Greatest Verse Ever?

Thread: Greatest Verse Ever?

Tags: None
  1. We, The Seduced said:

Default Greatest Verse Ever?

I have recently stumbled across a poem by Leonard Cohen, who I regard as probably the finest lyricist of modern times, certainly in music. However, this one is new to me.

Mainly because this poem has never been recorded and only recently has a version of it been performed live.

The strange thing is that in the live version this verse is omitted, perhaps passed over for some newer part.

I just cannot help but think though, that it may be the most perfect verse I have ever read.

Even outwith the context of the rest of the poem, I still think it stands up on it's own.

A Thousand Kisses Deep

All soaked in sex and pressed against,
    The limits of the sea.
    I saw there were no oceans left,
    For scavengers like me.
    We made it to the forward deck,
    And blessed our remnant fleet.
    And then consented to be wrecked,
    A thousand kisses deep.

The rest of the poem is quite hard to come by, there is no definitive version. There are probably about 30 verses in total, and not many feature in every version.
  2. rockitmarty said:

You never give me your money
    You only give me your funny paper
    and in the middle of negotiations
    you break down

I never give you my number
    I only give you my situation
    and in the middle of investigation
    I break down
    “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman umgd
  3. djoxy said:

Quote Originally Posted by We, The Seduced View Post
    I have recently stumbled across a poem by Leonard Cohen, who I regard as probably the finest lyricist of modern times, certainly in music. However, this one is new to me.

Mainly because this poem has never been recorded and only recently has a version of it been performed live.

The strange thing is that in the live version this verse is omitted, perhaps passed over for some newer part.

I just cannot help but think though, that it may be the most perfect verse I have ever read.

Even outwith the context of the rest of the poem, I still think it stands up on it's own.

A Thousand Kisses Deep

All soaked in sex and pressed against,
    The limits of the sea.
    I saw there were no oceans left,
    For scavengers like me.
    We made it to the forward deck,
    And blessed our remnant fleet.
    And then consented to be wrecked,
    A thousand kisses deep.

The rest of the poem is quite hard to come by, there is no definitive version. There are probably about 30 verses in total, and not many feature in every version.
    I agree L. Cohen has some of the gratest lyrics in the history of music,and " Thousand Kisses Deep" is one of his best songs!
  4. cadyluna9 said:

thnx 4 sharin