Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Thread: Off-topic discussions in English related to Romania, Romanian language and culture...

Tags: None
  1. Crisa said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    crisssa, salutari din romania

Stiu , am facut o gluma :P

Ok, I was sure that it was a joke

You're still in Romania or you're back home? Where have you been in Romania ? Did you enjoy it ?

Sorry for my late answer

mike123 said:

Noooo, i'm back home :-<

Yes, it was really nice. I had a wedding to go attend which was in moreni, in dambovita. Other than that, I just stayed in Brasov for a couple days. Now, I am beginning to miss it there again!!
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

baby_girl_ said:

Lol...You were at one wedding in Moreni???Me too...can you tell me at whose wedding you were? If you don't mind of course..

4. Crisa said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    Noooo, i'm back home :-<

Yes, it was really nice. I had a wedding to go attend which was in moreni, in dambovita. Other than that, I just stayed in Brasov for a couple days. Now, I am beginning to miss it there again!!
    That's nice. Did you like the Romanian wedding ? .

dragonfly93 said:

Oooh, lucky... Like I said before Ești norocoș
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Can anyone recommend any good serving suggestions for mămăligă?

After finding out about it here on ATL, I've been curious to try it. So I bought some corn flour yesterday.

I think sour cream and cheese sounds good. On mamaliga.com, they used feta and cottage cheeses. I tried some feta tonight and it doesn't really seem to have much of a taste.
    Are there any other cheeses that go well with it?
    Parmesan maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Crisa View Post
    Mike mamaliga is very very good, especially the one with cheese and sour cream .

And you don't have to stir the crap out of it until your arm falls off lol
    I seen a video on Youtube and the guy did do quite a bit of stirring

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Update:

I just attempted making polenta and epicaly FAILED.
    There were small lumps of flour in it and I think the flour itself was too fine. I added some salt like suggested in many recipes I've seen and it tasted quite flavourless.
    I also noticed that recipes I've seen online are yellow while both my flour and "polenta" was white.

dragonfly93 said:

Haha, that's ok No one expects you to get it right the first time

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

And for the record: You DO have to stir the living daylights out of it!!!

dragonfly93 said:

LOL, ok, I'll remember that if I ever summon the courage to try it

11. Crisa said:

Steve I eat mamaliga with cheese and sour on the top, also with milk , with yogurt and some people it it with jam :d

For the cheese recipe: after mamaliga it's done you put on a pot a little butter , let it to melt and then put an amount of mamaliga , then cheese , then stir for the cheese to melt . You put it on a plate and then add sour on the top.

Oh I'm so bad at saying recipes , I hope you understood.

I don't know what feta is. I use cottage cheese. But I think it works with all tips of cheese (many use sheep cheese ...)

I don't know why some people stir so hardily , maybe it's because of the flour

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Steve I eat mamaliga with cheese and sour on the top, also with milk , with yogurt and some people it it with jam :d

For the cheese recipe: after mamaliga it's done you put on a pot a little butter , let it to melt and then put an amount of mamaliga , then cheese , then stir for the cheese to melt . You put it on a plate and then add sour on the top.

Oh I'm so bad at saying recipes , I hope you understood.

I don't know what feta is. I use cottage cheese. But I think it works with all tips of cheese (many use sheep cheese ...)

I don't know why some people stir so hardily , maybe it's because of the flour
    Thanks. Feta is a Greek, white, crumbly cheese.

What corn flour do you use? Is it really fine like powder or is it in bigger particles?

13. Crisa said:

Mike feta looks similar with some cheese from Romania ... Oh wiki says feta it the romanian telemea ....that's why it looked familiar to me ....New word on my vocabulary

We use a fine powder corn flour .

kmmy said:

I personally love mamaliga. While at my grandparents I used to ask grandma to make some quite often and I used to replace the bread with it at dishes like tocanita, ostropel de pui, fried fish.

From the above the only thing i didn't try is mamaliga with jam However I tried it with sugar, you had to let it solidify a bit though ) it was quite popular among the kids when I used to spend my summer holidays at my grandparents, especially when there was no shop and you ran out of sweets. uhhh chiiiiildhoood :X

Mike feta looks similar with some cheese from Romania ... Oh wiki says feta it the romanian telemea ....that's why it looked familiar to me ....New word on my vocabulary
    Crisa feta is different than telemea. Let's say feta is creamier, in my opinion a bit sour, anyway even though many ppl like it and I love everything about Greece I have to admit that I don't like feta, or at least I didn't buy the right one lol

15. Crisa said:

Kmmy I don't like it with jam , and with sugar I've never tried it .

Well I've haven't heard about feta before , so I posted what wiki said about it. You know better , then what's the thing with this feta

dragonfly93 said:

Feta cheese is pretty good... Not my fave, but good enough I have tried a large number of cheeses from France and Italy, Lol

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

I'm a fan of cheddar cheese. Especially the white ones.
    I also like Buvarian smoked, mozzarella and parmesan.

I don't like blue cheeses.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Bună tuturor! How has everyone been?

I recently seen in a magazine feature on Alexandra Stan that her home town (Constanța) is known as the Ibiza of Eastern Europe. Is that a fair comparison?

What is Constanța like?
    Would you recommend it for a week long summer holiday?
    Does it have the same/similar nightlife to Ibiza?
    Is it as welcoming to foreign tourists as Ibiza?
    Any good places to eat/sleep?
    Last edited by smfc_stevo_smfc; 09-04-2011 at 06:38 PM.