Vasilke Mlada Nevesto: do I have the lyrics right?

Thread: Vasilke Mlada Nevesto: do I have the lyrics right?

Tags: None
  1. Antsmall said:

Talking Vasilke Mlada Nevesto: do I have the lyrics right?

Hello! I transliterated these lyrics from a taped copy of a record by the 'Branko Milenovic Yugoslavi Ansambl' probably made in the sixties or seventies. Here is the result of my attempt:

Vasilke, Mlada Nevesto. (Branko Milenovic Ansambl version).

Vasilke mlada nevesto, zošto se mlada omaži
    Zošto se mlada omaži, zošto se kletva podkaži
    Zošto se kletva podkaži, zošto me mene ostavi.

Pomneš li, milo libe, znaeš li, koga se dvaitsa ljubet me
    Koga se dvaitsa ljubet me, ljubet me libe kolonet me
    Ljubet me libe kolonet me, do droba da se ljubi me.

Dodeka beše, libe, devojka, milo mi beše seloto
    Milo mi beše seloto, i tvojte, Vaske, komšiji
    I tvojte, Vaske, komšiji, i tvojta pârva rodnina.

Ot koga se, milo libe, omaži, ne mi e milo seloto
    Ne mi e milo seloto, ni tvojte, Vaske, komšiji
    Ni tvojte, Vaske, komšiji, ni tvojte pârvi rodnini.

Can someone please tell me if the lyrics are at least linguistically correct? For instance does the word 'dvaitsa' mean something and does it seem to fit with the rest of the line? I'd be very grateful if anyone could correct any errors and make sure the lyrics are correct.

By the way, I don't know who sings this in the version I have, because I only have a tape copied from the record, and the names of the performers were only on the record.

Thank you very very much! -Ants.

2. folklorist said:

In Cyrillic:
    Василке млада невесто, зошто се млада омажи?
    Зошто се млада омажи, зошто си клетва подгази?
    Зошто си клетва подгази, зошто ме мене остави?

Помнеш ли, мило либе, знаеш ли
    кога се двајца љубевме, кога се двајца љубевме,
    љубевме, либе, колневме
    љубевме, либе, колневме
    до гроба да се љубиме.

Додека беше, либе, девојка,
    мило ми беше селото, мило ми беше селото,
    и твојте, Васке, комшии, и твојте, Васке, комшии,
    и твојта прва роднина.

Откога се мило либе омажи,
    не ми е мило селото, не ми е мило селото,
    ни твојте, Васке, комшии, ни твојте, Васке, комшии,
    ни твојте први роднини.

In Latin:
    Vasilke mlada nevesto, zoshto se mlada omazhi?
    Zoshto se mlada omazhi, zoshto si kletva podgazi?
    Zoshto si kletva podgazi, zoshto me mene ostavi?

Pomnesh li, milo libe, znaesh li
    koga se dvajca ljubevme, koga se dvajca ljubevme,
    ljubevme, libe, kolnevme
    ljubevme, libe, kolnevme
    do groba da se ljubime.

Dodeka beshe, libe, devojka,
    milo mi beshe seloto, milo mi beshe seloto,
    i tvojte, Vaske, komshii, i tvojte, Vaske, komshii,
    i tvojta prva rodnina.

Otkoga se milo libe omazhi,
    ne mi e milo seloto, ne mi e milo seloto,
    ni tvojte, Vaske, komshii, ni tvojte, Vaske, komshii,
    ni tvojte prvi rodnini.

I'd like to translate you but my english is very weak... by the way this song is on youtube by Vaska Ilieva, I think the oldest recorded so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efEJA5sbFVU

3. Antsmall said:

Smile

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me! It's almost impossible to be entirely sure about having interpreted the sounds correctly in a song whose language one does not know (especially when the recording is old and many of the consonants are covered up by instrumental sounds). Now I can be sure that if any Macedonians come to see my band playing, they won't be horrified by my pronunciation. By the way, if you do want to provide any sort of translation, please don't worry about making mistakes in English. It's a foreign language for you, so nobody is going to judge you for making a few mistakes. I'd love to know what the song means, although I can vaguely discern that it is something about Vasilka, the young bride, being asked if she cares about her village and her first townsfolk - or something. Any other details are basically a mystery to me though; I can only make out individual words like 'young' and 'girl' and 'both' and 'do you think, do you understand' (pomnesh, znaesh).

Thanks for your help and good luck in all your pursuits - Ants.

lopatka said:

Василке млада невесто, зошто се млада омажи?
    - Vasilke, young bride, why did you marry when you were young?
    Зошто се млада омажи, зошто си клетва подгази?
    - why did you marry while you were young, why did you trample upon your vow?
    Зошто си клетва подгази, зошто ме мене остави?
    - why did you trample upon your vow, why did you leave me?

Помнеш ли, мило либе, знаеш ли
    - do you remember, my dear love, do you know
    кога се двајца љубевме, кога се двајца љубевме,
    - when we were loving each other, when we were loving each other
    љубевме, либе, колневме
    - we were loving each other, my love, we were vowing
    љубевме, либе, колневме
    - we were loving each other, my love, we were vowing
    до гроба да се љубиме.
    - to love each other till grave

Додека беше, либе, девојка,
    - while you were, my love, a maiden
    мило ми беше селото, мило ми беше селото,
    - the village was dear to me, the village was dear to me,
    и твојте, Васке, комшии, и твојте, Васке, комшии,
    - and your, Vaske, neighbours, and your, Vaske, neighbours
    и твојта прва роднина.
    - and your first kin.

Откога се мило либе омажи,
    - since you, dear love, married
    не ми е мило селото, не ми е мило селото,
    - the village is not dear to me, the village is not dear to me
    ни твојте, Васке, комшии, ни твојте, Васке, комшии,
    - nor your, Vaske, neighbours, nor your, Vaske, neighbours
    ни твојте први роднини.
    - nor your first kin
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

5. Antsmall said:

Smile

Oh dear - this song is much more tragic than I had thought! I hadn't realised that there was a specific victim (the previous lover) involved. How sad.

Thank you very much for taking the time to translate this. I appreciate it. Now I'll know what I'm singing! Thank you thank you -Ants.

Tina`bambina said:

Antsmall, where r u from?u're english is amazing!It's interesting to me when somebody's intrigued of that music.I'm not from Macedonia but from Bulgaria and our folklores are very closed.

7. Antsmall said:

Talking

I'm half Italian and half Scots, so I am a native speaker of English and Italian. I was born and brought up in Italy but I never lost my English. I speak some other languages too, and in general I am interested in learning new languages though I have to wait until I finish my studies because I don't have time to concentrate on that now! I sing in a Balkan band (we play music from many regions in the Balkans) and I have been in several other Balkan bands in the past. I've never been to Bulgaria or Macedonia though I have been to Greece. I've always liked Balkan music (and also other forms of traditional music) and even when I was a small child I used to listen to my father's collection of traditional music from around the world. This was before 'world music' was popular or was even called 'world music', so I never thought, at that time, that I would ever have a chance to perform this music or find anyone else who was interested in it! I used to sing these songs by myself, without knowing what the words meant. I am very happy to have found other people who are interested in this music and even willing to learn it and play it! As I said, we play music from all over the Balkans, includng Bulgaria, so I've had a chance to play a fair number of Bulgarian songs! -Ants.

Tina`bambina said:

Sounds excitingIf sometimes u need some bulgarian translation,i will be glad to help u

9. Antsmall said:

Wink

Thanks very much! I might have to take you up on that offer at some point. Sometimes we (the band) get versions of songs which are not reliable at all, or sometimes we just have to try to discern the lyrics from listening to recordings. I'm always happy to have a chance to know that I'm singing something correct, and not a bunch of gibberish! Thank you thank you. -Ants.

lopatka said:

Quote Originally Posted by Antsmall View Post
    Oh dear - this song is much more tragic than I had thought! I hadn't realised that there was a specific victim (the previous lover) involved. How sad.

Thank you very much for taking the time to translate this. I appreciate it. Now I'll know what I'm singing! Thank you thank you -Ants.
    You're welcome, it was easy to translate, unlike most of the folk songs :] Quite many of them are sad ;]
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

11. Antsmall said:

By the way, the version of the song in the YouTube video (performed by Vaska Ilieva) is exactly the one I have. I recorded it on tape (the tape is now getting old) from an old record called 'Branko Milenovic Jugoslavi Ansambl', and it had that same exact picture on the cover! I used to listen to it when I was a small child when I visited my grandmother, who had randomly brought it back from a trip to Yugoslavia before I was born. I used to sing the songs as best I could, without knowing what the words meant, and probably without pronouncing them correctly. Then at one point the war in Yugoslavia started, and I said to my grandmother as we listened to the old record, 'why do they fight if they have such nice music? why can't they just play music together?' (ok, I was a small child, and I don't mean to offend anyone, since I am neither a military historian nor a person from that region, so I cannot understand the reasons behind that war). Anyway, it's so surprising to find 'my' ancient recording of the song on the internet, when for many years I never thought I would find anyone else who knew about this type of music or cared about it. (I grew up in Italy and nobody, nobody, listened to this music except me). I am so happy to have a chance to sing these songs and find other people who are interested in them. I never thought that would happen. I did, however, make people cry when I sang my version of 'Mlad Bulju Basa' at my school talent show when I was thirteen! Nobody knew what it was but it made them emotional. Anyway, thanks to all of your for your time and help! -Ants.