helping translator called boubou; I was equalizing him in rep. points and I thought it was unfair 'cause he helped much more then me (I made only a few greek lyrics transl). So it was the time for a change...

Have a nice day!

chameleon said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    the reputation system ended up being used just to say "hello, how are you? happy birthday? whats up?.... "...

and members who only was "players" on the game threads had highest reputation than those who actually help others, and being the site of "lyrics and translations" I think that was a little unfair....
    @ zahra
    i agree with you here zahra,
    there was only two people who gave me rep for helping and all the rest was just what you said i also replyed back with rep on some
    i dint get any for all the work ive done on some post which i am still working on
    it wasnt ofton i gave out any rep only one or two (as people already know that by now ) dose anybody remember no tx but just a little in the box ???
    most went to the mod's and the song's wirters

@geomac
    i disagree with you here about haveing the two i dont see the point in doing that when you can use pm thats whats it for if you dont wont people to see what you think, but better still do it out in the open and let every body know what you think, theres know shame in that is there ?????

@Orwa
    give this thanks thing a chance to see if it works

i better get of my soap box now before i upset anybody
    When the world is on your shoulder Gotta straighten up your act and boogie down" lol