Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

That mean i deserve my evil score?, but they yet were a small mistakes, not too huge, anyway thank you for your time Mr. J, i really appreciate your come very much

If there will be a next test, you can take 10 min from your time everyday& answer the questions, you don't have to make it all in one sitting, it takes a lot
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    PS. Mr. J, there were some mistakes in your test, in the reading part question number one.

1- the answer should be wrong because it does NOT apply to the 1st language, only the 2nd one.

"the question of how hard a language is to learn is only relevant when learning a second language".
    I believe you're correct. Quite honestly, the sentence before the one you quoted seemed a little weird (there are no "differences" in our one native language) and I think I just "turned off" for the rest of the paragraph

2- in the question 3 part 15: the boy is not interested in the party so much, rather he is interested in being with the girl, so, the verb in the new sentence should be 'accompanying' and not 'come', was that right?
    Certainly, that would be a closer match to the original sentence. But almost all of those questions suggested very simple answers, not necessarily an exact or complete rephrasing. And of course the main purpose is to use "mind" correctly. But as you said, the more complete alternative is "Do you mind if I accompany you to the party?"
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

That mean i deserve my evil score?, but they yet were a small mistakes, not too huge, anyway thank you for your time Mr. J, i really appreciate your come very much

If there will be a next test, you can take 10 min from your time everyday& answer the questions, you don't have to make it all in one sitting, it takes a lot
    De nada Orwie san

I think it would be best to have much shorter tests ... no more than 25-30 questions at a time.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    Spring (01-08-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    De nada Orwie san

I think it would be best to have much shorter tests ... no more than 25-30 questions at a time.
    hehe, yeah, i believe it should be like that, this one was LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

Orwie, I'm really sorry, I didn't have planned to travel to another city, I just came back today, 3am ...

JJ, you did a great job, you are really great !!!!
    "La tolerancia de los ideales ajenos es virtud suprema en los que piensan." - Josť Ingenieros

Thanks

Thank you Mares, and welcome back!

Thanks

There was some quite tricky stuff in the listening part... and quality of the file is quite bad. I got these two totally wrong

3. Did Alice a) have someone clean house for her? b) Clean the house herself?
    (a)

6. The weather two days ago was probably ... a) stormy b) sunny
    (a)

I think 8. Which statement is true? a) I am certain I am going to leave. b) I might leave c) I probably will leave
    is (c)

And I was having second thoughts about 5. Someone with a score of 55 usually ... because I don't see much point in anything usually because he says the scoring system was changed so - they used to fail with that score but they changed it now so ... there's no usually - just past and present facts lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    There was some quite tricky stuff in the listening part...
    Very true! I also think your questions and analyses indicate an extremely good understanding of English, and I certainly hope you realize that
    And the audio part was very hard for me as well. There are some obscure complications in several of the questions. #3 is a very good example of complexity and obscurity .....

3. Did Alice a) have someone clean house for her? b) Clean the house herself?
    (a)
    ... "the amount of cleaning that she had to have done" ...

In the most common usage of this complex verb structure ... or I should say, in my assumption ... the verb phrase is transitive, and the object is "the cleaning" ... and in passive voice, where someone else did the cleaning. My intrepretation is that Alice "had to have (the cleaning) done".

But there is also a complication, which involves a colloquial use of "had to have done". Imagine this scenario:

I'm writing a report for work, on my computer. I've also shared that computer file with one other person. After lunch I open it again, and I discover something has been changed.

So I ask the other person, "Did you change my report?"

"No, I didn't change it," he replies.

I respond, "But you're the only other person who can access the file and change it. You had to have done it!! ... you must have done it! ... because nobody else could have done it."

In this case, the trailing object noun "it" clarifies that "had to have done" (it) is an active-voice verb.

But in question #3, the object of the transitive verb is not nearly as evident. The meaning is obscured in the sentence structure, the context, and also in the stress .....

And in this case, stress can offer a final clarification!
    In the audio, a noticeable distinction is put on the word "have". This stresses the passive aspect of the phrase; someone else did the work. But in my scenario above, the word "have" would not be stressed at all. It might even be spoken almost as a contraction: "You had to 'ave done it" or more clearly, "You must've done it."

English grammar doesn't often depend on stress, like some other languages. But in complicated verb structures like #3, stress can offer a clue to the meaning or intentions of a statement.

I think 8. Which statement is true? a) I am certain I am going to leave. b) I might leave c) I probably will leave
    is (c)
    I believe you're correct. I imagine you're correct

I had to think a lot about the customary use of the word "imagine", because actually that word is not used so much any more, especially by younger people in the USA. I also had to think a lot about how I've heard Brits use this word

And I was having second thoughts about 5. Someone with a score of 55 usually ... because I don't see much point in anything usually because he says the scoring system was changed so - they used to fail with that score but they changed it now so ... there's no usually - just past and present facts lol
    My understanding is that he managed to have the scoring system changed just this once ... maybe because there was a previous precedent that fit his situation ... or an obscure rule that allowed an exception ... and I think that's the key, that maybe this was an isolated exception to the usual or normal system. But again, I understand why you would have second thoughts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    Spring (01-07-2010)

Thanks

Thank you jandros! Again! And again....

I imagine my English has traveled a long way (in various directions) but it's always nice to hear a native speaker saying something like that... :P

As for 5. ... I guess it's just a thing they do in the tests. Almost as if the point is not to test someone's English but their intelligence. How the hell are we supposed to assume that it's just that one isolated case? Maybe if we cheat and listen to the file over and over again ....

Thanks

I hope my last post wasn't totally confusing!

There is also a more simple illlustration for #3 ... the amount of cleaning that Alice "had to do" herself ... whereas in the audio file, it was the amount of cleaning that Alice "had to have done" by someone else.

However, #3 can be very confusing because it uses an infinitive, plus a verb form that could be intrepreted as past perfect, or some other "perfect" tense, and also the possibility of either active or passive voice.

In other words, it takes a real master of English to understand or explain the correct answer to #3. And I hope I didn't fail in that regard

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    Spring (01-07-2010)

Thanks

...How the hell are we supposed to assume that it's just that one isolated case? ....
    I totally agree with your feelings about that question!

Thanks

Here is a new test, I'll answer it within these three days, and put a new one, whoever wants to join me, welcome

What do these phrasal verbs mean? Choose the correct option.

1) Our father was very good at making up stories for us children.

a telling
    b inventing
    c reading
    d remembering

2) I can put you up at my flat if you like.

a give you somewhere to sleep
    b give you a lift home in my car
    c give you a meal
    d give you some work to do

3) Sandra is always picking on me these days.
    a asking me to do things
    b helping me
    c criticising me
    d playing games with me

4) Iíll get round to writing the report soon.

a Iíll find time to write the report soon.
    b Iíll finish writing the report soon.
    c Iíll persuade someone else to write the report soon.
    d Iíll go to the office and write the report soon.

5) Iíve been snowed under at work recently.

a Itís been very busy at my work.
    b The weather has been very bad.
    c Itís been very cold in the office.
    d My boss has been causing problems.

Complete these phrasal verbs. Choose the correct option.

6) My sister has recently taken ....... yoga as a hobby.

a on
    b over
    c in
    d up

7) Nadira and I are best friends; weíve always ........ on very well together.

a gone
    b got
    c done
    d took

8) Mum will leave us a meal to ........ up when we get home.

a heat
    b hot
    c make
    d work

9) Things are difficult for you now but Iím sure everything will ......... out OK in the end.

a break
    b pull
    c turn
    d stand

10) The writer puts ......... some very interesting ideas in this article.

a away
    b on
    c up
    d forward

Thanks

What do these phrasal verbs mean? Choose the correct option.

1) Our father was very good at making up stories for us children.

a telling
    b inventing
    c reading
    d remembering

2) I can put you up at my flat if you like.

a give you somewhere to sleep
    b give you a lift home in my car
    c give you a meal
    d give you some work to do

3) Sandra is always picking on me these days.
    a asking me to do things
    b helping me
    c criticising me
    d playing games with me

4) Iíll get round to writing the report soon.

a Iíll find time to write the report soon.
    b Iíll finish writing the report soon.
    c Iíll persuade someone else to write the report soon.
    d Iíll go to the office and write the report soon.

5) Iíve been snowed under at work recently.

a Itís been very busy at my work.
    b The weather has been very bad.
    c Itís been very cold in the office.
    d My boss has been causing problems.

Complete these phrasal verbs. Choose the correct option.

6) My sister has recently taken ....... yoga as a hobby.

a on
    b over
    c in
    d up

7) Nadira and I are best friends; weíve always ........ on very well together.

a gone
    b got
    c done
    d took

8) Mum will leave us a meal to ........ up when we get home.

a heat
    b hot
    c make
    d work

9) Things are difficult for you now but Iím sure everything will ......... out OK in the end.

a break
    b pull
    c turn
    d stand

10) The writer puts ......... some very interesting ideas in this article.

a away
    b on
    c up
    d forward

Thanks

I know a few sites, I'll post later.
    ♫ Elektrisk, elelektrisk, sŚ elektriskókšnner pulsen slŚ!
    Ei sanota elšmšlle ei!

Thanks

Hint about one of these questions: One of these questions does not have a 100% correct choice of verb tense among the answers. But the correct answer is a common British-English expression, an informal use of verb tense.

If anyone can figure out what I'm referring to, you can claim extra credit on your score

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jandros For This Useful Post:
    Orwa (02-28-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    Hint about one of these questions: One of these questions does not have a 100% correct choice of verb tense among the answers. But the correct answer is a common British-English expression, an informal use of verb tense.

If anyone can figure out what I'm referring to, you can claim extra credit on your score
    LOL Jandros, I did try to point out what you are referring to, but I could not actually, the extra credit isn't mine at all, I believe it is too difficult for me, but if cheating is allowed (As always), I may ask someone about it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    I know a few sites, I'll post later.
    I would be thanksful for this, for real

Thanks

Hm...

My answers would be the same as Orwa's except
    8. a) heat
    10. d) forward

And the question with no correct answer might be number 7. where the answer should be b) got, but.. not really because even the right tense (gotten on well) would sound wrong.. so, probably:
    we’ve always gotten along very well (with each other)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Spring For This Useful Post:
    Orwa (02-28-2010)

Thanks

So are my answers wrong?? on number 8, 10 & 7??? oh guys, I thought I did it well

I'll come back with another one, every somedays I need to make one

Thanks

Spring is right, but 7. is got.
    ♫ Elektrisk, elelektrisk, sŚ elektriskókšnner pulsen slŚ!
    Ei sanota elšmšlle ei!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast