Leb arabic translation needed - "We cannot escape our fate"

Thread: Leb arabic translation needed - "We cannot escape our fate"

Tags: None

Daydream said:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda9080 View Post
    And yalla--we are ok here?
    The first words I noticed in Arabic, Yalla, Inshallah, ehamdililah (sp?) Praise God, right? And habibi...
    Yes you used "yalla" properly in every single one

and elhamdulilah is the spelling/pronunciation for the term in proper Arabic but in many dialects they shorten it to "elhamdela"

I would say Gulf accents are probably the "heaviest" of all accents.. extremely masculine sounding

Lebanese/Syrian - people from other countries like Palestine sometimes say that it sounds too "soft & feminine" lol but I think its a balance.. Probably the Egyptian dialect is the most "feminine" sounding since they drop alot of the heavier sounds like the "Q" and "J" becomes a "G"

Palestinian and Jordanian have similarities with the Leb and Syrian dialects but is a bit more masculine/heavy sounding to the ears.. I'd say that they're more nasally, but in the end I guess it's to each his own

Most people who are not from the Gulf area have difficulty understanding their accents and find it to be less enjoyable to listen to..

But each country has different accents within the country.. So in certain parts of Lebanon you may find someone saying the word "albi" (my heart) and in another part pronouncing it "galbi" its all based off location too, but for your book I'd take the majority/more commonly used term (in this case albi) so that it will be more widely understood
    Ya reitni 2amle b sha3rak, kel lama ashta2lak atsa7sel w ashoufak ♥

2. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Maalak - Angel?

Hi! So sorry I wanted so bad to answer your posts yesterday, but I couldn't get my *&%%#$ computer to pull up an internet page. I am getting realy famlilar with system restore...

Got the Inshallah, Eradet Allah fixed ( I hope!)

Now, on the meaning of the word "Maalak"
    This little girl in the book's name is "Angel". At one point, they are telling her the meaning of their names in Arabic. On one of the baby name dictionaries, it says "Angel" would be Maalak... Is this correct? Is there a more modern word/name she would be called in the Arabic?

As always, you guys are the best!
    Rhonda
    "Life is what happens while we're busy making other plans..." John Lennon

LOUIE said:

it's not MAALAK, its MA-LAK and this is one of the two names that are used for a female the other one would be MALAKEH
    ?? ???? ?? ????? ????? ?????? ? ??? ??????? ???? ?????

Daydream said:

Hi! So sorry I wanted so bad to answer your posts yesterday, but I couldn't get my *&%%#$ computer to pull up an internet page. I am getting realy famlilar with system restore...

Got the Inshallah, Eradet Allah fixed ( I hope!)

Now, on the meaning of the word "Maalak"
    This little girl in the book's name is "Angel". At one point, they are telling her the meaning of their names in Arabic. On one of the baby name dictionaries, it says "Angel" would be Maalak... Is this correct? Is there a more modern word/name she would be called in the Arabic?

As always, you guys are the best!
    Rhonda
    maalak is Egyptian for what's wrong.. Id reverse the spelling so it's closer to the pronunciation malaak.. because the second syllable has the "a as in apple" sound.. it'd be pronounced "muh-laak"

And I wouldn't go with Malakeh because Angels don't necessarily have a gender

5. Rhonda9080 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream View Post
    maalak is Egyptian for what's wrong.. Id reverse the spelling so it's closer to the pronunciation malaak.. because the second syllable has the "a as in apple" sound.. it'd be pronounced "muh-laak"

I thought it would be Egyptian! Its seems that whenever there is a general "Arabic" translation is is Egyptian. All the phrase books are in this dialect. Actually, I may have to go with Malakeh because it is a girl's name he's referring to, rather than an actual Angel.

6. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Would you go with Malak, or Malakeh?

Quote Originally Posted by LOUIE View Post
    it's not MAALAK, its MA-LAK and this is one of the two names that are used for a female the other one would be MALAKEH
    Hey--thanks Louie for your response. If this is a Lebanese guy interpreting her name for her, would you go with Malak or Malakeh?

7. Rhonda9080 said:

Talking Thanks on the help--the only reasosn there are not errors now!

Hey dear I read through all the posts and I can only find one minor error:

The doctor said, “I keep asking myself the same thing… It is hard to explain to the Westerner Ins’allah…” He shrugged. “God willing, I am here.”
    Angel frowned. “My grandpa talks a lot about God’s will too…” She met his eyes. A slight note of sarcasm returned to her voice when she added, “I don’t think he’s going to blame God for this though…”

I would say "It is hard to explain to the Westerner b eradet Allah" (By God's will, I am here.)

Inshallah wouldn't fit in that sentence.. so you can switch it for "B eradet Allah" to mean By God's will

other than that all the other terms you have used were in a fitting context

Also Palestinians pronounce it maalesh Lebanese say it maalaysh.. same word same meaning but different pronunciation.. Not sure if that's of any importance but in case it is I thought you should know lol
    Hey--thanks to all your help--this is the ONLY reason there aren't as many glaring errors. I had a bunch to start with!

8. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Leb dialect - how to say Heaven, hell?

Hey--here's another. Heaven (where you hopefully go when you die for the faithful)
    Then might as well get Hell too--I'm sure I'll need it at some point.
    I thought heaven might be Al Janna?
    God bless!
    Rhonda

sohuda said:

hell = jahanam
    and yes heaven is 'al janna' that's right..
    and about the name, there's no such name for a girl as 'malakeh'.. 'malak' is the used name for a girl which means angel..
    The hours of pain have yielded good,
    Which prosperous days refused;
    As herbs, though scentless when entire,
    Spread fragrance when they’re bruised.

10. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Got it!

Quote Originally Posted by sohuda View Post
    hell = jahanam
    and yes heaven is 'al janna' that's right..
    and about the name, there's no such name for a girl as 'malakeh'.. 'malak' is the used name for a girl which means angel..
    Ok--another error saved! I think I will be safe to go with Malak, or as daydreamer suggested, Malaak. I did find a "Malaki" on a forum, but I'm not sure that would be Pali/Lebanese.
    Thanks as always! You're the best!!!!

11. Rhonda9080 said:

What about if it is a gril's name? Would they say Malaaki, or just Malaak?

sohuda said:

malaak: ملاك
    malak: ملك
    they are both girls' names that mean: angel.. I think it would be safe to say that it'd be ok if you choose any of them, and as for being a pali/leb name, those are general names, they aren't for a specific nation/country..

Daydream said:

What about if it is a gril's name? Would they say Malaaki, or just Malaak?
    Malaaki would mean "my angel" the "i" at the end is a way to show ownership

Malaak is your best bet, easier for people to read (pronunciation-wise) widely known and used in the Arab language and means Angel for both male & female because like I said.. angels dont have a gender so the term is pretty much established as a unisex term

14. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Malaak it is :)

Malaak is your best bet, easier for people to read (pronunciation-wise) widely known and used in the Arab language and means Angel for both male & female because like I said.. angels dont have a gender so the term is pretty much established as a unisex term
    Your the best! My arabic should improve after all this (I hope!)

15. Rhonda9080 said:

malaak: ملاك
    malak: ملك
    they are both girls' names that mean: angel.. I think it would be safe to say that it'd be ok if you choose any of them, and as for being a pali/leb name, those are general names, they aren't for a specific nation/country..
    Alright--Malaak it is... I just wanted to be sure. Thanks so much again as always! Shukran!

sohuda said:

glad that the name dilemma is solved, *phew* lol

17. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Hey--yes but there's always another :)

glad that the name dilemma is solved, *phew* lol
    Okay, here's another one for you guys. Is there a quote from the Quran that would state something to the effect of Allah saving with the fire of His mouth (this is in the Old Testament) but nothing I can find in the Quran... Or saving from the fire, etc..
    Also, if a Muslim (Leb or Pali) found out someone died--just a young fellow of only 16, would they say "Wallah, or Ya Rabbee, or something else?
    And one more religious question that is kind of sticky. As (I hope with all my heart) you would know, it is not my intention to offend anyone's religion in my book. I have a description of the main character (Karim) likening the ancient pagan gods of the Levant to demons (ancient evil spirits) and calling them "lords of the Day of Doom" (lord in this case not capitalized)
    Now in my Quran, it doesn't say this (at least not that I can find, but a friend of mine told me that one of Allah's names (The Beneficent, the Merciful, Lord of the Worlds, etc) is "Lord of the Day of Doom". I sure don't want to offend anyone (including myself) by likening one of God's names to demon gods. I didn't realize this when I wrote the sequence.
    I hate to ask, but can any of you guys clarify this for me?
    Oh--one thing the character is trying to imply, is that they are lords of evil, and those that follow after their evil will ultimately bring about the "Day of Doom" on all mankind. However, we know God wins the battle!
    Also--would an observant, practicing Muslim with good knowledge of the Quran believe that everything that happens is God's Will? This has been my impression, but I want to be sure it is correct. Most practicing, conservative Christians in the US also believe this...
    Also--one more weird thing, but it will help me--the main character's basic underlying belief is that the world began in the region (middle east, Levant, Fertile Crescent) and will end there? Is this also basically true of conservative Muslim beliefs? I have studied a lot of Bible and Quran prophesy of "the end" (or course, not for God or believers) and this is once again my impression...
    I thank you for any help you can provide.
    God bless you all as always
    Rhonda

18. Rhonda9080 said:

Going with Malaak
    Hey, please do me a favor and read my post to Sohuda. Would like your opinion.
    Rhonda

Daydream said:

For a male who passes away you say - Allah yerhamou
    For a female - Allah yerhama
    (roughly meaning Rest in Peace)

If you want a more religious response there is: ena lellah w ena elayhi raje'oun (which roughly means that We were created by the Lord and to Him we shall return)

Daydream said:

Also--would an observant, practicing Muslim with good knowledge of the Quran believe that everything that happens is God's Will? This has been my impression, but I want to be sure it is correct. Most practicing, conservative Christians in the US also believe this...
    I can't answer most of the other questions because I can't say I know 100% so when it comes to religious issues if I'm not positive I'll leave it to somebody else lol so I hope sohuda can help you.. but regarding to the quoted portion Yes they do and also in predestination