Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Hello everyone:

Orwie
    will be unavailable for a period of time, but he wants you to know that he has not forgotten you or this thread, so please:

If any of you would like to start posting some tests & keep his thread alive while he is away, I'm sure he would not mind. Any non-native volunteers?
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    1. players take turn in posting the tests,
    2. The time is to short (I ADDED)
    3. only one person posts the results (whoever finishes first for example),
    4. discuss the incorrect answers amongst yourselves & help each other out,
    5. if you don't know the answer & need help, Orwa or person posting the test can ask the questions under the English thread and that is where Jandros, I and others can contribute.
    Hello people, i have been away for some private reasons & just today i finished it & all went ok (I hope), so i came here to see what our dear professors are suggesting.

1- This one is fine, we want to make the turns from now, i'll make it & see what all of you say if there's any complains., ok?

2- Yes, i see the time is short, one week is very difficult for answering, what do you think if we close it after ONE DAY of getting 8 votes that they finished, this would make it shorter & easier, maybe a week & maybe three days & maybe two weeks, it all depends on people.

3- Excuse me but by doing this you're removing yourself & Mr. J from the thread & i never want that, believe me a thread without Jandros & Istanbulgal is not a proper thread & i believe all will agree, right??, so i suggest it will be like:
    Lets say this's Mares turn, she will collect the questions & send them to you & Jandros & Istanbulgal & Diego check them & then Mares let it to start, and with the all the others you start answering the test, at the ending time you post your answer & depend on it we all see the scores & put it in the thread with the whole test & mark the wrong things on it & whoever in the participators (Or jandros & Istanbulgal & Diego) notice a mistake would mention it.

4- I said it in the point #3

5- Very good idea, i like it a lot, so that we won't lose any question, the all questions would be sent to the one who's moderating & s/he posts it all in the english thread so that Istanbulgal & Jandros would answer it.

Look, i only want to mention one thing, i made the thread actually to help myself & to share the help with others, whoever wants to participate, WELCOME, and who doesn't want it is ok, but at any rate i'll be in every test & the thread won't die as long as i am alive

Have a great day everyone & i want a confirmation from everyone that s/he agrees at above points because we will start it, soon
    Last edited by Orwa; 12-17-2009 at 12:36 AM.
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Me again, here're the turns of making the tests, i don't know if all of them will participate, whoever doesn't want please say so that i could remove the name from now:

1- Orwa.
    2- MaresLejanos.
    3- El-Raisa.
    4- Tigress_Tim (?)
    5- Xiurell.
    6- Spring.
    7- Maviii
    8- Zahra2008
    9- Kibele
    10- LoOlya
    11- Pamella

I wrote the names as i remembered them, please say if OK or not so that we know from now & i'll send you all a PM asking wether you want or not.

@Diego, i thought of it & i would only like to find you with Jandros & Istanbulgal, so we can make them three & according to your three answers we would see the results, so now the tests will be sent to three peole, ISTNABULGAL, JANDROS & DEBIRES, As soon you three say 'ok' i'll start it.

All the best
    Last edited by Orwa; 12-17-2009 at 03:56 AM.
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Dear Orwa, Spring is a bit lost (too much snow around me) and kinda busy but, Im around and will surely participate (if I figure out how/when... lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Dear Orwa, Spring is a bit lost (too much snow around me) and kinda busy but, Im around and will surely participate (if I figure out how/when... lol
    LOL Ms. Spring , this was funny, welcome to come friend, i saw your english is a little bit more advanced than mine but the tests will be hard & you will see & compitations with me are even harder, everyone knows about my corrupted behaviours

I am even not very clear how it will go because i need an OK from Diego, Istanbulgal & Jandros, after they say OK we will start it & i'll be responsible for the first one to see how it will go

Thanks

ok, Orwa, I'm ready

Thanks

You can count on me too bro
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

Thanks

So, i am going to arrange the exam & keep it on my computer until the three people, Istanbulgal, Janros & Diego agree & then i'll announce it

Thanks

By the way, poeple, is there's any ideas how to upload a 2mb sound file to the internet so that others could download it??

Thanks

Try box.net

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    So, i am going to arrange the exam & keep it on my computer until the three people, Istanbulgal, Janros & Diego agree & then i'll announce it
    Just post it Orwie. I won't be around for the holidays and as I suggested under point #3, let the players get involved not only in the writing of the tests, but also in the corrections. As Jandros said, we'll be happy to monitor & provide assistance on an occasional basis. Give it a try, I think it will be a lot of fun; you will learn a lot from these tests!

Good luck everyone!
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

Excuse me Ms. Istanbulgal, and Jandros (?), the ''game'' idea was built in my mind & you were the main ''players'' in it, so now when you say you will just be ''watching'' because you don't have time & i understand this, that mean you won't be inside it & this will mean that i lost the main two characters & no body in my immagination could replace your place due to many reasons i'd keep them to myself.

So that meant that i am not in need for this thread anymore, right?

So i do suggest we would close it & this will be the bestest way, i opened it to help 'myself' firstly & to share the help with others too, but it won't help me & it'll be like a game & no one have the time to play games

Thanks to everyone who supported me, Tim Tim, Spring, Xiurell, Mavii & the rest.

Mr. O
    Last edited by Orwa; 12-18-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks

Orwie san

Don't take important decisions in such a rush.
    I agree with istanbulgal and jandros, and i am hoping by the end of this post i will make you understand also.

This thread will be very helpful for many members here trying to improve their english. I know there is another thread where u all post questions regarding english grammar but then this should be reserved for tests only! And as Monica said, she already helps a lot there, and you know how busy she is and she still reserves a lot of time for many threads here, also John is a very busy man - why can't you understand this?
    And i think what she suggested now is a very good idea - the same person who posts the test should be the one who corrects it also - and if...i'm saying if some complications appear then M and J will cut in also and help ; but it's not fair to leave all the work to them and i also think it will be much better like this - and u said people won't commit to it and get unreliable about it , well those people shouldn't engage into posting tests at all - those people should stay away - i myself said i will help with posting one test - and also with the correcting and further explanations that might be needed - but if i'd knew i couldn't handle this i wouldn't offer already.. this is how this matter should be approached

So please think this over one more time , before you make the decision of ending this ok?

And i repeat myself - I know you , i know you must feel hurt and mad cause this didn't end as u wished, but please put yourself in M or J's shoes and try to understand them, and don't blame them Ok ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tigress_tim For This Useful Post:
    El raisa (12-22-2009)

Thanks

Ya Timea, i have nothing against Istanbulgal nor do i have anything about Jandros, i am NOT hurt at all, i am even happier because they refused from now, some people would agree & at the middle of the work they will say we are out, but from now they refused which is very a lot appreciated, who said i even felt hurt?!?, do not worry , i do understand they are busy with lots of stuff

I don't know what to tell you, but really the thread without them isn't beautiful, the idea came while they were the main pieces in it, anyway, no worries, if someone wants to complete it than me they are free to do that & i may come & join it too, but excuse me i won't be able to start it

But again, thanks to everyone who supported

Thanks

Ok Orwie. As you wish

Thanks

Orwiiiiie!!! Don't close this topic!!! Obviously a lot of people are interested in this, and other people will also find it in the future. And both Istanbulgal and I will support it, as we can. But the only problem right now is the Christmas and New Year holiday. Last week was extremely busy, this week will be even more busy, and then the New Year ... just a little patience right now, that's all that's needed

Do not close this topic ....

Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

Well, I was away for so long !!

Having such thread is good idea , but I agree with all the opinions that made a stress that this should not be the heavy job on the shoulders of specified people , this is quite unfair , I thank Jandros & Istanbulgal for their help , but I am not demanding for more what they can offer , this forum is built on volunteer work after all , we do not have the right to ask for more ..

Dear Orwa , all great ideas can be modified a be better & better according to what we all can afford , so do not push yourself & take it easy
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

Jandros, Thank you very very much for your support, you brought me a big smile when i saw your post & you even made me feel shy that i closed it, i'll open it again as you said you will be right there & i'll post my test soon & i'll answer it, whoever wants to participate is WELCOMED, who doesn't want is ALSO WELCOMED.

I'll post the test later today or tomorrow, stay tuned

Thanks

Thumbs up 1st test

MINISTERY OF EDUCATION, ATL
    ENGLISH DEPARTMENT
    EXAM SHEET FOR 1st TEST

Let's start:

Choose the correct word or phrase to complete the English grammar question. Each question has only one correct answer:

1- If she ___________ about his financial situation, she would have helped him out.
    Knew ()
    Had been knowing ()
    Had known ()
    Have known ()
    --------------------------------------------------
    2- I'll ______________ their cat while they are away on holiday.

be looking into ()
    be looking at ()
    be looking after ()
    be looking over ()
    -------------------------------------------------
    3- He made his children ______ their homework every afternoon.

do ()
    to do ()
    studied ()
    to study ()
    4- The test was ____ difficult she had problems finishing it on time.

such ()
    a ()
    as ()
    so ()
    5- By the time she arrives, we ________________ our homework.

finish ()
    will have finished ()
    will finish ()
    were finished ()
    6- She _________________ lunch by the time we arrived.

had finished ()
    finished ()
    have finished ()
    finishing ()
    7- The sun ______ at 9 last night.

sat ()
    setted ()
    set ()
    was setting ()
    8- When I stopped __________ to Mary, she was picking some flowers in her garden.

speaking ()
    speak ()
    to speak ()
    spoke ()
    9- Despite ______________ hard, he failed the exam.

he studied ()
    he has studied ()
    studying ()
    study ()
    10- That room _______________ for a meeting today.

is used ()
    is being used ()
    used ()
    is using ()
    11- We ____________ tennis every day when we were young.

use to play ()
    would play ()
    were playing ()
    were used to play ()
    12- If I __________ you, I would wait a while to begin investing.

was ()
    am ()
    were ()
    would be ()
    13- He'll give you a call as soon as he __________.

will arrive ()
    arrives ()
    is arriving ()
    is going to arrive ()
    14- I really didn't want to come last night. _______.

So do I ()
    Neither do I ()
    Neither I did ()
    Neither did I ()
    15- Do you think ___________ ?

does he know what he wants ()
    he knows what he wants ()
    he knows what does he want ()
    what he wants he knows ()

Complete the second sentence so that it is similar in meaning to the first. Use the word after the double slash (//) to complete the blank:

1- You must never take your helmet off while you are riding a motorcycle.
    Helmets must be worn _____ when riding a motorcycle. // all
    2- They wanted to apologize for their behavior: that's why they paid for dinner.
    They paid for dinner ______ for their behavior. // order
    3- It isn't necessary to bring skis as they are included in the package.
    You _____ bring skis as they are included in the package. // have
    4- I thought parking was allowed here.
    I _____ that parking was allowed here. // under
    5- Tom said, "I will be playing tennis when you arrive.
    Tom said _____ tennis when I arrived.
    6- When I was a child, we would go to the local park every Saturday afternoon.
    When I was a child, _____ to the park every Saturday. // used
    7- His daughter continued to cry until he could not be seen any longer.
    She continued to cry until he ____. // sight
    8- I'm afraid that car is just too expensive.
    That car is _____. // means
    9- They moved to this suburb in 1997.
    They _____ in this suburb since 1997. // lived
    10- One other thing before I forget - Jack is coming to visit next weekend.
    _____, Jack is coming to visit next weekend. // by
    11- They managed to finish the project in time for the presentation.
    They _____ the project in time for the presentation. // succeeded
    12- Maurice didn't come to the meeting yesterday. Perhaps he was ill.
    Maurice _____ yesterday. // might
    13- Jane allows her children to stay up to midnight on Saturday evenings.
    Jane _____ late on Saturdays. // lets
    14- Luckily, Peter wasn't charged with an offense when the police caught him stealing the first time.
    Peter was very lucky because he _____ for his first crime. // off
    15- Can I accompany you to the party?
    Do you _____ to the party? // mind

Choose the correct reported speech version of each statement. Each question has only one correct answer

1- Tom said, 'I want to visit my friends this weekend.'

Tom said he wants to visit his friends that weekend. ()
    Tom said he wanted to visit his friends that weekend. ()
    Tom said he wanted to visit his friends this weekend. ()
    2- Jerry said, 'I'm studying English a lot at the moment.'

Jerry said he was studying English a lot at that moment. ()
    Jerry said he was studying English a lot at the moment. ()
    Jerry said I was studying English a lot at that moment. ()
    3- They said, 'We've lived here for a long time.'

They said they have lived there for a long time. ()
    They said they lived here for a long time. ()
    They said they had lived there for a long time. ()
    4- He asked me, 'Have you finished reading the newspaper?'

He asked me if had I finished reading the newspaper. ()
    He asked me if I had finished reading the newspaper. ()
    He asked me if I finished reading the newspaper ()
    5- 'I get up every morning at seven o'clock.', Peter said.

Peter said he got up every morning at seven o'clock. ()
    Peter said I got up every morning at seven o'clock. ()
    Peter said he had got up every morning at seven o'clock.()
    6- Susan reassured me, 'I can come tonight.'

Susan told me I could come that night. ()
    Susan told me she could come that night. ()
    Susan told me she could come tomorrow evening. ()
    7- She said, 'I really wish I had bought that new car.'

She told me she really wished she bought that new car. ()
    She told me she really had wished she had bought that new car. ()
    She told me she really wished she had bought that new car. ()
    8- Jack said, 'He must be guilty!'

Jack said he must have been guilty. ()
    Jack said he must have be guilty. ()
    Jack said he must has been guilty. ()
    9- Cheryl asked her, 'How long have you lived here?'

Cheryl asked her how long she has lived there. ()
    Cheryl asked her how long she lived there. ()
    Cheryl asked her how long she had lived there. ()
    10- He said, 'I must get going. Otherwise, I'm going to be late.'

He told me he had to get going. Otherwise, he was going to be late. ()
    He told me he had to get going. Otherwise, I was going to be late. ()
    He told me he has to get going. Otherwise, he was going to be late. ()

Put sentences in the right order:

1- movies, action, everyone, not, exciting, likes

2- library, usually, studies, Pablo, the, in

3- car, just, Japanese, a, bought, beautiful, new, Larry

4- Alice, sweet, smelling, Mike, a dozen, bought, red, roses

5- early, has, tomorrow, meeting, Mary, important, morning, an

6- Asian, beautiful, John, loves, women

7- a, actor, old, Japanese, famous, is, He

8- The, tall, red, a, bank, building, is

9- shoes, wearing, like, comfortable, I, walking, old

10- blue, Jim, vinyl, a, is, jacket, wearing

Read through the text, answer the questions that follow:

1- What is the hardest language:

People often ask which is the most difficult language to learn, and it is not easy to answer because there are many factors to take into consideration. Firstly, in a first language the differences are unimportant as people learn their mother tongue.
    Naturally, so the question of how hard a language is to learn is only relevant when learning a second language.

A native speaker of Spanish, for example, will find Portuguese much easier to learn than a native speaker of Chinese, for example, because Portuguese is very similar to Spanish, while Chinese is very different, so first language can affect learning a second language. The greater the differences between the second language and our first, the harder it will be for most people to learn. Many people answer that Chinese is the hardest language to learn, possibly influenced by the thought of learning the Chinese writing system, and the pronunciation of Chinese does appear to be very difficult for many foreign learners. However, for Japanese speakers, who already use Chinese characters in their own language, learning writing will be less difficult than for speakers of languages using the Roman alphabet.

Some people seem to learn languages readily, while others find it very difficult. Teachers and the circumstances in which the language is learned also play an important role, as well as each learner's motivation for learning. If people learn a language because they need to use it professionally, they often learn it faster than people studying a language that has no direct use in their day to day life.

Apparently, British diplomats and other embassy staff have found that the second hardest language is Japanese, which will probably come as no surprise to many, but the language that they have found to be the most problematic is Hungarian, which has 35 cases (forms of a nouns according to whether it is subject, object, genitive, etc). This does not mean that Hungarian is the hardest language to learn for everyone, but it causes British diplomatic personnel, who are generally used to learning languages, the most difficulty. However, Tabassaran, a Caucasian language has 48 cases, so it might cause more difficulty if British diplomats had to learn it.

Different cultures and individuals from those cultures will find different languages more difficult. In the case of Hungarian for British learners, it is not a question of the writing system, which uses a similar alphabet, but the grammatical Complexity, though native speakers of related languages may find it easier, while struggling with languages that the British find relatively easy.

No language is easy to learn well, though languages which are related to our first language are easier. Learning a completely different writing system is a huge challenge, but that does not necessarily make a language more difficult than another. In the end, it is impossible to say that there is one language that is the most difficult language in the world.

Questions:

1- The question of how hard a language is to learn is relevant to both first and second language acquisition.
    Right () Wrong ()
    2- Portuguese is definitely easier than Chinese.
    Right () Wrong ()
    3- A Japanese speaker may well find the Chinese writing system easier than a speaker of a European language.
    Right () Wrong ()
    4- The Hungarian alphabet causes problems for British speakers.
    Right () Wrong ()
    5- Hungarian is the hardest language in the world.
    Right () Wrong ()
    6- Hungarian has as many cases as Tabassaran.
    Right () Wrong ()
    7- Many British diplomats learn Tabassaran.
    Right () Wrong ()
    8- The writer thinks that learning new writing systems is easy.
    Right () Wrong ()

Listen to the following file and answer this sound part and answer the following:

1. Did he a) already understand the problem when he spoke to her? b) Not understand the problem when he spoke to her? ()
    2. Was I a) surprised by how kind the Germans were? b) Shocked by how rude they were? ()
    3. Did Alice a) have someone clean house for her? b) Clean the house herself? ()
    4. Has he taken a job? a) Yes b) no) c maybe ()
    5. Someone with a score of 55 usually ... a) doesn't pass the test. b) Passes the test. ()
    6. The weather two days ago was probably ... a) stormy b) sunny ()
    7. The settlers brought ... a) valuable gifts. b) Cheap objects. ()
    8. Which statement is true? a) I am certain I am going to leave. b) I might leave c) I probably will leave ()
    9. What will I do when I finish dinner? a) pay for dinner b) ask my friend to pay for me c) put the bill on my credit card ()
    10. Did Jack when the prize? a) No b) yes ()

Good luck, there are 68 questions, i believe with more questions it will be MORE harder, isn't it????

Whoever finishs answering please say that I FINISHED.
    Last edited by Orwa; 12-25-2009 at 03:15 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orwa For This Useful Post:
    MaresLejanos (12-25-2009),Maviii (12-28-2009),xiurell (12-28-2009)

Thanks

I FINISHED, it is seems like i am & Mares are the only ones who are doing the test, so i ought to give her a little big thanks

Thanks Mares , after you say that you finished i'll close it & discuss it, me, you & Mr. Jandrooooooooooooooooos

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast