Learning French language

Thread: Learning French language

Tags: None

WannaBFluent said:

i guess you translated Je te dois, toujours from I owe you, forever or something like that, right?
    but if you just say Je te dois in french, it's a bit strange lol, because all the people will ask you "owe WHAT?!".
    it's like when you say to a british that you are better, he will (for sure) ask you "better THAN WHAT?!"

so i think you have to add tout (everything).
    Je te dois tout

l'averse de l'étoile ==> l'averse étoilée (sounds better)

For a poetical correction, I let it to WannaBFluent, he does it so well…
    i did the last one, now it's your turn
    العربية (arabic) // বাংলা (bengali) // हिन्दी (hindi) // kurmancî (kurdish) // فارسی (farsi)
    ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (punjabi) // soomaali (somali) // தமிழ் (tamil) // türkçe (turkish) // اُردو (urdu)

Enoo said:

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBFluent View Post
    i guess you translated Je te dois, toujours from I owe you, forever or something like that, right?
    but if you just say Je te dois in french, it's a bit strange lol, because all the people will ask you "owe WHAT?!".
    it's like when you say to a british that you are better, he will (for sure) ask you "better THAN WHAT?!"

Je te dois tout
    Absolutely, "devoir quelque chose à quelqu'un" is a transitive verb so you have to add a complement: je te dois tant, je te dois beaucoup, je te dois tout or use sth else, like être redevable."Redevable" has a concrete meaning to me (money, favour, etc), but I can't find the right thing to say, I think it depends on the context.

Je te dois, toujours
    Je te suis redevable, toujours
    or
    Je te dois toujours tout/tant/tellement

Est-ce que c'est possible d'être sans toi?
    Instead of "d'être sans toi", you can say "de rester sans toi" or "d'exister sans toi". It sounds better to me.

Comme la nuit qui doit lendemain matin
    Comme la nuit est suspendue au (lendemain) matin (as the night is hung upon the morning)

Comme la seule vague froide qui doit le beau regard de la mer
    I'm not very sure about the sense, what about sth like this:
    Comme la vague froide et isolée qui doit à la mer sa belle apparence
    As the cold and lonely wave owes the sea its beautiful look
    (it's just an assumption)

Comme la terre froide et assoiffée qui doit les caresses de lapluie
    qui dépend (that depends) des caresses de la pluie
    qui attend (that expects) les caresses de la pluie

Quand la pluie do ton regard pleure sur la nuit soyeuse
    or quand la pluie de ton regard se déverse sur la nuit soyeuse (a person cries but rain pours right?)

Si tu ne sois pas un fin pour mes larmes et fatigues
    Si tu ne mets pas fin à (If you don't put an end to...) mes larmes et mes fatigues
    Comment je reviens de ces interminable routes
    Comment reviendrai-je (How will I come back...?) de ces interminables routes?

It's just a little change of style but if you don't like you can skip it, with Hannibal's corrections it's perfectly understandable and correct.

Tu es le dieu d'amants, je te dois toujours
    Tu es le dieu des amants (if the poet is a man, it would probably be "tu es la déesse des amantes")

Quand je dis to nom , il rafraichit le battement du moment
    "dis" is correct, but as he sees the other as a god,"prononcer" makes it more theatrical, like a ritual
    il ralentit le battement du moment/il ralentit (slows down/cools down) le rythme de l'instant présent (rafraîchir means that the temperature decreases )

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal77 View Post
    For a poetical correction, I let it to WannaBFluent, he does it so well… but here are a few commentaries :

- Est-ce que c'est possible d'être sans toi? -> Est-ce possible d'être sans toi ? (more beautiful, and you have the right to do that)

- Comment je peux libérer de la nuit qui est devant moi, sans toi? -> Comment puis-je… (more beautiful)

- Moi, qui est fatigué et sans âme -> Moi qui suis fatigué et sans âme ("Moi qui est" is wrong, but this is a mistake that even some francophones do ! Moi qui suis, toi qui es, lui/elle qui est, nous qui sommes, vous qui êtes, eux/elles qui sont)

- Je te rejoinds sous l'averse de l'étoile -> Je te rejoins…

- Quand la pluie de ton regard pleure sur la nuit soyeuse

- Si tu ne sois pas une fin pour mes larmes et [mes]fatigues -> Si tu n'es pas… (SI + indicatif, not SI + subjonctif)

- Tu es le dieu d'amants, je te dois toujours -> (Here I don't understand what you mean by "tu es le dieu d'amants), please explain it in english maybe, then I can help you)

- Quand je dis ton nom , il rafraichit le battement du moment -> rafraîchit, but to be honest, I think this is not an obligation anymore to put this accent here since the orthographical reform in the 1990s
    Oh la la, I guess one of my best mistakes was "moi qui est", I never thought that it could be wrong!!!But I'm so glad I made such a mistake otherwise I never found out the right fromthank you so much....
    In Persian after "si" we use subjunctive so I thought maybe in French it is the same...LOL
    Actually he has sung this song for God, and in this part when he says "Tu es le dieu d'amants", I wanted to say " you are the God of lovers" or you are the God of people who are in love"...or something like that....
    and in this sentence "il rafraichit le battement du moment" I wanted to say "When I say your name , it refreshes the pulse of moment"...does "rafraîchir" mean "refresh" in here....???

pinky_girl said:

Je te dois tout

l'averse de l'étoile ==> l'averse étoilée (sounds better)

i did the last one, now it's your turn
    Yeah , that's totally right...I meant "I owe you always"
    Oh ok, so u gotta make clear why you owe someone
    thanks<3<3

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by Enoo View Post
    Absolutely, "devoir quelque chose à quelqu'un" is a transitive verb so you have to add a complement: je te dois tant, je te dois beaucoup, je te dois tout or use sth else, like être redevable."Redevable" has a concrete meaning to me (money, favour, etc), but I can't find the right thing to say, I think it depends on the context.

Je te dois, toujours
    Je te suis redevable, toujours
    or
    Je te dois toujours tout/tant/tellement

Est-ce que c'est possible d'être sans toi?
    Instead of "d'être sans toi", you can say "de rester sans toi" or "d'exister sans toi". It sounds better to me.

Comme la nuit qui doit lendemain matin
    Comme la nuit est suspendue au (lendemain) matin (as the night is hung upon the morning)

Comme la seule vague froide qui doit le beau regard de la mer
    I'm not very sure about the sense, what about sth like this:
    Comme la vague froide et isolée qui doit à la mer sa belle apparence
    As the cold and lonely wave owes the sea its beautiful look
    (it's just an assumption)

Comme la terre froide et assoiffée qui doit les caresses de lapluie
    qui dépend (that depends) des caresses de la pluie
    qui attend (that expects) les caresses de la pluie

Quand la pluie do ton regard pleure sur la nuit soyeuse
    or quand la pluie de ton regard se déverse sur la nuit soyeuse (a person cries but rain pours right?)

Si tu ne sois pas un fin pour mes larmes et fatigues
    Si tu ne mets pas fin à (If you don't put an end to...) mes larmes et mes fatigues
    Comment je reviens de ces interminable routes
    Comment reviendrai-je (How will I come back...?) de ces interminables routes?

It's just a little change of style but if you don't like you can skip it, with Hannibal's corrections it's perfectly understandable and correct.

Tu es le dieu d'amants, je te dois toujours
    Tu es le dieu des amants (if the poet is a man, it would probably be "tu es la déesse des amantes")

Quand je dis to nom , il rafraichit le battement du moment
    "dis" is correct, but as he sees the other as a god,"prononcer" makes it more theatrical, like a ritual
    il ralentit le battement du moment/il ralentit (slows down/cools down) le rythme de l'instant présent (rafraîchir means that the temperature decreases )

Oh I loved your corrections very much, specially these ones "Comme la nuit est suspendue au (lendemain) matin/ Comme la vague froide et isolée qui doit à la mer sa belle apparenceare/qui dépend (that depends) des caresses de la pluie".... They are exactly the ones that I was trying to say but it was like I couldn't find the right words for saying them....thank u so much....<3<3<3

pinky_girl said:

You guys are so fast...I didn't expect you to reply so soon, but you surprised me
    All of you did a great job and I appreciate that very very much.....
    Thanks a million , Merci mille fois , ye donya mamnoon

WannaBFluent said:

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    You guys are so fast...I didn't expect you to reply so soon, but you surprised me
    All of you did a great job and I appreciate that very very much.....
    Thanks a million , Merci mille fois , ye donya mamnoon
    the early bird catches the worm! lol. i just wanted to know, where do you come from? Iran? do you speak persian? maybe kurdish (i wanna learn kurdish)? what's your native language?
    العربية (arabic) // বাংলা (bengali) // हिन्दी (hindi) // kurmancî (kurdish) // فارسی (farsi)
    ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (punjabi) // soomaali (somali) // தமிழ் (tamil) // türkçe (turkish) // اُردو (urdu)

8. hannibal77 said:

Khahesh mikonam, pinky girl. Fekr konam ke shab hasti haha.

pinky_girl said:

the early bird catches the worm! lol. i just wanted to know, where do you come from? Iran? do you speak persian? maybe kurdish (i wanna learn kurdish)? what's your native language?
    LOLI come from Iran and I speak Persian(Farsi)

pinky_girl said:

Khahesh mikonam, pinky girl. Fekr konam ke shab hasti haha.
    You mean "shad'???(glad/happy) yeah I'm totally happy And If you mean "shab"(night)...here is 9 A.M right now

11. hannibal77 said:

Euh oups… bale bale, shad baashi, va shab beh kheir agar dar shab minevisi.

pinky_girl said:

Euh oups… bale bale, shad baashi, va shab beh kheir agar dar shab minevisi.
    yeah now you said it rightI think the difference between Iran's time and France time is 2 :30 hours...now here is 5:30 P.M and in France it should be 3 P.M

WannaBFluent said:

so you don't speak Kurdish? but Kurdish looks like Farsi, isn't it?

Enoo said:

Actually he has sung this song for God, and in this part when he says "Tu es le dieu d'amants", I wanted to say " you are the God of lovers" or you are the God of people who are in love"...or something like that....
    Oh okay I misunderstood it a little then. You can say "Tu es le Dieu des amants" or "Tu es le Dieu des gens qui s'aiment" (you are the God of people who love each other).

and in this sentence "il rafraichit le battement du moment" I wanted to say "When I say your name , it refreshes the pulse of moment"...does "rafraîchir" mean "refresh" in here....???
    "To refresh the pulse" → "Raviver (to revive) les battements" / "redonner un pouls" (the second one is more medical) but they're used when speaking of a heart. Speaking of a moment, it would be a little weird. Maybe something like "il ravive/il redonne vie à l'instant présent" would fit.

Oh I loved your corrections very much, specially these ones "Comme la nuit est suspendue au (lendemain) matin/ Comme la vague froide et isolée qui doit à la mer sa belle apparenceare/qui dépend (that depends) des caresses de la pluie".... They are exactly the ones that I was trying to say but it was like I couldn't find the right words for saying them....thank u so much....<3<3<3
    You're welcome, my dear! I'm so glad you liked them!!

pinky_girl said:

so you don't speak Kurdish? but Kurdish looks like Farsi, isn't it?
    No I don't...and Kurdish is way too different from Persian..I had a friend who spoke Kurdi and I coulnd't understand what she said...maybe some of the words are similar to Persian but the rest is different...

pinky_girl said:

Thanks dear Enoo, you did a great job<3<3<3<3

Enoo said:

All these hearts made me blush, dooste man

Enoo said:

How to express a condition in French:

In the present:
    Si + Imperfect + Present conditional:
    Si je le voyais, je te le dirais. (If I saw it, I would tell you)
    Ø + Present conditional + Present conditional:
    Je le verrais, je te le dirais. (same meaning)

In the past:

- the most used:

Si + Pluperfect + Past conditional, 1st form:
    Si je l'avais vu, je te l'aurais dit. (If I had seen it, I wouldhave told you)
    Ø + Past conditional, 1st form + Past conditional, 1stform
    Je l'aurais vu, je te l'aurais dit. (same meaning)

- rarely used and only in books (or when speaking, just for bragging ):
    Si + Past anterior + Past conditional, 2nd form:
    Si je l'eus vu, je te l'eusse dit. (same meaning)

A website for French conjugations: http://leconjugueur.lefigaro.fr/ (enter the verb and click on "conjuguer")

WannaBFluent said:

Si je l'eus vu, je te l'eusse dit.
    This will always make me laugh!

pinky_girl said:

How to express a condition in French:

In the present:
    Si + Imperfect + Present conditional:
    Si je le voyais, je te le dirais. (If I saw it, I would tell you)
    Ø + Present conditional + Present conditional:
    Je le verrais, je te le dirais. (same meaning)

In the past:

- the most used:

Si + Pluperfect + Past conditional, 1st form:
    Si je l'avais vu, je te l'aurais dit. (If I had seen it, I wouldhave told you)
    Ø + Past conditional, 1st form + Past conditional, 1stform
    Je l'aurais vu, je te l'aurais dit. (same meaning)

- rarely used and only in books (or when speaking, just for bragging ):
    Si + Past anterior + Past conditional, 2nd form:
    Si je l'eus vu, je te l'eusse dit. (same meaning)

A website for French conjugations: http://leconjugueur.lefigaro.fr/ (enter the verb and click on "conjuguer")
    Whooooa...c'est vraiment difficile Je dois travailler beaucoup à l'apprendre
    Mais merci mon chèr Enoo