Danish Language

Thread: Danish Language

Tags: None

velvet_sky said:

Post Danish Language

Hello there

Can anyone help me with some grammer of the Danish Language
    Would really appreciate it! :]
    Tose Proeski - The Hardest Thing --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKRrADJ7j3E
    * Agapi mou gurna pisw, Mou Leipeis... :[

~~Pınar~~ said:

I would appriciate it too! I really want to learn that language..For now i just can sing some songs.But pretty difficult language...
    Isten, áldd meg a magyart! <3

velvet_sky said:

Hey, there
    Nice that you want to learn it too, hehe Sooo I hope that someone will reply and give some help

4. buttonlucho said:

i am fluent in danish (my mom is danish) if u have specific questions u can ask me but i don't think i'd be a very good teacher otherwise. i can translate lyrics and letters, etc. hope this helps.

~~Pınar~~ said:

Actually i dont think even if you can teach us somethings about danish it wouldnt be enough without pronounciations...But thank you for your help! I will try to learn it by the lyrics

velvet_sky said:

Well, without pronunciations it would be very hard, I agree But thanks for the reply
    Still if anyone can teach us the language, with all the stuff... like alphabet, pronunciations, tenses and so on is very very welcomed

by the way ~~Pınar~~ can you suggest me some danish songs ?

7. PlainChaos said:

Default Heilo...

I'm willing to help you guys learn Danish grammar (even though it'd probably be a crime against humanity) Lol I don't understand why people wanna learn Danish at all I mean don't you think it sounds too rough?!

Anyways, personal opinions put aside, I think we should start with the pronouns.
    Just ask in case there's something you don't understand

8. PlainChaos said:

Default Personal pronouns

Nominative

Singularis
    1st person: jeg (I)
    2nd person: du (or "De" which is the polite form, notice that it's written with a capital letter) (you)
    3rd person: han, hun, den/det (he, she, it)

Ex. 1: Vil De (NB polite form) være så venlig at række mig smøret?
    (Would you be so kind to pass me the butter?)
    Ex. 2: Jeg er rask, han er syg. (I am well, he is ill.)

Pluralis
    1st person: vi (we)
    2nd person: I (or "De", polite form) (you)
    3rd person: de (they)

Akkusative

Singularis
    1st person: mig (me)
    2nd person: dig (or "Dem", polite form) (you)
    3rd person: ham, hende, den (det) (him, her, it)

Pluralis
    1st person: os (us)
    2nd person: jer (or "Dem", polite form) (you)
    3rd person: dem (them)

Dative

Singularis
    1st person: mig (me)
    2nd person: dig (or "De", polite form) (you)
    3rd person: ham, hende, den (det) (he, her, it)

Pluralis
    1st person: os (us)
    2nd person: jer (or "Dem", polite form) (you)
    3rd person: dem (them)
    Last edited by PlainChaos; 08-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.

velvet_sky said:

Hey PlainChaos thanks for the reply
    I will read your post carefully and try to get all of the things

velvet_sky said:

I think it would be good if you put also the alphabet with the pronounce of the words

~~Pınar~~ said:

PlainChaos! you are perfect! But i actually didnt understand whats akkusative or dative ????

Zise_ti_zoi said:

Why am I seeing that thread now?

@ velvet_sky Как се зариби да учиш Датски?
    하늘의 별 따기...
    등잔 밑이 어둡다!

velvet_sky said:

Ами ми по една или друга причина направих темата за езика, защото и аз не знам... интересен ми се стори...
    И все пак знам, че е доста труден език, надявам се да има някой, който може да ни обясни г/д нещата
    А иначе ти нещо от езика разбираш ли ?

panselinos said:

Quote Originally Posted by PlainChaos View Post
    I don't understand why people wanna learn Danish at all I mean don't you think it sounds too rough?!
    No Northern Germanic language sounds rough. They are like music to my ears.
    It's funnier in Enochian

15. PlainChaos said:

Wink Here you go

Quote Originally Posted by ~~Pınar~~ View Post
    PlainChaos! you are perfect! But i actually didnt understand whats akkusative or dative ????
    Accusative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accusative_case
    Dative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dative_case

16. PlainChaos said:

Default The Danish Alphabet

How you pronounce the letters depends on which words they are used in.
    Especially D and G quite often appear as silent letters, that is, that you either don't read them or pronounce them differently than normally.

A is not always pronounced the same.
    Ex. 1 Appelsin (orange) here it's pronounced like the A in Apple.
    Ex. 2 And (duck) here it's pronounced like the A in Amber.

NB: From now on let's say that the big A symbolizes the appelsin A (ex. 1) and the little a symbolizes the and A (ex. 2) to make it easier to explain pronounciation.

Although ex. 2 as might appear as capital letters (first letter of a word) (like in our example and) they appear more frequently in the middle of a word, unlike ex. 1 As, which also might appear in the middle of a word, but are more often to be seen as the capital letter. This is not an official rule, though. There might be exceptions.

B is pronounced the same way as in English.

C is pronounced like S.

D same as in English, but as mentioned before, D sometimes appears as a silent letter (except when it's used as the capitel letter).
    Ex. 1 Danse (dance) here the D is pronounced like in English, because it's the capital letter.
    Ex. 2 Led (mean, nasty) here the last letter is a silent D and it's pronounced like this [-ijd] (at least that's my best suggestion, it's difficult to explain foreigners how we really pronounce the silent Ds and Gs in Danish, but I'm trying to do my best).

E same as in English.

F same.

G might also appear as a silent letter, but when it's used as the capital letter it's pronounced the same way as in English.
    Ex. 1 Gulerod (carot) notice the silent D (hence last letter). Here G is pronounced the same way as in English. [gullöroijd].
    Ex. 2 Mening this is like in English meaning, the G is silent. Other examples: enig [e-nee] (agree), and words ending with -ning like roning (rowing), flytning (moving, relocation), also words ending with -ling like kylling (chicken). These silent Gs in Danish are actually pronounced the same way as with the silent Gs in English, e.g. ring, skying, flying, smoking, killing etc.

H same as in English.

I is pronounced like this [ee].

J is pronounced like the Y in English.

K same as in English.

L same.

M same.

N same.

O same.

P same.

Q same.

R might appear as a silent letter, just like in English, like in the word argument. But when it appears in verbs in present tense it's pronounced like [-Ah]. Ex: henter [hen-tAh] (bringing), spiser [spee-sAh] (eating), elsker [el-skAh] (loving) etc.

S same as in English.

T same.

U pronounced like [oo].

V same as in English.

W same, but rarely used in Danish.

X same, but rarely used.

Y pronounced like [ü].

Z like in English, but rarely used in Danish.

Æ is pronounced like in the first letter of the name Elizabeth.

Ø pronounced [ö].

Å is kinda pronounced like the English U or the O, it's somewhat like in the word understand, or over, or like in Osama lol.
    Last edited by PlainChaos; 08-01-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Zise_ti_zoi said:

Quote Originally Posted by velvet_sky View Post
    Ами ми по една или друга причина направих темата за езика, защото и аз не знам... интересен ми се стори...
    И все пак знам, че е доста труден език, надявам се да има някой, който може да ни обясни г/д нещата
    А иначе ти нещо от езика разбираш ли ?
    Ами, не , всъщност не разбирам нищо от езика , но и аз като теб съм ентусиаст.

Thanks Plain mou for explaining so well.
    하늘의 별 따기...
    등잔 밑이 어둡다!

velvet_sky said:

Soo let's continue Can you write some useful phrases and so on ?

19. PlainChaos said:

Like what? Idioms? or everyday speech?
    Give me some examles and I'll tell you how we say it in Danish

velvet_sky said:

Yeah, everyday speech Like going to the shop, asking how to get to somewhere and so on also maybe some verbs and their conjuction in Present Simple at the beginning maybe