Learning French language

Thread: Learning French language

Tags: None

WannaBFluent said:

it'd be cool, i really want to learn arabic! i would like to read the Qu'ran in arabic
    العربية (arabic) // বাংলা (bengali) // हिन्दी (hindi) // kurmancî (kurdish) // فارسی (farsi)
    ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (punjabi) // soomaali (somali) // தமிழ் (tamil) // türkçe (turkish) // اُردو (urdu)

pinky_girl said:

Well I'm here again with a new translation of a song This song was really challenging for me and I hope you don't find too many errors in it JUST KIDDING...feel free to find as many as you want

La torture

Torture-moi , dis qui je suis sans toi.

Regarde-moi que je suis satisfait d'une seule torture de toi

Tu ne diminues pas l'attaque de ton amour

Torture-moi , toi , qui ne me sauve pas

Mon coeur est heureux à cote de ton sentiment

Ce sentiment va me tuer une nuit

Les armes de mes nuits c'est à cause de ça

tous mes jours sont comme ça

Ton nom est devenue le reste de moi

Il est devenue comme la respiration

Le sentiment de parler de toi'

Les larmes de ma chaque nuit

Ton sentiment entoure mon corps la nuit

Jusqu'à quand je dois vaporiser ton parfum dans ma chambre

Comme toi , mon corps s'occuper de ta peine

Comme toi, je remplis d'etre vide chaque nuit

Enoo said:

Here's my review of the song. As your French is great, there are only a very few "errors". Mainly I made some corrections about the style but I'm not sure I'm not making up a new sense sometimes... So, just tell me if I got it wrong and changed the meaning so we can see how to make something closer to the original song.

La torture

Torture-moi , dis qui je suis sans toi.
    dis-moi qui je suis sans toi

Regarde-moi que je suis satisfait d'une seule torture de toi
    Regarde-moi me satisfaire d'une seule de tes tortures
    this sentence includes an occurring action, something happening right now under the other one's eyes, if you want to insist on a repeated observation or a generality you can say:
    Regarde-moi, je me satisfais d'une seule de tes tortures

Tu ne diminues pas l'attaque de ton amour
    Tu ne réduits pas les assauts (the assaults) de ton amour (more poetic)

Torture-moi , toi , qui ne me sauve pas
    Torture-moi, toi qui ne me sauves pas (the verb « sauver » agrees with « toi », 2nd person singular)

Mon coeur est heureux à cote de ton sentiment
    Mon cœur est heureux aux côtés de tes sentiments
    un sentiment: a opinion, an impression
    des sentiments: refers to the emotion = feelings

Ce sentiment va me tuer une nuit
    Une nuit, ces sentiments vont me tuer
    or
    Ces sentiments vont me tuer une de ces nuits

Les armes de mes nuits c'est à cause de ça
    Les armes de mes nuits sont à cause de ça/cela/ceux-ci (cela and ceux-ci are more elegant than ça )
    C'est pour cela que j'arme mes nuits (more poetic)

tous mes jours sont comme ça
    Tous mes jours sont ainsi

Ton nom est devenue le reste de moi
    devenu/devenue = masculine/feminine past participle. « nom » is masculine: ton nom est devenu
    but i must admit the sense of the sentence remains obscure to me...

Il est devenue comme la respiration
    Il est devenu comme respirer
    la respiration = the process of breathing (for example when you study it)
    comme respirer means it's like fresh air, it's invigorating

Le sentiment de parler de toi
    Same here about sentiment, I'm not very sure about the sense, but le sentiment de parler de toi means the impression that I'm talking about you, i.e. I'm not sure that I'm talking about you. If it's about the feelings experienced by the narrator when he/she talks about the other one, you can say:
    Cette sensation lorsque je parle de toi

Les larmes de ma chaque nuit
    Les larmes de chacune de mes nuits

Ton sentiment entoure mon corps la nuit
    La nuit, tes sentiments entourent mon corps (it's clearer )

Jusqu'à quand je dois vaporiser ton parfum dans ma chambre
    Is it a question? In that caseJusqu'à quand devrai-je (futur) vaporiser...? (How long should I...?)
    Otherly:
    Jusqu'à devoir vaporiser ton parfum → To the extend I have spray your perfume
    or
    Jusqu'au moment où je dois vaporiser → Untill the moment I have to spray your perfume

Comme toi , mon corps s'occuper de ta peine
    Comme toi, mon corps se préoccupe (is concerned about) de ta peine

Comme toi, je remplis d'etre vide chaque nuit
    Comme toi, chaque nuit, je me remplis d'être vide (I fill up with being empty?) Is it in the sense: I fill my life by being/feeling empty?

pinky_girl said:

Wow merci mille fois mon ami...you're explanation about the details is so good specially about the word "sentiment and sentiments"...I didn't know that they could have different meaning AND YOU ARE AMAZING IN TURNING A VERY PLAIN LYRIC TO A REAL POEM BRAVO....
    I can totally feel the difference when you add some poetic touch
    the sentence "Ton nom est devenue le reste de moi" is also unclear for me...I mean even in my own language I can't get the right meaning and I just translated it word by word....in english it would be like " your name has become my continuation" but I thought If I say "your name has become the rest of me" is somehow better....now what do u think? and which one makes sense better??
    about this one "Le sentiment de parler de toi" I WANTED TO SAY " the sense of talking about you...."
    and this sentence "Comme toi , mon corps s'occuper de ta peine" i wanted to say " like you , my body deals with your pain"
    and the last line "Comme toi, chaque nuit, je me remplis d'être vide (I fill up with being empty?) ...yeah that's right...that's what he sings...there must be some poetic meaning behind it but again I don't know if he's getting empty of her love or what...anyway that's ok and don't bother...you did a wonderful job dear....
    merci encore

Enoo said:

It's always a pleasure to help you Pinky Girl!!! In every languages lyricists often are malicious and write tricky lyrics, making it difficult to translate into other languages but you did it greatly!! And each time the discussing part is very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    the sentence "Ton nom est devenue le reste de moi" is also unclear for me...I mean even in my own language I can't get the right meaning and I just translated it word by word....in english it would be like " your name has become my continuation" but I thought If I say "your name has become the rest of me" is somehow better....now what do u think? and which one makes sense better??
    I see what you mean. I guess it can be translated by:
    Ton nom est devenu le prolongement de moi-même/le prolongement de mon être
    The name of the beloved person is the prolongation of himself and he would feel incomplete without her.

about this one "Le sentiment de parler de toi" I WANTED TO SAY " the sense of talking about you...."
    Now I think that Cette sensation lorsque je parle de toi/Ce sentiment de parler de toi are actually both okay.
    There is also the following possibility: Le sens [que cela a] de parler de toi (The poet would be wondering: "What sense does it have to be talking about you?"). But I don't wanna seem to split hairs.

and this sentence "Comme toi , mon corps s'occuper de ta peine" i wanted to say " like you , my body deals with your pain"
    Maybe this would fit better then:
    Comme toi, mon corps fait face à ta douleur/à ta peine
    Comme toi, mon corps supporte/surmonte ta douleur/ta peine

and the last line "Comme toi, chaque nuit, je me remplis d'être vide (I fill up with being empty?) ...yeah that's right...that's what he sings...there must be some poetic meaning behind it but again I don't know if he's getting empty of her love or what...
    That makes perfect sense. What I imagine is that his days are going on, he's thinking about her, he's loving her but somehow something split them up and he's now filling the days of his life with the emptiness of her absence. Maybe...

pinky_girl said:

Wo000000000000000OOOOOW , Tes corrections sont superbes I liked them very very much and now everything looks just perfect and amazing....thanks a million for your help and your effort to suggest me the best choice.. merci beaucoup

Enoo said:

Khahesh mikonam, my dear! Thank you for your nice words, it's very gratifying to help you!! Don't hesitate to ask if have any questions.

I would be interested in listening to these songs in Persian (now that your translations allow me to know perfectly what they mean ). Would you have a link to hear them?
    Last edited by Enoo; 12-13-2012 at 04:53 AM.

pinky_girl said:

Awwwww merci , c'est gentil
    Oh that's cool and since these songs are my favorite songs and I love the singer I have all of his songs....so I hope you enjoy them ,too:By the way the name of the singer is "Farzad Farzin"and you can see his picture as my avatar and profile picture

Azab(La torture):
    http://www.dl.jahaniha.com/music/jad...aniha.com_.mp3

Ye zan(Une femme):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dmnbltr5d7f8n1p
    Last edited by pinky_girl; 12-14-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Enoo said:

Merci beaucoup dear Pinky!!! I'm gonna listen to this cute singer right now!

Enoo said:

Colour-related idioms

avoir la main verte -------------------------------- to be gifted for gardening
    être vert ---------------------------------------------- to be disappointed (it's stronger than just disappointed but I can't find the right word in English )It's for example the feeling you'd have if you had just discovered that your favorite singer had given a concert 2 days ago near your hometown.
    être vert de jalousie/d'envie/de rage ---------- to be very jealous/envying sth or someone's situation/to be very angry
    (en) voir des vertes et des pas mûres ---------- to be seeing, experiencing or told incredible things (rather negative)

avoir les idées noires -------------- to have dark, gloomy ideas
    broyer du noir ----------------------- to feel depressed
    être la bête noire de qqn ---------- to be the pet peeve/the pet hate of someone
    travailler au noir --------------------- to work illegally

être la lanterne rouge ---------- to be the last one (for example in a race)
    être dans le rouge -------------- to be in debt
    voir rouge ------------------------- to throw a fit of anger

une histoire cousue de fil blanc ---------------- a false story, a lie (a story sewed with white thread)
    être blanc comme neige -------------------------- to be beyond reproach
    faire une nuit blanche ----------------------------- to do a sleepless night
    se regarder dans le blanc des yeux ------------ to gaze into each other's eyes (generally with self-insurance)
    faire chou blanc ------------------------------------- to be unsuccessful
    montrer patte blanche ---------------------------- it means you have to identify yourself (for example to enter a special circle of people/a restricted area/sth official or unofficial)
    se faire des cheveux blancs --------------------- to be very worried
    quand l'un dit blanc, l'autre dit noir ----------- they never agree (when one says white, the other one says black)

avoir une peur bleue ---------------------------- to be intensely scared
    être fleur bleue ----------------------------------- to be sentimental
    être un cordon bleu ------------------------------ to be an excellent cooker
    se faire un bleu ------------------------------------ to bruise oneself
    être de sang bleu/avoir le sang bleu --------- to be of noble birth (not very common idiom)

être un foie jaune ------ to be a yellow belly, a coward
    rire jaune ----------------- to give a forced laugh

La nuit, tous les chats sont gris → All cats are grey in the dark
    → In the dark/ignorance/etc, you can't distinguish between two colours whereas you can see them perfectly in the light.
    Last edited by Enoo; 12-15-2012 at 03:11 PM.

pinky_girl said:

Merci beaucuope dear Enoo, all of them were new to me and never heard them before...that was really interesting and at the same time a little difficult but I'm gonna write them down on my notebook to memorize them as soon as I find some free time

If I want to translate my words to French that would be like this?
    "Toutes les phrases étaient nouvelles pour moi et je ne les ai jamais entendu avant...C'était très interessant et en meme temps un peu difficile...mais je vais les écrire dans mon cahier a memoriser des que je trouve temps libre

12. hannibal77 said:

Merci beaucuope dear Enoo, all of them were new to me and never heard them before...that was really interesting and at the same time a little difficult but I'm gonna write them down on my notebook to memorize them as soon as I find some free time

"Toutes les phrases étaient nouvelles pour moi et je ne les ai jamais entendu avant...C'était très interessant et en meme temps un peu difficile...mais je vais les écrire dans mon cahier a memoriser des que je trouve temps libre
    Bahbah ! Oui, la traduction est juste ! Mais pour être un peu plus précis :

"Toutes les phrases étaient nouvelles pour moi et je ne les ai jamais entendues avant. C'était très intéressant et en même temps un peu difficile… mais je vais les écrire dans mon cahier à mémoriser (we don't really say "mon cahier à mémoriser" even if we understand what it means. I'd better say "mon aide-mémoire" or simply "mon cahier") dès que je trouve du temps libre."

pinky_girl said:

Oh I see... d'accord merci pour votre aide et une autre question : ça veut dire quoi "Tu tiens à elle?" ??

Enoo said:

You're welcome dear, I'm glad you find them interesting! Indeed some of them are difficult and I'll write soon some examples with the most frequently used to make them easier to remember and use.

Well done!! It's almost perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal77 View Post
    Bahbah ! Oui, la traduction est juste ! Mais pour être un peu plus précis :

"Toutes les phrases étaient nouvelles pour moi et je ne les ai jamais entendues avant. C'était très intéressant et en même temps un peu difficile… mais je vais les écrire dans mon cahier à mémoriser (we don't really say "mon cahier à mémoriser" even if we understand what it means. I'd better say "mon aide-mémoire" or simply "mon cahier") dès que je trouve du temps libre."
    You can also say like the English sentence: "je vais les écrire dans mon cahier pour les mémoriser dès que je trouve du temps libre".

et une autre question : ça veut dire quoi "Tu tiens à elle?" ??
    It means: "Do you care about her?", "Are you (emotionally) attached to her?" or more shortly: "Do you like her?".

VivaPalestina said:

bonjour

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by Enoo View Post
    You're welcome dear, I'm glad you find them interesting! Indeed some of them are difficult and I'll write soon some examples with the most frequently used to make them easier to remember and use.

Well done!! It's almost perfect!

You can also say like the English sentence: "je vais les écrire dans mon cahier pour les mémoriser dès que je trouve du temps libre".

It means: "Do you care about her?", "Are you (emotionally) attached to her?" or more shortly: "Do you like her?".

Oh that would be so awesome if you write some examples for those expressions

....if I say" le temps", is it correct? or I just have to say "du" temps????

Aha...got it....and how do you say " falling in love with someone?"

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    bonjour
    Bonjour ma jumelle Tu vas bien?

18. hannibal77 said:

Oh that would be so awesome if you write some examples for those expressions

....if I say" le temps", is it correct? or I just have to say "du" temps????

Aha...got it....and how do you say " falling in love with someone?"
    You can say both :
    Dès que je trouve du temps libre.
    Dès que je trouve le temps.
    BUT
    Dès que je trouve le temps libre. sounds strange to me, I don't know why. I'm francophone, so I don't always know the rules, but this last sentence doesn't work. Hope it will help you anyway…

falling in love with someone = tomber amoureux de quelqu'un
    ex. : Je suis tombé amoureux de Sepideh. (if I am a boy)
    ex. : Je suis tombée amoureuse de Faraz. (if I am a girl)
    As you can see, it looks like english (or I'd rather say : english sounds like french :-P )

Enoo said:

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    bonjour
    Bonsoir VivaP!! I'm glad you joined us, comment ça va?

Enoo said:

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal77 View Post
    You can say both :
    Dès que je trouve du temps libre.
    Dès que je trouve le temps.
    BUT
    Dès que je trouve le temps libre. sounds strange to me, I don't know why. I'm francophone, so I don't always know the rules, but this last sentence doesn't work. Hope it will help you anyway…
    I'm also used to hear this one: "Dès que j'aurais du temps de libre". Indeed it's sometimes very hard to know or remember about the rules when you don't need them.

Btw dès que can be followed by a present or a future tenses, both are correct.