Questions to some changes

Thread: Questions to some changes

Tags: None
  1. Apostolos said:

Red face Questions to some changes

Hi, i have several questions

1) What does μπορεί mean?

2) i would like to know why the verb for περπατάει for a another person would change into περπατήσει? I don't know if it has anything to do with the verb I mentioned above.
    Αυτός μπορεί να κολυμπήσει/ Αυτός μπορεί να περπατήσει.

3) What does φάει mean?
    Αυτός δεν μπορεί να φάει στο βιβλιοθήκη;

4) What is δουν?
    Αυτοί δεν μπορούν να δουν;

5) What is να παρώ?
    Μπορώ να παρώ το τρένο;

Sorry for the questions but I want to perfect my Greek. I looked up the words in the dictionary but I have a feeling that those words change with the verb.

geomac said:

Hi, Apostolos!

1) μπορεί =

1. it is possible / it may/might be possible / probably
    2. she/he/it can/may (third person singular in present indicative of the verb ,,μπορώ" = be able / can / bear / support / stand)

2) περπατάει is third person singular of present indicative of the verb περπατάω = I walk;

να περπατήσει is third person singular of subjunctive aorist mood of the same verb περπατάω

Αυτός μπορεί να κολυμπήσει/ Αυτός μπορεί να περπατήσει.
    He can swim / He can walk

Here you can see all tenses and moods of the verb:

http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/perpatao.html

3) Αυτός δεν μπορεί να φάει στο βιβλιοθήκη; = Could / could not he eat into library?

να φάει is third person singular of subjunctive aorist mood of the verb τρώω = I eat

http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/troo.html

4) Αυτοί δεν μπορούν να δουν; = Cannot they see?

να δουν is third person plural of subjunctive aorist mood of the verb βλέπω = Ι see.

http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/blepo.html

5) Μπορώ να παρώ το τρένο; = Can I take the the train?

να παρώ is first person singular of subjunctive aorist mood of the verb
    παίρνω = I get / I take

http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/pairno.html

geomac said:

verb κολυμπάω - swim

N.B.! These are only a few examples ; the uses and the meanings for this verb in present and aorist are much more; I just want for you to get and understand a difference between present subjunctive and subjunctive aorist

1. Subjunctive aorist :

aorist means an instant action and in the mind of the person the action is thought as already taken / already completed, regardless of the aorist is in the past, present or future tense ( I'm exhausted of those explanations! sorry!)

Αυτός μπορεί να κολυμπήσει= He is able to swim (as an acquired fact of being able to swim) ((action in the past , present or future)

2. Present subjunctive

Ο κόσμος μπορεί να κολυμπάει άφοβα = People can swim without any fear. (action in the past, present or future); it is used present subjunctive because the action has teoreticaly a long and endless duration - each year , for ever they can swim there , periodically)

Here people who know to swim are told that they can / are allowed to swim without any fear in that place.

N.B. I repeat that in other sentences and in other contexts the meanings might be slightly different! I just want for you to get to the point!

2 more examples:

1.subj.aorist

Aύριο θα κολυμπήσω. = Tomorrow I will swim ( instant action; the subject only want to tell us that she/he will swim - an action thought to be done into a plan of more different actions like to drink, to sleep ,to shop,etcetera) one shot, I would say

2. subj. present
    θα κολυμπάω κάθε μέρα = I will swim every day (repeated/continuous action) - action thought to be repeated so teoretically without any end
    Last edited by geomac; 02-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.

4. Apostolos said:

Thank you very much geomac!

geomac said:

you are wellcome

you will recognize the aorist stem looking to the end of the word:

the letters with whom the words of aorist are ending (instant, momentary) are mostly:

"σ" (the majority) and ,,ψ" (very often) then"ξ" (very often) and "-θ" or "-στ " (for deponent verbs) and ,,ν" "θ" ,,χ" ,,γ" ,,β" ,, λ" " ρ" (rare)

it is about the stem ending; because after the stem the personal endings follows .

i.e. in indicativ aorist -σα, -σες , -σε , -σαμε , -σατε, -σαν(ε)
    Last edited by geomac; 02-07-2010 at 01:19 AM.

geomac said:

I forgot to mention the stem for aorist in passive/middle voice:

the majority are ending in "" and "-στ"

then we may encounter also -χτ ; -φτ ,

geomac said:

Deponent verbs =

Verbs that are active in meaning but have passive endings