i don't know how to accurately catagorize it, but it could be soul rock, adult contemporary, soft rock, etc. it had a video, and all i remember was a dark haired guy with facial hair, on the stocky side.

the beginning of the song has piano, but it builds into something with multiple tracks, including guitar i believe. the vocalist has a really nice voice, maybe a little more soulful and raw than a duncan sheik. kinda like an afghan whigs mellow song, with better quality vocals. i can't remember any of the lyrics, but it makes me think of oceans, or 'day' something. it's supposed to be encouraging i think. but it has a really beautiful melody and they played it very often in shopko on their easy listening kind of cheesy radio. i can't remember when i started hearing it, but it must of been the late 90's, or more probably the 00's. it wasn't train or any of those kind of bands, and i think it may have been a previously underground band that never had any 'hits' afterward. is this enough info? i know it's all pretty vague, but i appreciate any help. it's really driving me nuts.