Specific line in a Cruxshadows song. Meaning?

Thread: Specific line in a Cruxshadows song. Meaning?

Tags: None
  1. spiffyschmoo said:

Default Specific line in a Cruxshadows song. Meaning?

Song is: Love and Hatred.

Line is: "Can you hear the cat within the box, can you hear electrons moving free. Watching something, watching nothing in stasis somewhere in-between."

I cannot figure out what this line fully means and I've been over it and over it.

Problematic part is: "Cat within the box"

Discuss meaning of: Symbolism, and application to the rest of the line
  2. spiffyschmoo said:

Wink

bumping for a reply
  3. necrogenesis said:

I believe the line is a reference to the famous problem of Schrödinger's cat. Basically, there is a cat in a box that is both alive and dead, which is a paradox. This interpretation fits with the rest of the song on two levels.

Firstly, there are several references within the lyrics to scientific concepts like evolution, protons, and electrons. The problem of Schrödinger's cat is meant to illustrate a scientific concept, so it fits in the context of the song.

Secondly, the song presents several ideas that may seem contradictory or paradoxical. Starting with the very title we have "love" and "hatred" contrasted. Additionally, all of the aforementioned scientific concepts are juxtaposed with spiritual or religious concepts like creationism and the soul. As an example of a paradox itself, Schrödinger's cat fits perfectly with all these other pairings.