Eng to Croatian - short message

Thread: Eng to Croatian - short message

Tags: None
  1. Voljena123 said:

Default Eng to Croatian - short message

Hello to anyone who can help me...I need to write a short message to my family in Croatia and would appreciate any help. If I tried to do this by myself, I know I'd mess it up! Here it is:

Hello everyone! Here are some of the pics from my vacation. All of them are on the CD. I hope you will be able to use the CD without any problems. Sorry it took a while for me to send this to you! Hope everyone is doing well!

miki444 said:

lol, it doesn't matter if you mess up, i'm sure they know you and your croatian very well. maybe next time you want to write it and we correct it ?

Bok svima! Evo nekoliko slika sa mog odmora na CD-u. Nadam se da ćete moći koristiti CD bez ikakvih problema.
    Oprostite, trebalo mi je neko vrijeme da vam ovo pošaljem. Nadam se da ste svi dobro !

3. Voljena123 said:

thank you again so much for the quick response! next time i will attempt to write something myself and ask for corrections...you see, my main issue is that my family speaks in a very VERY different Istriani dialect than most people who speak proper "Hrvatski" or Croatian would know. i'm afraid if i wrote in the istrian dialect that i'm familiar with, that people would be like "what the hell is that??"...lol...so instead, when i get the translation, i just replace a few words here and there with the words my family uses...it's all so complicated to me!! haha...but thanks nonetheless!

4. zana said:

Quote Originally Posted by miki444 View Post
    Oprostite, trebalo mi je neko vrijeme da vam ovo pošaljem.
    Don't you think that better translation of this line would be Oprostite što mi je trebalo neko vrijeme da vam ovo pošaljem?

because if you translate your line to english it would sound like this: Sorry, I needed some time to send you this.

Spring said:

I have to butt in..

Sorry it took a while for me to send this to you! = Izvinjavam se sto mi je OVOLIKO trebalo da vam ovo posaljem.

The point is in - she is late with the pics.. Or, less condemning - Izvinjavam se sto vam nisam ovo ranije poslala.

But I am not sure if izvinjavam se is ok in Croatian or I should stick to "oprostite sto..."

6. Voljena123 said:

thank you for your other suggestions...i've never heard of "Izvinjavam" before, so I stuck with "oprostite". Thank you!!

miki444 said:

Quote Originally Posted by zana View Post
    Don't you think that better translation of this line would be Oprostite što mi je trebalo neko vrijeme da vam ovo pošaljem?

because if you translate your line to english it would sound like this: Sorry, I needed some time to send you this.

yeah, but i think springs suggestion sounds even better

so: "Oprostite što mi je ovoliko trebalo da vam ovo pošaljem."

8. zana said:

yeah, Springs translation suits the best because te ovoliko word Thank you Spring for that) , but I don't think that Izvinjavati se is croatian word. I think that word was used when we were in Yugoslavia. But it doesn't matter. I'm sure people will understand what she wanted too say.

Spring said:

While we are on the subject, in Serbian - oprostiti is only 'to forgive'
    Like - I ran over your cat with my car, please forgive me lol
    while for all less sinful stuff, we say - izvini (excuse me, sorry)

izviniti C (pf.) izvinjavati A (imp.) to excuse, pardon; ~ se to excuse oneself; izvinite! excuse me!

oprostiti C oprošten (pf.) opraštati A (imp.)
    1. to forgive, pardon; ~ nekome grešku to forgive smb.'s mistake; njemu su oprostili kaznu his sentence was suspended; ~ dug to forgive a debt; *bože (me) oprosti God forgive me;
    2. ~ se to say good-bye (to each other); ~ se s nekim (od nekoga) to say good-bye to smb.; *~ sa životom, s ovim svetom to pass away
    3. ~ se nečega to get rid of smt.

E sad.. a question - u kom slucaju hrvati kazu "oprostite" a u kom "ispricavam se"?
    I sort of thought that "ispricavam se" would be equivalent to "izvinjavam se"
    no ?

10. zana said:

In Croatian when you say oprostite would be like sorry on english, and ispričavam se would be more like I apologize..

that's my view. I'd like to hear others what's their view of oprostite and ispričavam se.

11. lja055 said:

This is probably a stupid question, but when do you use "Žao mi je" ?

Spring said:

Of course it's not a stupid question

žao adv. ~ mi ga je I am sorry for him; ~ mi je što niste došli I am sorry that you didn't come; *učiniti nekome nešto na ~ to do smt. to harm smb.;
    ~ mi je zbog nesporazuma
    I am sorry about the misunderstanding

13. lja055 said:

Oh, I see... Thanks Spring

14. VIP said:

Halo svatko! Ovdje jesu neki dana slike from moj godišnji odmor. Svi od njima jesu na CD. E da bit ćete u mogućnosti iskoristiti CD ROM sa bilo koji problematika. Žalostan Internet je uzeo kratak vremenski razmak za mene to nam ovo poslati te! Uzdanica svatko radi kvalitetno!