Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Thread: Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Tags: None

krityx said:

I think most people that emigrate are less educated than the average romanian here. Whenever I travel abroad and meet romanians they are usually uneducated and stupid and that just contributes to the bad reputation we have and for the most part deserve. that's why none of the romanians you met in scotland speak english. But here you can find people fluent in english, especially students. But that's somewhat normal as before they taught russian as a foreign language in schools. And in some villages they are still teaching it. I have a few students in my class that until high school they were taught russian in their village school and when they came to the city they didn't have a clue about english/french etc. That's mainly because of the lack of teachers in villages. everyone's moving to the city.

I was saying most romanian emigrants are uneducated and there are a lot of them here. It seems to have become a trend. Usually goes with darker skin, but everyone is now complacent in their own misery and stupidity and don't even want to go any higher, they want to stay that way because it's cool. I'm actually part of that generation and I have to say that 80% or more of the current romanian teenagers are idiots and that's a fact. It's strange to see so many people like you who actually want to learn something about our language/customs/whatever.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by countingstars View Post
    Hello there
    The main foreign language is English
    Usually, the second languages are French and German. Of course, there are exceptions too.
    Children start learning English in kindergarten or in the 1st year of school.
    That's really good. I didn't start learning French until I was in year 6 in primary school. Although I think the younger kids are now starting to learn foreign languages in their early years of primary school.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1978 View Post
    And Stevo, I also bought the Death of Mr L and was crying last night. Haha should not have watched it while I am sitting exams anyways. My boyfriend was more impressed by my purchase of Braveheart for him and 300 than the Romanian films......his English is improving rapidly. He has spent 2 years in Scotland with hardly any and then he met me in July and I have kind of moved him along a little. I would say he understands more than has a vocabulary for speaking. Sometimes we watch Romanian tv and he translates a lot of what is being said for me so he is getting there. I found it amazing that so many guys live here and don't speak the language. There is a whole community of Romanian people where I live who have limited communication. An example for you is they (my boyfriend and his housemates) wanted to have broadband installed in their house but no-one has enough English to make a call to the company, it is little things like this that add up to making a difficult time and stuff that you regard as being easy and normal, going to the bank, buying shoes etc....becomes difficult. I called for them of course and it is being installed on Sambata!! :-)

Ok back to my books.

La Revedere!!
    They said Death of Mr L was a black comedy. Is there any parts you laughed at or was it really sad?

What other movies did you buy?

How do you get Romanian TV over here?

I can imagine how hard it would be trying to do daily stuff such as the bank, shopping etc.
    It reminds me of my holiday in Tenerife when I was in the main city asking for a CD Tenerife football shirt. Noone I asked around the stadium knew English and I just had to nod, agree, say "gracias" and then go back to my parents in disappointment. Luckily we found a Spanish speaking Geordie who told us to go to a big department store. LOL

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by krityx View Post
    But that's somewhat normal as before they taught russian as a foreign language in schools. And in some villages they are still teaching it. I have a few students in my class that until high school they were taught russian in their village school and when they came to the city they didn't have a clue about english/french etc. That's mainly because of the lack of teachers in villages. everyone's moving to the city.
    I read somewhere on a volunteering site that offers teaching English in Braşov (I think) that English teachers usually go private because there's more money on offer and there's a lack of English teachers in schools because of it. Especially in villages.

I was saying most romanian emigrants are uneducated and there are a lot of them here. It seems to have become a trend. Usually goes with darker skin, but everyone is now complacent in their own misery and stupidity and don't even want to go any higher, they want to stay that way because it's cool.
    What's with the trend and darker skin?

It's strange to see so many people like you who actually want to learn something about our language/customs/whatever.
    What's so strange about it?

CJ1978 said:

Thanks Dya for the explanation of asa, I had kind of figured it a little. And as for being impressed with my attempts to learn Romanian my boyfriend generally just laughs at me when I get something wrong and then is delighted when I speak something that makes sense. The words for 50-50 were really something. Again I don't know how to spell it but jumi-juma is how I would try, he laughed his head off when I said this phrase in the right context. I think it must just sound alien to him to hear a Scotiana speaking his language. We have fun with it which is the main thing.

And Krity, thanks for your insight. However I must add that 2 of my friends who have little English are University educated, one a vet and the other a psychologist. And I myself, am at University studying medicine with no second language so maybe it does not follow that being uneducated with no 2nd language go hand in hand in certain circumstances. I like to give everyone a fair chance-we are all human and flesh and blood and equals, regardless of status, education or skin colour.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

And I myself, am at University studying medicine with no second language so maybe it does not follow that being uneducated with no 2nd language go hand in hand in certain circumstances. I like to give everyone a fair chance-we are all human and flesh and blood and equals, regardless of status, education or skin colour.
    Da. Exact.

slatka_mala said:

Hi. . Buna seara! Eu sunt Martina..
    I am so glad i find this site about Romanian language and translations..
    I am from Zagreb, Croatia. I study Romanian and phonetics on Faculty of Philosophy.. I am on second year and just can say that Romanian is so interesting and beautiful language and sometimes difficult .. This language is relatively new on our faculty so we have few teachers and some of them are not so competent. But we have one great teacher which is from Romania and she speaks just and only Romanian so this is the best way of studying language.. I can say that i started to adore this language..

This forum is really great, so if i have problems with my homework, essays or i don't know how to say something i can just ask..
    I hope i will find someone to talk Romanian and improve it.. and if someone knows some other sites or forums on Romanian please tell me..

I wish you a great weekend..
    Multe săruturi..

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

I'm not sure if someone else posted it on here or if I found it elsewhere but I've tried this site before and I think it's good for beginners.

http://www.digitaldialects.com/Romanian.htm

krityx said:

Quote Originally Posted by smfc_stevo_smfc View Post
    What's with the trend and darker skin?
    that's just me discriminating, nevermind.

What's so strange about it?
    Well, I guess I thought we were too unimportant to have other, i'd say better, cultures take interest in us. I certainly wouldn't give a damn if I were a Scot.

CJ I didn't call them uneducated because of them not knowing a 2nd language,I meant uneducated in general. But I do think that going to another country is a privilege and not a right and speaking at least a bit of their language is a must as a token of respect. How can you not hate what's going on in your country ? It's being invaded by imigrants who for the most part don't even have the decency of learning your language or don't even wish to integrate. Look at all the islam-related scandals in Britain.. You can't just stand and watch as they do what they do. That's just not the right attitude in my opinion.

10. dya said:

@CJ1978: Glad to help And I'm sure it's really funny for your boyfriend hearing you say jumi-juma which is a very colloquial expression and certainly something you wouldn't expect a foreigner to know

@slatka mala: yes, this is the right place to come and ask for help when you need it with our language Welcome!

@ krityx: try to help those who came here seeking for help with Romanian. As for discriminations and "too unimportant" and "uneducated" first of all they have no place in a learning Romanian thread and second of all they may be offensive for both Romanians and foreigners who come here. I think we all understood your opinion about Romania, generally speaking, now it's about time you understood the others' opinion on the matter and respect it.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Well, I guess I thought we were too unimportant to have other, i'd say better, cultures take interest in us. I certainly wouldn't give a damn if I were a Scot.
    Why do you think so negatively of your own culture? Give me some comparisons of how our culture is better...
    I believe that those from "better" cultures are probably too arrogant and ignorant to appreciate and try to understand other cultures such as your own if they consider yours unimportant.

How can you not hate what's going on in your country ? It's being invaded by imigrants who for the most part don't even have the decency of learning your language or don't even wish to integrate. Look at all the islam-related scandals in Britain.. You can't just stand and watch as they do what they do. That's just not the right attitude in my opinion.
    This comment I find interesting coming from someone from another country in reference to their fellow countrymen living in our country.
    Although I do think you have a good point about language as it is important to try and integrate and being able to communicate with natives.
    Last edited by smfc_stevo_smfc; 01-15-2010 at 05:16 PM.

CJ1978 said:

Hey again-seem to have generated a bit of a heated discussion here sorry about that, this is the last I will say on it. Krityx, I can understand what you mean about people coming here with no language, but look at it like this, in Britain we do it ALL the time. Mainly because we can and the world caters to English. And for that I am lucky but not presumptious.

I am interested in Romania mainly because my boyfriend is Romanian.

My opinion on people coming here with no language is that it must be a terrible situation to have to leave your family and friends and lives in your own country (which let's face it we all LOVE our OWN country) to come and live and work in a foreign land where and for this I have admiration. I don't think I could do it.

Dya, my friend Ana has taught me a lot of colloquial expressions I am thinking not ALL of them are good. But again that is not for this board. I shall return soon with more questions I am sure!! For now I am sitting an exam this morning! :-(

13. dya said:

My opinion on people coming here with no language is that it must be a terrible situation to have to leave your family and friends and lives in your own country (which let's face it we all LOVE our OWN country) to come and live and work in a foreign land where and for this I have admiration. I don't think I could do it.
    I totally agree with you on this one

As for the expressions your friend taught you, you should ask your boyfriend if they are good ones or bad ones and use them accordingly.

I hope the exam went well

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

For now I am sitting an exam this morning! :-(
    I've had the thought of moving to Romania once but it was quite a crazy, fantasy kind of thought. Like I'd first have to be able to speak and understand the language and obviously have a job and a house waiting for me. But even then it would be quite hard at first if I don't know anyone and was there myself.
    I'd still like to visit the country one day though. Like just to say that I've been there and experienced it for myself. A chance to use my Romanian if I do learn it and also to be able to see a different part of Europe from where I'd normally go on holiday.

I hope you did well in your exam.

Catalin said:

Hi to all. I have just stumbled into this..but I have to say I think it's a great thing. For a long time I used to think no one could be interested in learning this language- my language- which is a mix of latin, dacian, slavic, turkish, french andf so on..
    Good luck to Martina. Last year I spent four month in Scotland- for she I have only respect ( english speakers use ,,she,, when refering to boats...we use ,,she,, when refering to all kinds of thing, ussually very important ones, like tara=country, inima=heart) and in one occasion I met a croatian guy whith whom I had a few interesting disscutions.
    Catalin

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
    Hi to all. I have just stumbled into this..but I have to say I think it's a great thing. For a long time I used to think no one could be interested in learning this language- my language- which is a mix of latin, dacian, slavic, turkish, french andf so on..
    Good luck to Martina. Last year I spent four month in Scotland- for she I have only respect ( english speakers use ,,she,, when refering to boats...we use ,,she,, when refering to all kinds of thing, ussually very important ones, like tara=country, inima=heart) and in one occasion I met a croatian guy whith whom I had a few interesting disscutions.
    Catalin
    Did you enjoy Scotland?
    Which attractions did you visit?
    What attracted you to Scotland?

Catalin said:

Did you enjoy Scotland?
    Which attractions did you visit?
    What attracted you to Scotland?
    I was involved in a internship programme at the Scottish Government. Me and other four romanians. It was quite an experience...I hav just realised that sometemes we might seemed to be rude to some persons there. I mean I didn't know also about ,,yes please,, and ,,no please,,. In the same time a Scottish coming to Romania may find it surprising that men use to give their seat-when travelling- to women or shaking hands each time you meet someone you Know(for us it is a sign of confidence and people are very carefull the way others shake hands). So there are difference in cultures..
    I had been visiting a lot from Edinburgh to Wick in the far north of Scotland. It is a pitty Scotland is not promoted enough for it's sightes

18. Euridike said:

Hi everybody!

I'm from Lithuania, I'm new in this forum and also beginner in learning Romanian Since we don't have any Romanian language courses in my country, I'm trying to learn it by myself and this forum seems to be more than useful Thanks for the teachers and everybody who contributes!!
    That's it for now, I'll return later with some questions

countingstars said:

hey there Euridike!
    Lithuania? Labas!
    I was there, like 3 years ago, in Klaipeda and a bit in Vilnius. Learning Romanian isn't difficult, you'll see, especially with all the great people around here
    We'll be around in case u need help

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by emyiakab View Post
    Dear Mike, I am sorry for my long absence, let me explain to u some things:

"Ai fost in romania iulie 2009? A fost primul si ultima data cand am fost acolo. Mi-e dor de romania acum. :-< As placea sa vad muntii cu zapada.

Dar nu-mi-e dor de zapada sau de frigul. Aici in new york era foarte frig."

U can not say ''a fost primul" when r refer to "data" because "primul" is a masculine form while data is e feminine one!!!So, u say ''e prima si ultima data''
    And ''frig'' needs no article here, it is just frig!!!

The verb "a placea" is always accompanied by the shortened forms of pronoun, so correct is "Mi-ar placea". Anything else u want to know just ask!
    But u spelled correctly ''mi-e'' and plural for of ''munte'' and sometimes even Romanians misspell these!So, u r doing better and better.
    Hi emy, thanks for your corrections and explanations! It makes sense now that I look at what I wrote with your words in mind. And I did not realize about "a placea". But now I do and i will remember it.
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decāt răspunsul.