SOLVED: Help: Late 80's Reggae Track. Possibly by The Mighty Diamonds

Thread: SOLVED: Help: Late 80's Reggae Track. Possibly by The Mighty Diamonds

Tags: None

Skinno said:

Default SOLVED: Help: Late 80's Reggae Track. Possibly by The Mighty Diamonds

Hi,
    I've just come across this site and this is my first posting to the forum.
    I am desperately trying to find a reggae track that I have been looking for now for about 20 or so years.
    It was possibly released (if at all) between approximately 1988 - 1991.
    I heard it years ago on the sadly defunct Leeds pirate reggae radio station RCR and taped it. Sadly I no longer have the tape either and it's becoming a distant memory.
    The track was an upbeat reggae number (not dub) with quite a steady bubblin' beat to it and the initial vocals were something like:
    "See that man....standing on the corner..."
    then I think the lyrics: "gotta wife 'n kids..." were also in there somewhere (though I could be wrong). The vocals definitely had some harmony to them.
    At the end of the track, the DJ actually said "That was by the mighty, Mighty Diamonds...", which obviously led me to believe that it was indeed The Mighty Diamonds who sang it, BUT...after years of searching for the track, I can't find anyone who knows anything about it.
    I do have many Mighty Diamonds tracks and it could well be a track that I have overlooked by not knowing the proper title. I just thought it may be called 'Standing On The Corner" but it doesn't seem to exist.
    I have checked the Discogs (website) database for Mighty Diamonds releases and am still at a loss.
    It's definitely NOT the track 'Idlers Corner" that they released with Gregory Isaacs.

I know there isn't a great deal of info to work with here but if anyone has any info whatsoever about this track then I would be eternally grateful. After searching all these years, it's driving me mad.
    Many thanks in advance:
    Skinno
    Last edited by Skinno; 04-08-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Solved

2. Claybricks said:

Since you're not really sure of the lyrics, try these songs...

Inner Circle - Man Standing On The Corner {1990}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4TkdDlHQwo

View From The Hill - On The Corner {1987}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C1BIHIwYoM

Dan

Skinno said:

Hi Dan,
    Many thanks for your thread reply, much appreciated.
    Sadly, neither of those tracks are the one that I am looking for.
    The Inner Circle track is the more similar one as far as the beat of the song goes, yet I recall the track I am looking for has a VERY slightly more uptempo beat to it.
    Thanks for taking the time to help.
    Cheers.
    "We'll be, as we are - when all the fools who doubt us fade away"

Skinno said:

Bump....
    Anyone else any ideas at all?
    I really dont wanna still be searching for this for another 20 years. Aaaaargh!! LOL

atmaestro said:

I wasn't able to find the song. The attached link will let you listen to 30-second samples of the Mighty Diamonds' songs.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...qq5ldte~1~T31C
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

6. RUDEBWOY371 said:

I know the song you are talking about, i have it on a coxone tape, i've been searching for this song for years, if you find it let me know or if u want i can tell u the words to this song (see that man standing on the corner he's got a wife and kids and bills to pay at home,he's trying hard real hard to make it, you on the inside are holding his hand trying to break it)

Skinno said:

OH MY GOD. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!
    At last, after all these years, someone atually knows what I am talking about.
    Thats IT, thats the track.
    Do you know the correct title and if it is by The Mighty Diamonds?
    Anything would be helpul - lyrics - anything at all. Those few lyrics you typed were definitely the ones that I remember from the track.
    Excuse my ignorance but what is a coxone tape?
    Many thanks.

8. RUDEBWOY371 said:

The song is by the mighty diamonds and coxsone is a sound system from england,i don't know the name of the song but i'm still searching for it

Skinno said:

Thanks again RUDEBWOY371 for replying. please let me know if you manage to find the track or even the name. I will do the same also if I do and let you know.
    Many thanks.

Skinno said:

Almost 5 years after I started this thread, I finally found the track I was looking for.
    It IS by The Mighty Diamonds and is called "Wah Do Yuh So"
    Here's an audio-link to the track:
    http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/H1shixDD/file.html

11. RUDEBWOY371 said:

Thanks you for finally finding that song,I almost gave up on trying to find it, I even ask the mighty diamonds about and they didn't remember it so now my search is finally over.

Skinno said:

Quote Originally Posted by RUDEBWOY371 View Post
    Thanks you for finally finding that song,I almost gave up on trying to find it, I even ask the mighty diamonds about and they didn't remember it so now my search is finally over.
    Hi there,
    Yeah, it took me almost 30 years in total. I would be interested in why The Mighty Diamonds couldn't remember the track too. Despite not knowing the title for all this time, it's without question the most memorable track of theirs that I've heard and the one that stuck in my head all this time.
    It's not even that rare. There are 6 of them for sale on Discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/Mighty-Diamon...elease/3448868

I'm glad the track was finally identified. It's been the longest search I've ever had