Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Thread: Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Tags: None

ilus_lill said:

Quote Originally Posted by krityx View Post
    Transylvania is really the best part of the country. Wouldn't recommend going beyond the Carpathians as ilus said. Maybe only to the North of (the region) Moldavia, like Iasi or something. Further down south, there's nothing to see.
    About the doctors here, I don't know. You have to know which doctor you're going to, just don't go to a random one. There are very good doctors here you just gotta ask around a bit to see who you should go to. Of course there are some that are young and thus unexperienced or some that are lazy and want to get you out of their sight asap etc. I only go to private doctors here, public hospitals are dirty and a lot of idiots there, long lines etc.
    And yeah you're right about not willing to move here, no one in their right mind would want to.

Oh and btw dobrogea is the region of south east romania, in the south below the carpathians is oltenia to the west and the rest muntenia, while to the east of the carpathians is moldova
    But as I understand, all doctors are "private" there, because even if they are not officially private, you still have to bribe them or you don't get any attention at all. Anyway that's what my new Romanian relatives told me. They were very surprised to hear that I didn't pay a cent when I had my baby in Estonian hospital in good conditions. Although before that I had spent a year in England and not working, still I was covered. When women in Romania go to have a birth, they always have to bribe the doctors, or they risk to receive only the worst care. Or who can afford, goes to private of course, but then you have to pay anyway. Another thing about having babies there, is that lots of women do it by cesarean, for no medical reason, just they are afraid to give birth naturally. And for money you can get everything there, so it's not a problem. Whereas in developed countries, doctors do not allow it, because cesarean is considered much more dangerous than a natural birth both for mother and baby. Of course if you are a popstar and very rich, you can do what you like everywhere, no doubt about that. But really the doctors should be explaining the dangers of a cut to a woman who is strong and healthy and could have a baby naturally without a problem, instead of taking advantage of their vulnerable state and earn some extra money by making an operation. Also I have seen the scar of cesarean done by Romanian doctors and the one done in Switzerland. The first one being very long and visible, the latter nearly invisible.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Bribe them but how much, roughly?

CJ1978 said:

Talking The medical profession

Quote Originally Posted by smfc_stevo_smfc View Post
    My fantasy of moving to Romania (maybe even visiting) and speaking Romanian becomes more crushed the more I find out about the country...

I don't know about the doctors there in general. Perhaps she was just a one off, newly graduated doctor who didn't quite know what she was doing.
    You get them in every country. - I remember once seeing a doctor who had to look up a medical encyclopedia thing just to come to a diagnosis about whatever minor condition I had. I have never had a doctor do that in my other experiences.
    In my medical school we are taught that it is better to reference and double check when in doubt, particularly at the start of your career when it is so easy to make a mistake because you are anxious about doing the right thing. In modern medicine there is new research going on 24/7, all over the world and no medic nowadays could ever know everything. Research and continual development and learning as you go are all part of the job in medicine. As is continual appraisal and evaluation.

It is not easy being a Doctor and Doctors are not infallible, in any country. We have a tremendous responsiblity and great obligations to our patients and to our humanity. A Doctor NEVER stops being a Doctor wherever they go and whatever they are doing. Even as a lowly medical student I have learned this already.

As for medics in Romania I don't know enough about it to give an enlightened opinion. I do know this though that medicine is a calling and to have a duty to help others.

And you are correct Stevo, the Doctors in the film were awful and not like in Britain at all and I can only hope it was all in black humour as it said on the disc.

That's my little rant over.

Imi pare rau!

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by smfc_stevo_smfc View Post
    Scotland is paradise!
    We have beautiful landscapes, some of the greenest grass in the world, highland cows, irn-bru, Scotch whisky, neds, junkys, cold weather and rain.... What'd ya know... I don't live in paradise!

I'm not actually sure what I would want to see in Romanian to be honest. I really like the language but it's not a country that is advertised a lot in holiday brochures or known for it's landmarks and tourist attractions.

Anyone know of any good online tourist guides for Romania?
    I can name a few really nice things to see in Romania. Transylvania was the best as others had pointed out. If you go to Sibiu, you can rent a car for very cheap and drive to Hunedoara (2 hours) to see Castelul Corvinelor. I dreamt of that place for months until I was able to see it for myself. It was wonderful. However, if you do drive, BE CAREFUL going through Sebes!! One intersection was very difficult to manage. .

Brasov was my favorite! You gotta go. What an awesome city. Biserica Neagra!! Amazing interior. I was in such awe I couldn't stop cursing! I was soo tempted to getting clubbed by the guards because photography inside is forbidden

Brasov is within range of both Sinaia (Castelul Peles si Pelesor) (AMAZING) and Bran (Castelul Bran) (AMAZING BUT TOO MANY PPL). Also, the famous Transfagarasan which connects the two highest peaks in Romania. Gotta be done in summer though. I've seen amazing pictures of the landscapes of Zarnesti from a friend also. But it wasn't until after I returned.

Tirgoviste was very cool. Oh, how can I forget Sighisoara. Although, being the birthplace of Vlad Tepes made it way too much of a tourist town but it was very cool nonetheless.

Constanta. Although I was told afterwards that Mamaia is much better place for the beach.

My next trip I want to see northern Romania. From Timisoara to Cluj up to Bistrata Nasaud to Iasi. With many stops on the way! Can't wait!!

I'd like to see pictures of Scotland. Maybe you can recommend a nice site that shows it's beauty?
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

dragonfly93 said:

My dad worked in Edinburgh for a while; he absolutely loved it there! He had a really close friend there that he made; unfortunately, the friend passed away a few years ago from terminal cancer, leaving behind his wife and children...

I personally would love to visit, and I wanted to take a summer course there, but the exchange rate now is terrible!

It will just have to wait... *sigh*
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

dragonfly93 said:

I was listening to a Romanian learning Podcast on my iPod; the teacher had a Scottish accent.

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    I was listening to a Romanian learning Podcast on my iPod; the teacher had a Scottish accent.
    =))))) that must be funny

8. Un_Angel_Caido said:

I visited Romania back in 2007 and I had a great time. I don't know much about docors etc but that shouldn't stop anyone from visiting. Like any place it has its good and bad things but you can't beat the experience. One thing I do advise, be careful with taxis you get on the street, I got overcharge 3 times. It didn't break the bank. Just make sure to call or have someone call one for u. This August me and a friend are planning on going there again. So my advice is if you get a chance Go and experience romania. O by the way, pana acum romania are cele multe frumoase fete pe care le-am vazut vreodata

ilus_lill said:

To be honest, my biggest impression was the gypsy houses. About two years ago in summer, we had a trip by car all the way from UK until Mangalia near the Black Sea. We crossed the Hungarian-Romanian border and were heading towards Cluj Napoca, where we made a little stop, after that to Brasov and so on. Because there is no motorway, you have to go over all the mountains, through all the villages. Beautiful scenery (but you should try this when 7 months pregnant, like I was ; ), mountains covered with thick forests, romantic villages. Suddenly in the middle of a village you see something of a Taj Mahal, or how else to describe it - some palace with silver-coloured walls, and pink towers. 'What palace is that?', I'm asking my other half. - 'Oh that, that is just a gypsy living quarters.' We drive on, and after 100 metres there's another one, and another. And then comes one really huge building, looking like Chinese pagodas. Absolutely surreal, and so cool.
    (Then again, I don't know how happy Romanians would be, hearing that my biggest impression about Romania was connected to gypsies, as they tend to blame all the problems they have in their country with this nation. Although there are just 2 million of gypsies and 20 million of non-gypsies.)

dragonfly93 said:

*sigh* if only I had the time... Or money, but the exchange rate for me is terrible! I will continue to teach myself Romanian.

dragonfly93 said:

If anyone here wants Romanian music files by the way, I can send them. And if you want CDs... You can burn them to a disc, I guess
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 02-10-2010 at 09:03 AM.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Before I forget I'll post this and then reply to the other posts:

Oh come on Layla! I just got diverted from one topic to another and then onto this one just to reply to Dragonfly's post on Eurovision. Couldn't you have at least gave us a warning?

Anyways... Dragonfly, in reply to the stuff on that previous topic - Yeah. I think Mike should start a new "buz" trend.:P

Also, I'm glad the the UK is automatically in the final because if we weren't, we'd probably not even make the final. Europe seems to dislike us in Eurovision.
    I'm not really a fan of Eiffel 65 but I liked Blue (daba de dabba da) at the time.
    Never heard of Bloom 06.

I haven't followed Eurovision for that long. Patricia Kaas was OK this year but not one of my favourites. I really liked Sebastien Tellier with the song "Divine". That was really catchy. I think that was in Serbia 08.
    I understand why the French insist that they sing in French but I am annoyed that they forced Sebastien to add more French lyrics to his song.

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    *sigh* if only I had the time... Or money, but the exchange rate for me is terrible! I will continue to teach myself Romanian.
    are you in america? i can say that on 500 USD can take care of 2 ppl VERY comfortabaly for at least 2 weeks. Twice that if you don't eat everything in site. (And no offense to my romanian friends. i love you all and maybe its an italian-american thing, but i can't grasp the concept of ketchup on pizza! :-O )

A 4-star hotel cost me $70 lei per night in constanta. that was equivalent to around $30 USD!!! Most of the places I stayed were more like 20-30 lei per night for a pension. And there were plenty of those all over.

a new buz trend? what did I do this time?? I think I missed something :P

dragonfly93 said:

Nope, you didn't miss anything

I just meant calling it a buz instead of autobuz.

Yes, I am in the US. That's good to know about the exchange rate! Although I don't have the time anyways... But some day it would be nice to visit. My friend's mother lives in New York and Romania, so maybe one day I will ask her.

mike123 said:

You wont regret it when you do!

=)) Ahhhh, I see what you meant when you said buz trend! From the thread that was closed. forgive me because I can be very slow at times! :P

dragonfly93 said:

LOL I know it was confusing because of the thread closure! You're not the only slow one here, by the way

dragonfly93 said:

By the way... No offense, but isn't Brașov the place where Dan Bălan (Crazy Loop) fell through the stage floor when performing "Take Me Higher"?

I know that has nothing to do with the beauty of the city (which I'd like to see) or the quality of life there (or does it??)...
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 02-11-2010 at 05:47 PM.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

I seen that video. That was funny. LOL
    Was he alright though? Did he hurt himself?

FlyAwaySmiling said:

I found this link, regarding Dan Balan's fall
    http://highliferomania.blogspot.com/...la-brasov.html

If you don't understand, it seems like he suffered a contusion in his leg...He took a 2 week break in order to recover.
    "Life is not about the numbers of breaths you take, but more about the moments which take your breath away"...

dragonfly93 said:

Wow, I saw on YouTube but wasn't sure if he was injured. I had a contusion once; it was on my back and rather painful. I got it from jiu-jitsu, though. I got kneed in the back by someone twice as heavy as I was!