Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up Most useful language and hardest language

Which language do you like most and which language is hardest to learn..
    Post your thoughts here please..
    Last edited by DonDanny; 12-10-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonDanny View Post
    I'd have to say that currently my favorite languages are Romanian & ASL (American Sign Language). They are also the two that have been hardest for me to learn, haha.

As for the most useful, I'd have to say English & Spanish.
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avìe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

Thanks

Thank you DeBaires, please tell me more about
    ASL (American Sign Language).

Thanks

Well, it's a language for Deaf people using just the upper body (mostly the hands) & facial expressions. Each country that uses sign language has their own type, different from any other country's, although some things are similar between the languages.

It's very interesting & very useful to know at my university because it's one of the top schools in the U.S. for Deaf Studies.
    Last edited by DeBaires; 12-23-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avìe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

Thanks

OK thank you and I like your attitude towards your University

Thanks
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonDanny View Post
    Hi! Welcome on board

The language I like most is arabic (followed by italian).

The one I've found hardest to learn is japanese... and I agree with DeBaires that spanish and english are the most useful.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Thanks

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite language. Even though I studied Asian languages for many years (I don't find them so hard anymore because I'm used to them), I think my favorite is Russian.

I also really love Estonian (which I'm still learning), but I think it's very hard for a native English speaker to learn. Finnish looks even harder to me, although it's similar.

So, favorite... Russian. Hardest... Estonian (or Finnish).

It's hard to say what's most useful, because it depends on what area of the world you live in, or what you plan to do in life. Where I am, I think Spanish would be most useful, followed by French.
    Vanad teksad ja kitarr...
    Nad on mul kġik, mida vajan nüüd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Hi! Welcome on board

The language I like most is arabic (followed by italian).

The one I've found hardest to learn is japanese... and I agree with DeBaires that spanish and english are the most useful.
    I must second to my friend in this... the language I like most and found hardest to learn is Arabic and followed by Turkish ...

and also agree with DeBaires & Citlalli .... English is for me the most useful ... I can talk to almost anyone in the world.... and of course my mother tongue.. Spanish ... one of the most spoken languages in the world (I think that among the 5 most spoken) ...
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Thanks

Turkish is the easiest language in the world.
    But only for the Turks )
    Şehitler Ölmez,Vatan Bölünmez

Thanks

I think the most useful language is english.

I could imagine that chinese or japanese must be really hard to learn as they have ac ompletelly different way of writing and I have heard that words change their meaning due to the way they are spoken.

Thanks

yes I am kidding
    English must be useful because of spoken by too many people around the world
    but never be nice,extensive,fluent and poetic as my beautiful Turkish

anlamadığım nokta şu,yabancılar neye dayanarak Türkçe çok zor diyor ?yani sonuçta herkesin anadili dışındaki diller kendisine zor gelecektir.

Thanks

haklılar birşey diyemeyeceğim.
    ben de ingilizce çoğul yapma olayı ile ilk karşılaştığımda "bu da ne ?"dedim.

bir kitap : a book ,one book
    iki kitap: two books
    üç kitap:three books

yani şimdi Türkçe ve mantıklı düşününce zaten 2 deyince birden fazla kitap olduğu anlamı var.bunlar bir de "kitap"ı çoğul yapıyor. o zaman ki anlayışıma göre "iki kitaplar" "üç kitaplar" gibi birşey çıkıyordu ortaya benim için ve çok saçma geliyordu.onlarında Türkçeyi tuhaf bulması gayet normal.

Thanks

Hey ciyo37 and Milena, please post your thoughts in English..
    Thank You..
    Bye..

Thanks

First of all I adore Italiano <3 so it's the best language in the world for me also like Greek French and Finnish.. (hope to learn them as soon as possible)

Arabic and Chinese must b hardest ones to learn in my opinion

Thanks

The most important language is education in any language!

There is no debating that English is the most important language in the world with respect to business, science, technology, etc.

From a cultural & linguistic perspective, ALL languages are unique & fascinating (though not necessarily easy to learn nor pleasing to the ear as some have an extremely harsh & heavy sound).

By far & for me personally, the most musical & beautiful language in the world is Italian.

The most difficult languages according to the opinion of many around the world, are: Hungarian & Japanese.

Assuming Wikipedia is up to date, the most widely spoken languages are:

Mandarin, Spanish, English, Hindi/Urdu & Arabic. (Great, I speak 2 out of 5).
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to istanbulgal For This Useful Post:
    Orwa (12-31-2009),Spring (01-08-2010),Zaya (07-21-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    The most important language is education in any language!

There is no debating that English is the most important language in the world with respect to business, science, technology, etc.

From a cultural & linguistic perspective, ALL languages are unique & fascinating (though not necessarily easy to learn nor pleasing to the ear as some have an extremely harsh & heavy sound).

By far & for me personally, the most musical & beautiful language in the world is Italian.

The most difficult languages according to the opinion of many around the world, are: Hungarian & Japanese.

Assuming Wikipedia is up to date, the most widely spoken languages are:

ahh my dear Istanbulgal.. your post are always so interesting to read ...

.. and from the most spoken languages.. yeeeiii I also speak 2 out 5 .. and understand a little bit of Arabic ...
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Thanks

From the most spoken languages I only speak 1 out of 5.

The most useful language is English of course.

The hardest languages for me are probably Asian languages but I don't speak any of them.

From the language that I learn the hardest one for me is Georgian. But I love that language especially the script.

And I love the sound of Romanian language but I don't speak it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tahira View Post
    I could imagine that chinese or japanese must be really hard to learn as they have ac ompletelly different way of writing and I have heard that words change their meaning due to the way they are spoken.
    It's Chinese you're thinking of - there are four tones and neutral tone. It's not too bad, though, because even native Chinese will understand what you're saying in context. Lesser-known asian languages like Hmong are much harder - it has seven tones and a neutral tone.

I don't know if anyone else here is familiar with the finnic languages (like Estonian and Finnish), but I just want to give an example of why it's so difficult. Estonian has 14 noun declensions, and Finnish has 16 - this eliminates the use of basic prepositions, but it means you have to remember how to transform each word into the right form when you're speaking. In addition, Estonian nouns have four different forms before the declensions/endings are added, so you have to know which one to use when. Verbs also have three different forms that are used at different times.

It makes it challenging, and a little frustrating. But I can't stop loving it!
    Vanad teksad ja kitarr...
    Nad on mul kġik, mida vajan nüüd

Senior Member Dangerous & Moving's Avatar
    Thanks

I also think that english is the most useful language at the moment.
    Latin or ancient greek may also be very useful when learning other european languages.

Personally for me, the most beautiful language is my other tongue croatian. Reason? Naturally, I can express myself the best in it, it's very rich, it has lots of dialects and also very interesting but hard and complicated grammar.

My other favorite language is russian, I fell in love with it when I was 13 and now that love is as strong as the first day, especially because I've decided to specialize myself in it and so I'm studying it in the university along with italian which I also love

I can speak some spanish thanks to mexican soap operas and music, and I also love that language, my favorite version is castellano, spoken in Spain.

Recently I fell in love with greek, and started to learn it by myself, I have to say it's pretty hard to learn something independently but thanks to my greek friends I succeed. And from January I'm starting to learn it in the university as an additional subject. Of course I'm talking about modern greek.

I can't say which language is the hardest or the easiest in general but for me, maybe the hardest is greek for now. Russian is pretty easy for me as it's so similar to croatian, and that makes things very easy.

Languages I'd like to speak one day are greek, finnish, romanian and maybe hebrew. Actually as much languages as possible
    ''Glupost je sama u sebe zaljubljena i njeno je samoljublje bezgranično.''

''Siamo niente senza fantasie''

''Наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте''

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    I want to just say one thing is that Chinese isn't difficult at all, i thought of that before i study it but it was MUCH easier than Arabic, the letters are around 50 & you will use them in writing other words, as in english the word "How" contains three letters, the Chinese contains some charcthers together in one characther & so on , but from my opinion & only my opinion, it sounds 'ugly'

I speak 3 out of 5 & who can forget that i know some Spanish , so Arabic, English & Mandarin & some spanish
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast