Somebody knows this quote???

Thread: Somebody knows this quote???

Tags: None

Giftaki said:

Question Somebody knows this quote???

Someone told me that "tipote telioteron tou aplou" means "nothing is more perfect than simple". And also that this is a modern greek translation of ancient greek " miden agan"written in Apollo temple in Delphi... Now as I searched around a little bit I see that "miden agan" means "nothing in excess". So is there other ancient quotation meaning " nothing is more perfect that simple" ???

Euxaristo,

kalo vradi se olous

panselinos said:

Never heard of such a quote. According to the Pythagoreans, nothing is more perfect than the cosmos. And Pericles said: "we are lovers of the beautiful, yet with simplicity".

As for "Μηδέν άγαν" ("Meden agan"), in Modern Greek it would be "Tίποτα σε υπερβολή" ("Tipota se ipervoli").
    It's funnier in Enochian

Giftaki said:

And Pericles said: "we are lovers of the beautiful, yet with simplicity". I like this one Can you write it in greek for me???

As for the quote goes, thanx for answering, I was searching too, and didnt find nothing similar... Looks like somebody was trying to impress me when I asked what is the meaning of Miden agan but didnt really know it...or maybe that is what he understood of it... anyway...I like it,...
    Nothing IS more perfect then simple.

Ετσι, δεν ειναι???

panselinos said:

Ancient or Modern?

Φιλοκαλοῦμέν τε γὰρ μετ' εὐτελείας καὶ φιλοσοφοῦμεν ἄνευ μαλακίας

(In case you can't see the diacritics properly, here it is again, in the modern monotonic system: Φιλοκαλούμεν τε γάρ μετ΄ευτελείας και φιλοσοφούμεν άνευ μαλακίας"

English: "For we are lovers of the beautiful, yet simple in our tastes, and we cultivate the mind without loss of manliness."

Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War, "Funeral Oration of Pericles"
    Translated by Benjamin Jowett, Clarendon Press, 1900

In Modern Greek: Γιατί είμαστε λάτρεις του ωραίου, όμως χωρίς σπατάλη χρήματος, και καλλιεργούμε το πνεύμα χωρίς να χάνουμε την ανδρεία μας.

And here's another English translation: "Our love of what is beautiful does not lead to extravagance; our love of the things of the mind does not makes us soft".
    Translated by Rex Warner, Penguin Books, 1954

Modern Greek: Η αγάπη μας για το ωραίο δεν μας οδηγεί σε υπερβολή και η αγάπη μας για τα πνευματικά δεν μας κάνει μαλθακούς.
    It's funnier in Enochian

Giftaki said:

Euxaristo para poli, ....

To agapimeno mou omos einai :

Ὢ ξείν’, ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῆδε κείμεθα τοὶς κείνων ρήμασι πειθόμενοι.

go tell the spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie

kalo sas vradi