Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up English competition & tests

Dear ATL members,

I thought we would make kind of a competition in ATL for english (vocablury, listening & grammar), i thought i will go as the following:

The week has 7 days, so we can announce the test on monday & give 5 days answering, and the rest of days in the week (weekend's days) could be for giving the results for each person, actually for this hard job I couldn't find in the whole ATL people who might help without saying 'no' except the members (Or professors? ) "Istanbulgal" & "Jandros", so i think they are the best people to do that..., well, I know they are very busy & i know & i know, but it is all to announce a test & later on the weekend they will only correct the answers & say the results, what do you think?, Istanbulgal & Jandros?, I thought we could make them "three" teachers but in my ages in the site i couldn't find someone who is very able to help as you do.

Rules:

1- No cheating.
    2- No cheating.
    3- No cheating.
    4- We will have 5 days answering the questions, during these days no one is allowed to post anything, we all can post our answers here in this thread after any of Istanbulgal or Jandros closes the time, but please nobody edits her/his answers after the closing time because it will really lose its beauty
    5- The teachers are able to edit any rule they want.
    6- No english questions will be asked here, all questions & related things will be at Questions about English language & grammar

7- The person #1 who gets the highest score will help "Istanbulgal" & "Jandros" in giving the score, i think this will make it much easier, right?
    8- as i mentioned there will be 'vocablury, listening & grammar, as for the vocabluries & the grammar, "Istanbulgal" & "Jandros" will pick them from any quizes the want, it doesn't a matter, but as for the listening, it will be a little article from anywhere & it will be voice only & we have to write down what we hear, for this one i'll handle it & search for convirsations.
    9- at these days i want some opinions, if you all like it, we will start it from next monday & close it on friday, if it is not very good idea, we will just ignore it , or at least will keep it for myself & get tests for myself.
    10- These are the things in my mind, but any opinion is super super welcome

Well, what do you all think?

Mr. O
    Last edited by Orwa; 12-07-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orwa For This Useful Post:
    El raisa (12-19-2009),Loca-por-Ba!le (02-22-2010),LoOlya (12-08-2009),xiurell (12-08-2009)

Syrian-Turkish Moderator LoOlya's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 1,100 Posts

Thanks Orwa for your AMAZING idea!!
    I was thinking about something like that to improve my english..
    I'll be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa
    Istanbulgal & Jandros?, I thought we could make them "three" teachers but in my ages in the site i couldn't find someone who is very able to help as you do.
    I'd like to suggest cameron888 to be the third professor.
    What do you think ?
    Syria ♥
    لّا إِلَهَ إِلاَّ أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
    Suriyeli damarımda Trk kanı akıyor.

Thanks

ohhh ok.. count me in... let see what happens...
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 706 Posts

from my side i see this an outstanding idea dear orwitto-san
    you always came up with delightful ideas ..you rock man ..
    i wish you all the best and luck in this thread
    coz this idea will help many members to improve thier english
    including me ofcaurse

i am an addicted to quizes since long time so cannot wait to see the test and the questions
    good luck again (thumbs up )

Thanks

Good idea Orwa, you can count on me too, I really need to improve my English
    I promise not kidding

Thanks

Great idea Orwa! I know I haven't been around lately, but I'd love to help, so if you need a third teacher, I'd be glad to donate my time.
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'ave tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

Thanks

Hmm..sounds good !!

Well if my opinion counts orwie san i would have a suggestion ! But I'll pm it to you !

Great idea , this will help u and others improve their english skills ! Who knows it might help me too

i will ask the teachers if they think i need improvements also ?
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

Thanks

I'm in, but for sure my results will be regrettable
    "La tolerancia de los ideales ajenos es virtud suprema en los que piensan." - Jos Ingenieros

Thanks

sounds interesting! If you guys need/want more helpers let me know!
    Por los cuentos que la luna relata, aprend a caminar sin mapa...

Thanks

I think it would be necessary, because both of them, Jandros and Istanbulgal are very busy, and I think they won't be available 100%. I really think all the help that can be given is welcome =D. So if DeBaires, you and cameron888 want to help, it would be great.
    Just let's ask it to the Boss, Orwa, he might be interested =D.
    "La tolerancia de los ideales ajenos es virtud suprema en los que piensan." - Jos Ingenieros

Thanks

Hello & Thank you all for supporting

Well, now we are still waiting for Istanbulgal & Jandros opinion because Instabulgal is in a business trip & jandros is busy with his working but i hope we will meet the both in the weekend

Actually i received a little complain from Istanbulgal that the job is very difficult so i thought we would change the rules & this will make it "much" easier for them both but i yet didn't show them these rules.

1-It is very hard job collecting questions from the internet & i put myself in their place it needs at least two hours counting some good questions, so i thought the collecting questions point will be by the one who gets 1st place, whoever gets 1st will be 3rd professor & his/her job to make the entire test & show it to Jandros & Istanbulgal if they want to make some edits or such, what do you think?

2-It is also very hard to re-correct each one's test, so we can make it just like....., Istanbulgal and/or Jandros and/or the 1st winner would close the test & put their answers & depend on it we all will correct ourselves & everyone puts his/her result & when there's any question will be all in the "english questions" thread, also what would you say??

As for Mr. Diego & CorazonInquieto, you're two welcome too, we only need actually two teacher who are Jandros & Istanbulgal, and the 3rd will be 1st person who gets the highest score...., but i'll think how we would involve you in the thread & thanks for offering the help

@LoOlya, actually the ones who participates here are known by all of us, or at least i know them all 'very' well, but for Cameroon888, i never heard of her & also pay close attention that the point is 'never' natives only, nah, we have lots of natives in ATL but no one is like Istanbulgal or Jandros & you will see if they agree to handle this job

@Mares, as a trusted person & full of opinions, tell me, what is your opinion about the other natives & also everyone is welcomed to suggest anything.

PS.
    @Istanbulgal & Jandros, i hope we would give a try for one test & then decide what do you think, and as i said you two are kind of bosses, so you can edit/add/change any rule you want.

All the best & thanks for the support, my dear friends
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Thanks

THANK YOU SO Much Orwie.... u know for what .

Thanks

Sounds good!
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

Thanks

So only people who's English isn't that good can take the quiz? Because I'd like to participate as well

Thanks

Anyone can participate PameLaa

Thanks

Hi everyone ... wow, it's really nice to see such enthusiasm!!

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days, but work has been busier than usual and I've not been feeling well ... just a head cold, but it's been extremely unpleasant and very tiring .....

We need to discuss this topic a little more, for multiple reasons. First (and most immediate), this time of year can be incredibly busy for me (and others), with 3-4 big holidays close together... travel, visits with families and friends, dinners and celebrations (work and home) ... plus planning for all of that ...

But I also think that something new here every week is a little too much ... maybe every 3 weeks, or more? ... considering that this involves personal time ...

But again, in short, all of this needs a little more discussion ... please be patient, more to follow pronto .....

PS: DeBaires amigo, gracias por querer ayudar, y pienso que lo necesitaremos
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

PS: DeBaires amigo, gracias por querer ayudar, y pienso que lo necesitaremos [/QUOTE]

Jaja, me daria mucho gusto!

Thanks

Orwie: the idea is good, however, I believe that you should be in charge of the thread with the help of other non-native players. There is no need for natives and/or fluent speakers under this thread because there is already an English thread where answers are given by Jandros, Mares, the Nuttyone and I.

This thread, as I understand it, is for the purpose of improving your English skills through tests & so I think it is more suitable to non-natives only as naturally natives/fluent speakers would score higher all the time. I would suggest the following:

1. players take turn in posting the tests,
    2. only one person posts the results (whoever finishes first for example),
    3. discuss the incorrect answers amongst yourselves & help each other out,
    4. if you don't know the answer & need help, Orwa or person posting the test can ask the questions under the English thread and that is where Jandros, I and others can contribute.

I believe it will be more efficient this way.

Good luck, it sounds like a lot of fun, you could start with the last test that was posted under the English thread.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks

Hi all. I don't have much time today ... I need to go out and "rescue" a family member's computer from disaster ... so this will be brief:

Istanbulgal, I concur 100% with your recommendations ... basically, anyone can post a test, and then the results/problems/questions can be discussed here ... and if more help is needed, specific questions can be quoted in the "Help with English" topic, for detailed discussion.

I think that will allow us to keep the focus of "expert assistance" within a single topic. It can also help to prevent clutter in the main "Help with English" topic. We will also have this separate topic as a repository for tests, which can sometimes create very long posts and many more pages.

Of course we can also monitor this thread and offer occasional assistance if something gets too confusing.

So there we are. Does this sound agreeable to everyone?
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

Thanks

I'm on board with that.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast