Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Thread: Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Tags: None

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Yes, that's the Mainland European way of writing digits, keep in mind that something that says 3,00 is actually 3.00, and something that is written as 3.000 is 3000 so don't get confused with prices!
    That's screwed up

Quote Originally Posted by kamadeva View Post
    i looked online and the most expensive one i found was 149,00 lei , but their expensive either way; only fans and morons buy them.
    349,99 was the most expensive. The 149,99 ones aren't actual replicas because they don't have the sponsor on them and other details.
    Last edited by smfc_stevo_smfc; 02-23-2010 at 01:49 PM.

dragonfly93 said:

Quote Originally Posted by smfc_stevo_smfc View Post
    That's screwed up

349,99 was the most expensive. The 149,99 ones aren't actual replicas because they don't have the sponsor on them and other details.
    No offense to anyone, but that's like in China... so many cheap replicas I haven't been there but I know from what I've heard. My dentist gets in toothbrushes supposedly made by Colgate; but they say "made in China" on the back, so you can tell they are forged.

I would order directly from the team's official site if I were you, Stevo. That way, you can at least refund if you don't like it, and it's official gear (I would think).
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

mike123 said:

That's screwed up
    hahaha ) don't worry, america uses the decimal point also
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

No offense to anyone, but that's like in China... so many cheap replicas I haven't been there but I know from what I've heard. My dentist gets in toothbrushes supposedly made by Colgate; but they say "made in China" on the back, so you can tell they are forged.

I would order directly from the team's official site if I were you, Stevo. That way, you can at least refund if you don't like it, and it's official gear (I would think).
    China, Thailand etc. I think are well known for cheap replica tops. The cheapest Steaua top I mentioned there was something like that, except it was on the official Steaua shop site so it was like an official cheap replica...

Anyways... I think Europe is kind of weird that way. Like in the UK I think you just get official replica kits. Like exact replicas of what the team wear.
    I've seen on Spanish, Italian, Romanian official sites tops labelled as "original" and other unusual things and they are the exact replicas.
    While cheaper versions that look so different from the team's kit is called a "replica".

Because of the exchange rate just now, I think they will be obviously more expensive anyways. Although I remember before the recession they still seemed quite expensive.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    hahaha ) don't worry, america uses the decimal point also
    Yeah, I know. I was in Florida for 2 weeks a few years ago.

I like how Europe use metric for everything. In comparison to America, I preferred it because I'm used to seeing celsius when watching the weather on TV instead of farrenheit.
    The UK is screwed up in a way. We're selective about what's metric and what's not. - We still have pints of beer instead of litres, we still have MPH as speed limits instead of km/h, some things are measured in lbs and oz instead of Kg.

I prefer speeds in MPH instead of km/h and the time as am/pm instead of 24hour clocks, even though I have to admit that the Europeans are right on those 2.
    I hate measuring things in lbs and oz. I studied physics in high school so I was used to metric.
    But this whole comma instead of a dot thing in currencys is just annoying and confusing.

dragonfly93 said:

I think the metric system is better, and since I live in the US but visit France a lot, I am used to most of the systems... Except I still have to think a bit about the kilometer as opposed to mile and Celsius versus Fahrenheit. I can read either time system pretty well, though.

I live in Florida , where did you go?

mike123 said:

I'm getting better with celcius instead of fahrenheit, but still a long way off, like my romanian. :-<

Miles are just easier for me to relate to. I had to drive a car from canada once and I needed to look twice at the speedometer when I saw that I was doing 100 on a highway.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

I think the metric system is better, and since I live in the US but visit France a lot, I am used to most of the systems... Except I still have to think a bit about the kilometer as opposed to mile and Celsius versus Fahrenheit. I can read either time system pretty well, though.

I live in Florida , where did you go?
    I was in International Drive. Visited Disney Land's water park, Epcot, the main Disney Land, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, Seaworld.
    The 2 weeks flew in so fast I can't actually remember it all. The most action packed holiday I've been on yet.

Just wondering... When you guys type in Romanian with the diacritics, do you have a special keyboard setup or do you have to do it the long boring way by using the character map?

mike123 said:

I was in International Drive. Visited Disney Land's water park, Epcot, the main Disney Land, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, Seaworld.
    The 2 weeks flew in so fast I can't actually remember it all. The most action packed holiday I've been on yet.

Just wondering... When you guys type in Romanian with the diacritics, do you have a special keyboard setup or do you have to do it the long boring way by using the character map?
    you have to add Romanian to the keyboard mapping.

= Control Panel >> Regional And Language Options

A dialog box will open. Select "Languages" Tab, then the "Details" Button.

Another dlg box will open. Press the "Add Button" And find Romanian.

OK/Apply everything and it should work. You can switch by pressing Alt+Shift Keys. You should also see an Icon down near your system clock which will toggle between <EN> and <RO>. You can also mouse click this to switch.

Let me know if you can't find it. I'll give a better explanation tonight when i'm in front of my laptop.

dragonfly93 said:

If you have a Mac like me, I can explain the Romanian keyboard

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

I don't have a Mac. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. I also don't have a "keys" button...

dragonfly93 said:

Oh, ok... hmmm... well, someone can solve this, I'M SURE!

mike123 said:

I don't have a Mac. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. I also don't have a "keys" button...
    there isn't a "keys" button. I meant that you press Alt+Shift (buttons). they are called keys. i don't know why. shift key, alt key, tab key, etc.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    there isn't a "keys" button. I meant that you press Alt+Shift (buttons). they are called keys. i don't know why. shift key, alt key, tab key, etc.
    After reading over that again "press Alt+Shift Keys" I feel like a right idiot. LOL.
    Because you had a capital K and I read it kinda quickly, I thought there was a "Keys" button and I was like, "What? I've never came across that one." LOL
    Anyways... Thanks Mike.

So at any time, while using any programs, all I have to do is press "Alt+Shift" after messing with the language settings?

I think I have it now. Mulţumesc.
    Last edited by smfc_stevo_smfc; 03-06-2010 at 05:18 PM.

mike123 said:

) yeah sorry about that Stevo, I saw that the capital K was probably waht threw you off.

mă bucur să aud

keep in mind that if switch to romanian keyboard in microsoft word, and then you click to use Internet Explorer (for instance), explorer wont use the rom keyboard. You'll need to switch it. However, if you go back to Word, it will still be using the Rom keyboard.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Thanks. What does "mă bucur să aud" mean?

dragonfly93 said:

It means "I'm glad to hear."

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

I may not know much "limba română" but one thing I like about the language is that if I find the English translation for a phrase, I can make the link between certain words because of the latin link.
    Such as "aud", the Latin "audi" and the English "audio".
    Or "inteleg" (understand), similar to the English word "intelligence" which stemmed from the Latin "intelligens".

Anyhoo... Mersi Dragonfly.

dragonfly93 said:

Same for me! I study Latin, so...

smileygal said:

helloo!!!
    I'm new on this thread but i am from romania from deva!!! im a small town gal!!! :P so wats doin yall??? i write songs on lyrics review ad i just wrote one so please check it out if you want! comment if you want!! i live in australia!!! woooooooo!!!! lol well i'm gonna go!!
    byeeeeeeeeee xoxoxoxox smileygal