Chatting In Hebrew

Thread: Chatting In Hebrew

Tags: None

razvy2 said:

Quote Originally Posted by elinor View Post
    Mizmor:
    מזמר
    Singer, so mizmorim would be singers, right? It seems like a Mizmor is masculine so to pluralize that one would only add " im" at the end of the word
    Toda... And yes I knew about the plural thing, I think it's one of the basic things.
    Bruchim!

istanbulgal said:

Razvi2: for me shalom is basic!

Ma shlomcha? Ani lo medaberet Ivrit, aval ani rotsa leelmod. Ani-me Canada, lo Turkiya.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

razvy2 said:

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post

Ma shlomcha? Ani lo medaberet Ivrit, aval ani rotsa leelmod. Ani-me Canada, lo Turkiya.
    Shalom "basic" bishvileh? :P Aval ani ro'e sheat yoda'at ledaber ha-ivrit . Lamah at rotsa lilmod ha-lashon ha-ze?

Nereis said:

ערב טוב!
    מה שלומך?
    אני בסדר.

5. elinor said:

Hey Razvy

Al lo davar
    I have heard that there is a hebrew expression saying: Ze Katan Alai, I guess that means that wasn't a hard job, a kind of humble reply when someone thanks you, well, the native speaking memebers can tell more if that is he right expression

Mizmor:
    מזמר
    Singer, so mizmorim would be singers, right? It seems like a Mizmor is masculine so to pluralize that one would only add " im" at the end of the word
    Shalom Razvy

I guess Mizmor could be a song as well, because the Psalms are also called that I guess,
    I have a song that says : Mizmor Le' David... And I love this song, it is a religious song.

6. elinor said:

Shalom Istanbulgal
    It is always much better when someone starts from the very basic rules, that helps a lot. I know I have many mistakes in my Hebrew, but it is facinating to talk, and people who know the language are usually so encouraging and helpful, they always have to help the ones who just step into ha=eretz, and I have have heard that the grandchildren always correct their grandparents haha That is cute

7. rose4576 said:

Hey Razvy

Al lo davar
    I have heard that there is a hebrew expression saying: Ze Katan Alai, I guess that means that wasn't a hard job, a kind of humble reply when someone thanks you, well, the native speaking memebers can tell more if that is he right expression

Mizmor:
    מזמר

Shalom elinor, ani ro-ah sha'-at yodat at hapirush shell hamishpatim:
    "ZE KATAN ALAI"!. and, "AL LO DAVAR". Yofi, Nahadar!.

[shalom elinor, I see that you know the meanings of the words:
    "AL LO DAVAR" AND "ZE KATAN ALI". It is great, wonderful.

[yofi=great], and [Na-ha-dar=wonderful].

This is how you pronounce the word: NA-HA-DAR [wonderful]
    NA=[name] HA=[hamburger]=DA[damka]

AL LO DAVAR - we say when someone thanks us, and we reply in a politely\mannerly, by saying:
    "AL LO DAVAR" [like saying in spanish: Da Nada]
    and it means lit.: we\I were happy to help, in every need.

ZE KATAN ALI- it is a slang in hebrew, like when, someone asks if we know what or how to do something,
    or when we want to say that the thing that we did or want to is easy for us, something that we can handle,
    we reply: "ze katan ali".

MIZMORIM= in hebrew means: paslms. [lit. paslms are chantings, that we sing from "the book of paslms" [the liber psalmorum]. in hebrew we say: TEHILIM

SHIRIM= in hebrew means: songs.

Shir Mizmor = a song\ chanting paslm

I personaly love this paslm [wich suits for shabat]:
    My favorit version of Mosh ben ari- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cno95...eature=related

And here is the english translation for the song:
    http://www.hebrewsongs.com/song-shirlamaalot.htm

[In spanish translation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D3lH...eature=related

istanbulgal said:

Shalom everyone:

@Rose toda raba!

@Elinor: you're right, it's best to learn 1-2-3 instead of 3-2-1, but this requires a lot of discipline & patience, but I'm trying. At the moment I'm studying 2 languages and it's not easy, unless you're 2 years old.

@ Razvy2: Ha Ivrit sheli lo, lo, lo col cakh tova, so go easy on me.

"Aval ani ro'e sheat yoda'at ledaber ha-ivrit" - Ken. (google)
    "Lamah at rotsa lilmod ha-lashon ha-ze?" Many reasons & also because it is na-ha-dar!

שבת שלום חברים, ושיהיה לכם סוף שבוע מקסים (I learned this from our wonderful Rose!)
    Albert Einstein

istanbulgal said:

Quote Originally Posted by rose4576 View Post
    Lovely song, but it's not Spanish, it's Portuguese.
    Albert Einstein

10. elinor said:

Default Rose:)

Shalom Rose,
    Thank you so much for all the meanings that you explained bit by bit, that is so educational

Az, leshon shelach Ivrit? Nhadar
    I am trying to dl the youtube you were so kind to place its link in your post, I would love to hear the Pslam you are suggesting, you know, in Iran many many websites are filtered, including youtube, facebook and flkr, so we have to all all cirss-cross ways to view the links that our friends place it on the forums, but you know what? It makes it all the more delicious, all the more mysterous, and when we manage to see what we want to see, it is like a victory

I use www.hebrewsongs.com a lot, because I get the transliteration and translation of many Hebrew songs that I love, if I know their name or the name of their singers, what a great database it has

What languages are you studying by the way? Are those two lnaguages that you are studying under the same linguistic branch or different ones? Do you mix them up sometimes when you talk in one of them? how you have managed to overcome the dificulties of the masculine-feminine issues in the lanauge if it has, do you find the gender system of Hebrew language easy or tough?

I am listening to the Psalm, what a beautiful song indeed, it talks to one's neshama
    Toda shel hashir haze kapara alaich

11. elinor said:

Estanbulgirl
    It is wonderful that you are learning Hebrew You might be in Canada, but perhaps you have a background in Turkey as your nickname shows, that makes you a middle Eastern and how beautiful it is that people of the Middle East understand one another, and the songs and the love songs are the best medium Be'Emet

I am just so excited about this thread and I am so hopeful that we increase our vocab and fluency through this text communicatiion

Shabat Shalom Estanbul girl

razvy2 said:

Shalom everyone:
    @ Razvy2: Ha Ivrit sheli lo, lo, lo col cakh tova, so go easy on me.
    Haha, I don't mean no harm, and basically I'm also a beginner. :P
    "Aval ani ro'e sheat yoda'at ledaber ha-ivrit" - Ken. (google)
    Great, google is also a helpful tool. I suggest you to download Babylon and Linguasoft for hebrew, these are some great hebrew dictionaries. For the hebrew script I suggest you MKLC Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, with this tool you can create your own hebrew keyboard layout, you can make gimel=g, shin=s, lamed=l and so on, it is better than the windows' layout, where the letters are mixed up. :P
    "Lamah at rotsa lilmod ha-lashon ha-ze?" Many reasons & also because it is na-ha-dar!
    True, indeed.
    Shalom Rose,
    Thank you so much for all the meanings that you explained bit by bit, that is so educational
    Az, leshon shelach Ivrit? Nhadar
    I am trying to dl the youtube you were so kind to place its link in your post, I would love to hear the Pslam you are suggesting, you know, in Iran many many websites are filtered, including youtube, facebook and flkr, so we have to all all cirss-cross ways to view the links that our friends place it on the forums, but you know what? It makes it all the more delicious, all the more mysterous, and when we manage to see what we want to see, it is like a victory
    I heard about that, is kind of sad and unfair, but I see that you are skilled like me and you manage to fix that. And I also think that you know how to extract the audio part from a YT movie.
    I use www.hebrewsongs.com a lot, because I get the transliteration and translation of many Hebrew songs that I love, if I know their name or the name of their singers, what a great database it has
    Yep, that 's a great site.
    What languages are you studying by the way? Are those two lnaguages that you are studying under the same linguistic branch or different ones? Do you mix them up sometimes when you talk in one of them? how you have managed to overcome the dificulties of the masculine-feminine issues in the lanauge if it has, do you find the gender system of Hebrew language easy or tough?
    I will also reply :P for your knowledge :P for a Romanian is really easy to overcome the gender issue because 1.we this gender system present (not like Hungarian, for example, where there is no distinction) and 2. the feminine gender in Romanian MAINLY speaking also ends in -a :P
    I am listening to the Psalm, what a beautiful song indeed, it talks to one's neshama
    Toda shel hashir haze kapara alaich
    What's neshama??:P
    ... the songs and the love songs are the best medium Be'Emet
    Amen! ))
    I am just so excited about this thread and I am so hopeful that we increase our vocab and fluency through this text communicatiion.
    Shabat Shalom Estanbul girl
    Me too! Shabat Shalom.

istanbulgal said:

שבת שלום to you too Elinor! Aha, so you understood that I'm a girl (gal), so many here have mistaken me for a boy. :P

I started learning Hebrew in high-school, but that was many moons ago and needless to say I forgot it all, so re-learning it has been like starting all over again and no, I have no Middle Eastern background, however, I have a fascination with ancient cultures & have travelled to the ME region many times (including Israel ) & so I have a deep connection to that part of the world in more ways than one!

Middle Eastern or not, we're all the same and you're right, it's nice that we can understand one another, we don't have to have the same background nor be from the same country, religion, etc., we just need a basic understanding that goes beyond words, of course the best medium as you said, is Be'Emet (in truth).

Yes, I am aware that many websites are filtered where you are, it's a pity, but so glad that forums are helpful to you. I feel so fortunate when I hear the comments you made, but at the same time, I feel for those that don't have the same freedoms I do.

Btw: let me officially welcome you to the forum, I see that you're a new member, I hope you will like it here, we might chat more in English than in Hebrew in the beginning, but with time hopefully this will change. Speaking of languages, I'm not sure if you were asking Rose or I, but I am also studying 2 languages, Hebrew & Italian; I already speak fluent Spanish, so learning the latter is not as difficult as learning the former. How about you, what other languages do you speak?

@Razvy2: thanks for the recommendations, I have some good dictionaries, but always in the look-out for more & thanks for the keyboard suggestion, I'll look into that. I would say you are a very advanced beginner & I like your sense of humour!

I think the literal meaning of 'neshama' is soul (the soul cries out to the Lord...), but it is also a common name given to just about anything, from camps, to stores to websites to even a playground in my city.

http://neshama.com/
    http://www.neshama-music.co.uk/

Albert Einstein

Nereis said:

שבת שלום לכולם!
    אני חושבת נשמה
    = soul =).
    אני אוהבת את
    www.hebrewsongs.com

15. rose4576 said:

שלום חברים ושבת שלום,\ Shalom chaverim, va-Shabat Shalom\ Hello friends, and Shabat Shalom

The word -"Neshama" [נשמה] - means: soul.
    But as dear istanbulgal said, that here in Israel, we use the word: "Neshama", almost in everything, that is how we emphasize our way to say to someone,
    we love him\or we love her\ or we love them. and also that is how we ascribe to something that it is from the soul, from the heart like when we want to say to someone, how much we love him\her, or them, we say:

את הנשמה שלי\
    At ha-na-shama shelly [female]

You are my soul [lit. you are my soul, my everything]
    אתה הנשמה שלי\
    Ata ha-na-sha-ma shelly [male]
    You are my soul [lit. you are my soul, my everything]

אתם הנשמות שלי\
    A-tem ha- na- sha- mot shelly
    All of you, are my souls. [lit. my everything]

Or when we want to escribe something that is soulfu, from the heartl, we say:
    For an example:

המתנה הזאת באה מתוך הנשמה\
    [U]Ha-ma-ta-na [/U]ha-zot ba-ah Ma-ha-na- sha-ma
    This present\gift, came from the soul [lit. from the heart]

@ Razvy2 - in Hebrew: language="Sa-fa". so: " Sa-fa Ivrit" = it means: Hebrew language.

@Elinor:
    אני יודעת רק עברית ואנגלית
    Ani yo-da-at rak Ivrit Va-Anglit.
    [Elinor, I only know: Ivrit and English]

אני רוצה לילמוד ספרדית ואיטלקית, אך אין לי זמן בשביל זה.
    Ani rotza lilmod sfaradit va-italkit, ach ain lee zman bishvil za.
    [I want to learn Spanish and Italian, but I don't have time for this\that.]

@By the way, I am suprised that you know the hebrew slang!.
    You wrote: "KAPARA ALAICH"!!!!

"KAPARA ALAICH"- כפרה עלייך
    It is a hebrew slang when we use to say to someone, that we love,
    and lit. it means, that we give to that person, everything that is good, and also we forgive them at the same time.

@ Dear Istanbulgal- learning Hebrew now, is like riding a bicycle.
    I am sure you can hanle it. Well, you learn two languages at the same time!!! that is wonderful!!. And I agree with you, when you said that it doesn't matter what backround we have, as long we know and want to understand each other. and this forum is a wonderful example!! for that!

BA-HATZ- LA-CHA LA-CH-AM BA-LIM-UD HA-SA-FA HA-IVRIT!!
    [Good luck to you all, in studying\learning the Hebrew language!!]
    Last edited by rose4576; 11-14-2009 at 02:19 AM.

razvy2 said:

I started learning Hebrew in high-school..

@Razvy2: thanks for the recommendations, I have some good dictionaries, but always in the look-out for more & thanks for the keyboard suggestion, I'll look into that. I would say you are a very advanced beginner & I like your sense of humor!

I think the literal meaning of 'neshama' is soul (the soul cries out to the Lord...), but it is also a common name given to just about anything, from camps, to stores to websites to even a playground in my city.
    See, I told you that you have the basics. )) :P I hope I'm an advanced beginner. :P What a words' game. :P You like my sense of humor??
    So neshama is soul... I was thinking about this, but I had in mind nephesh So it's a feminine word, neshama/neshamot? (PS I could write in the hebrew alphabet, but I'm too lazy!!! )) )

Quote Originally Posted by Nereis View Post
    שבת שלום לכולם!
    אני חושבת נשמה
    = soul =).
    אני אוהבת את
    www.hebrewsongs.com
    Toda raba Nereis, achshav ani mevin meod tov.

Quote Originally Posted by rose4576 View Post
    The word -"Neshama" [נשמה] - means: soul.
    [/B]But as dear istanbulgal said, that here in Israel, we use the word: "Neshama", almost in everything, that is how we emphasize our way to say to someone.
    Toda raba for some great explanations! I got the point in this matter concerning the word "soul", in Romanian is the same usage. Yes, now I remember, safa/safot is better for referring to a language than lashon/lashonim. :P

17. rose4576 said:

שבת שלום לכולם!
    אני חושבת נשמה
    = soul =).
    אני אוהבת את
    www.hebrewsongs.com
    @Nereis -שבת שלום לך
    מה שלומך?\ How are you? \ Ma shlomach?

@Razvy2 - Ma shlomcha? \ how are you
    I am glad you understood my explanation.

18. elinor said:

Default Istanbulgal :)

שבת שלום to you too Elinor! Aha, so you understood that I'm a girl (gal), so many here have mistaken me for a boy. :P

I started learning Hebrew in high-school, but that was many moons ago and needless to say I forgot it all, so re-learning it has been like starting all over again and no, I have no Middle Eastern background, however, I have a fascination with ancient cultures & have travelled to the ME region many times (including Israel ) & so I have a deep connection to that part of the world in more ways than one!

Middle Eastern or not, we're all the same and you're right, it's nice that we can understand one another, we don't have to have the same background nor be from the same country, religion, etc., we just need a basic understanding that goes beyond words, of course the best medium as you said, is Be'Emet (in truth.

Yes, I am aware that many websites are filtered where you are, it's a pity, but so glad that forums are helpful to you. I feel so fortunate when I hear the comments you made, but at the same time, I feel for those that don't have the same freedoms I do.

Btw: let me officially welcome you to the forum, I see that you're a new member, I hope you will like it here, we might chat more in English than in Hebrew in the beginning, but with time hopefully this will change. Speaking of languages, I'm not sure if you were asking Rose or I, but I am also studying 2 languages, Hebrew & Italian; I already speak fluent Spanish, so learning the latter is not as difficult as learning the former. How about you, what other languages do you speak?

]

Dear Istanbulgal

It was so amazing to read your post and all what you shared with us about your ideas, the way you look into life and Middle East and people in general, I believe if someone is not that much in love with humanity and human relations, that person wopuld not go as far as learning several languages, and as I think, most people who know more than one language, they are the ones who feel the urge to make all understand how much they all have in common.

Thank you for all your kind words:. It is absolutely essential to speak English as well, because that is the international language that can link all of us to one another and build the grounds for learning more about our respective languages and cultures

It is wonderful that where you were brought up, you could study Hebrew as the second language, and you are so youthful, you have many many years ahead of you for learning and perfecting all what you have learnt I wish one day we all visit Middle East country by country and dance to all the songs we hear in all its languages haha Lama lo?
    I am so happy because I finally found a group of wonderful people whom I can speak to in Hebrew and understand my mistakes, learn more words and more of the culture, because language is so much rooted in the cultre and they both come in the same package See that is one of the things so good about it
    Ahava me Iran
    Chaera Shaleach Heina
    Elinor

19. elinor said:

שבת שלום לכולם!
    אני חושבת נשמה
    = soul =).
    אני אוהבת את
    www.hebrewsongs.com

שבוע טוב
    נראי
    גם אני אהבת את
    www.hebrewsongs.com

אכלה מקום של שירים

20. elinor said:

Omg I am typing in Hebrew, that is a slow but exiciting process. One day I will; type so fast if we get going the way we are Toda le'kolammm